Wells Fargo multiple accounts download

butlerjw

12 May, 2021 06:37 PM

My bank, Wells Fargo, recently changed the account number for my checking account. Using the account editing tools in Moneydance I entered the new account number for my checking account. I then went into the MD online tools, disabled online banking for this checking account and for my WF Visa credit card account and WF Advisors brokerage accounts, which all use the same user ID and password for online access. I then closed and restarted MD and set up online banking again for each of these WF accounts, using my new WF user ID and password. When I then attempted to download these accounts, I got for each of them an error message telling me that the User ID or Password was incorrect and not recognized by the WF server and that I needed to connect with WF at https://www.wellsfargo.com/fmssetup to obtain an authentication code. I did that and entered the authentication code on the WF site. Back to MD, I again disabled online banking for all the WF accounts, closed and reopened MD, and set up online banking for each of the WF accounts. I am now able to connect with all of them except the checking account. I have disabled and reset the checking account information in MD and have obtained and entered on the WF site a new authentication code several times, I continue to be able to download from the other accounts but can't find any way to connect to the checking account. I have checked and rechecked to confirm that I am using the correct WF checking account number and the correct password and user ID. What am I missing?

1. 1 Posted by dtd on 12 May, 2021 09:35 PM

just a user, and don't have a specific answer

but when I encounter this (in totally different situations) I usually create a brand new moneydance file (or a test file - a copy of a backup) and try to set up OFX download on a brand new checking account (or whatever) within the test.

I often find that it works in the new account, which suggests there is something wrong in my live file. I then have methodologies to solve that.

If it doesn't work in the new account - that makes me look much more carefully at account numbers, etc. For example, in the checking account (live), does it show the new number/checking account in the pick list? And you pick it, but it still doesn't work?

Hope that at least gives you a direction to look at.

2. 2 Posted by dtd on 12 May, 2021 09:37 PM

Looking at my message - if you do this test - create a NEW checking account, don't try to do the "same thing" (i.e. use your current account).

3. 3 Posted by butlerjw on 17 May, 2021 03:53 PM

Did as you suggested and am able to download my Wells Fargo checking account transactions into a "new" checking account in the test file. I simply opened a recent backup of my live MD file, renamed it as TEST, deleted the Wells Fargo checking account, created a new checking account, set that up for online access and was able to download everything from the beginning. But I don't know how to get those transactions into a checking account in my live MD account in a way that shows the other side of payments and transfers to/from other accounts. The downloaded transactions in the test checking account also need to be coded to particular categories. What "methodologies" do you have to solve these problems?

4. 4 Posted by dtd on 17 May, 2021 04:51 PM

just a user

Well, first, we know "something" is odd about your current checking account. (I don't know what, I've just encountered similar issues.)

My next step is to START OVER with another backup of your live file to run a second test.

So, testing again, but this time we are going to PRETEND this is your live file. (I do NOT recommend doing this on your live file YET.)

So don't delete the checking account, but do create a new one. Batch move all of the transactions from the original account that isn't working right (this may take a while if you have tons of transactions as I do). Rename the original account "bad", and move all the information (preferences, name, etc.) over to the new account.

Basically we are trying to just create the complete account all over again, as I do not know of a way to fix something that I'm not even sure what is wrong. (I do have guesses)

Once you have a new complete account, delete "bad". Hopefully, we now have the exact same things as before, but with an account that will work. Now try setting up online banking and downloading.

If this works, then it should just be as it was before, with things working. Given your statement about categories and linkages, I'm assuming you enter the transactions manually and use the download for verification/merge. If not, then it seems like the download would be the same as with your previous test, as you would have had to do categories/linkages anyway.

Here is a thread where I talk about the same problem I have had (at least 3 times) with Chase.
    https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/online-banking

Hope that helps. I'm just a user, which is why you really need to test this to see if it works for yourself.

5. 5 Posted by dtd on 17 May, 2021 04:58 PM

Correct link:
    https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/online-banking/18850-multiple-logins-to-same-institution-chase-a-problem-again

And it can never be said enough - export a backup before any operation like this.

6. 6 Posted by dtd on 17 May, 2021 05:09 PM

A different methodology is to remove the Wells Fargo profile completely (with a python script or Stuart Beesley's toolbox) and recreate it - though you'd then have to set up all 3 accounts again, but hopefully a "fresh" profile would fix the problem as well.

Given 10 accounts for me, I prefer the more hands on approach of what I posted above.

7. 7 Posted by butlerjw on 17 May, 2021 05:34 PM

Thanks much. This should work. I'll try it and let you know. May be in an hour or two.

8. 8 Posted by butlerjw on 17 May, 2021 06:23 PM

I'm back in business, able to download all of my Wells Fargo accounts. Thanks a million for your help!

9. 9 Posted by butlerjw on 17 May, 2021 06:24 PM

I'm back in business, able to download all of my Wells Fargo accounts. Thanks a million for your help!

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

10. butlerjw closed this discussion on 17 May, 2021 06:25 PM.

11. dtd re-opened this discussion on 17 May, 2021 07:10 PM

12. 10 Posted by dtd on 17 May, 2021 07:10 PM

just a user

Glad I could help.

13. Maddy closed this discussion on 17 May, 2021 07:18 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac