Who is using tags? How are you using them?

randolph

08 Aug, 2020 11:13 PM

Enquiring minds want to know. 

1. 1 Posted by mhoggie on 09 Aug, 2020 03:05 AM

just a user,

I can see a use for TAGS to associate various activities to a special project or tally. But otherwise I found no use

2. 2 Posted by dwg on 09 Aug, 2020 04:24 AM

I'm a fellow user.

As a regular user of the forums I have not noted much use of Tags,

Tags are a filter mechanism. I envisage their primary use is in Income and category reports to filter a subset of transactions.

An example may be expenditure on a holiday, so you are likely to have fuel, rent, food etc. These appear in your Income and expense reports but there is no way to just see holiday expenses, using a tag of say Hol2020 and assigned this to each transaction then in the I & E report setting a filter tag of Hol2020 will only show these transactions.

3. 3 Posted by jeff_l on 09 Aug, 2020 06:38 AM

Like the others, I have used tags so as to get a true idea of expenditure say of (hopefully) a non recurring event. In this case my daughters wedding last year! Phew, still not fully recovered financially.

The hardest thing to do with Tags is to delete them. You use the Extension Find & Replace to do it, but as I need to delete them so infrequently I can never quite remember the procedure.

If you want to experiment with tags I would suggest you create a new Test File & have a play so as to make sure you are conversant with both adding & removing them.

Jeff – Fellow User

4. 4 Posted by kuryan.thomas on 18 Aug, 2020 05:34 PM

I use tags to differentiate my spending from my wife’s, e.g., how much did *I* spend on gas or hobbies or whatever.

5. 5 Posted by randolph on 19 Aug, 2020 06:47 PM

Thanks for the replies!

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac