assigning categories in moneydance

Sam Vimes

20 Jan, 2021 11:20 AM

Hi testing out moneydance.
I can see that after import one can right click -> batch edit -> assign category.

However, does Moneydance learn? ie if you imported exactly the same transaction but different date will it auto assign? Or do I have to click and assign every single time?

Just done a test of this and it seems I have to manually assign everytime?

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 20 Jan, 2021 08:09 PM

I'm a fellow user.

I'm assuming you are talking about importing transactions from a file downloaded from your bank.

Moneydance does learn from past transactions but what you are doing does not facilitate this.

When you import downloaded transactions they should have a blue filled circle next to them, you then go through the confirmation process where you assign a category to the transaction and accept it into the register. Ir is from this confirmation process that the software will learn the likely category association for a particular payee/description and suggest it in the future.

https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/online-banking-and-bill-pay/confirm-downloaded-data

It would be very presumptuous for the software to silently associate categories and accept them into the register without your approval, especially as some businesses that sell products that fit into different categories.

Batch change is more intended when you need to fix something that was incorrectly set or transaction put into the wrong account etc.

2. 2 Posted by Public Address on 22 Jan, 2021 12:29 PM

HI thanks for the reply but I am a bit confused as new to this.

Is it correct then as part of the workflow I need to

1 - Import
    2 - Categorise
    3 - Confirm

And then moneydance will learn? So I am missing step 3 of the process?

Also, once learnt where does Moneydance show it’s learning because you state that software “to silently associate categories [my text: from its learning] would be very presumptuous.” So where are the relationships shown and is it possible to edit them/amend them as I agree that there should be no black box of such learning, that is certainly not what I want. As stated I want to “import exactly the same transaction but different date and auto assign?” And not have to click and recategorize every time [for the same transaction]
    Thanks

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Maddy on 22 Jan, 2021 03:56 PM

Hi,
    Thank you for contacting Moneydance support.

If you haven't already, I'd recommend taking a look at this article from the Knowledge Base that details recognizing and confirming your recently downloaded data.

When transactions have been recently downloaded, they'll be 'unconfirmed' which is signified by a blue dot in the register.

To begin the confirmation process, select the first transaction in the register with a 'blue dot'. A panel will appear on the right of your screen which shows the 'Current Transaction' details. You can amend the category within this panel, then select 'Confirm'. You'll see the solid blue dot change to a blue circle. Moneydance will then move to the next unconfirmed transaction in the register.

As you go through this process it will become quicker and easier. Moneydance will begin to recognition the information you have previously confirmed, and start to suggest the correct categories within 'Similar Payees' in the panel on the right.
    The next time you download from the bank many of the correct categories will automatically be assigned, and this will improve and you confirm more transactions.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions or need more assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

4. 4 Posted by Public Address on 22 Jan, 2021 03:58 PM

Thanks – are these rules visible and editable?

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Maddy on 22 Jan, 2021 04:11 PM

Moneydance contains a feature called "Batch Change", which allows you to make changes to a single transaction, or multiple transactions at once, in case you need to make any changes.

Batch Change allows you to make changes to the Description, Check#, Memo, Tags, Category, and Account fields in the register.

For further details about this function, please refer to this article in the Knowledge Base.

When using the Batch Change option, the accounts list will show only accounts containing the same currency as the account you want to move transactions from.

--

6. 6 Posted by Public Address on 22 Jan, 2021 05:14 PM

Sorry was this for me?

I was asking whether the rules you referred to here “As you go through this process it will become quicker and easier. Moneydance will begin to recognition the information you have previously confirmed, and start to suggest the correct categories within 'Similar Payees' in the panel on the right. The next time you download from the bank many of the correct categories will automatically be assigned, and this will improve and you confirm more transactions.“
    Are a) viewable and b) editable?

Thanks

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Maddy on 22 Jan, 2021 05:34 PM

Yes it was, and it refers to how you can edit one category or more by using the Batch Change feature.

For more details on the Confirmation process please refer to this article of the Knowledge Base. The screenshots included in the article should show what exactly you should expect to see during the process. To edit a "category" you can simply click on a transaction and its field will show a dropdown menu with all the available categories.

Hopefully this clarifies, alternatively you may want to explain further.

Thank you

--

8. 8 Posted by Public Address on 22 Jan, 2021 05:53 PM

Thanks Maddy

1. I get that one can batch change and assign categories. That was in my first post.

1. Dwg and you kindly pointed me to the confirmation process which also is the step that allows Moneydance to recognise and suggest categories.

1. My question is once Moneydance has started to recognise and learn which categories go to which transaction there must be a library [or similar] of rules it follows to do that. Can one a) see these rules in their entirety and b) if so, edit them?

I do not mean override or see the categories suggested for each imported transaction individually, I want to see the rule set as a whole.

Hope that is clear.

9. 9 Posted by adam_steiner on 22 Apr, 2021 12:28 AM

I, too, would like to know how to edit the rules that Moneydance builds up for matching categories to transactions. Some transactions it just doesn't recognize.

10. 10 Posted by dwg on 22 Apr, 2021 04:23 AM

I'm a fellow user.

Moneydance does not store any rules for this. The software generates the suggested categories from previous entered and confirmed transactions that are in the register. The software is thus doing this dynamically.

11. Maddy closed this discussion on 23 Apr, 2021 01:10 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac