Sharing MD account via the *.moneydancesync* folder?

boreham

27 Feb, 2021 02:58 PM

One of my MD accounts is for my 96 yr old mother in a Care Home.

If I enable sharing for the .moneydancesync folder in my Dropbox with my sister, would she be able to see the accounts and both of us operate it on a day to day basis?

I somehow suspect the answer to that is going to be no because it is not in her Dropbox account, only in my account shared with her.

Alternatively, if I suddenly became incapacitated could she download the .moneydancesync folder, and put it in her Dropbox account and take over from me?

Thanks

1. 1 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 27 Feb, 2021 03:10 PM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER's Avatar

I think the MD coding makes assumptions about the location (i.e. the exact folder location/name) and I don't know if what you suggest about sharing the DB folder will work (but I suggest you try it and see what happens; others may have more knowledge about this).

Do you or she use your dropbox accounts for anything else? If not, why not all log in to the same account?

On your last question... If she has access to download your .moneydancesync folder, then I think as long as it's put back in exactly the right place, that MD will open it; as long as she knows the Sync encryption key you set up? Another one to test out.

Alternatively, why not just do File/Export backup once per month; and stick that resulting *.moneydancearchive file in the shared dropbox folder. She can download, store on her hard drive, restore from backup, and open that if you were incapacitated. (again as long as she knows your master password (this is different to the sync key)...

(not support, just a fellow user)

2. 2 Posted by boreham on 27 Feb, 2021 03:37 PM

Thanks very much Stuart....lot of good thoughts there!

I do currently use Dropbox for other things, but a lot of that is related to our mother anyway. It wouldn't be difficult for me to make it dedicated to things related to her. I don't know if my sister uses it for other things.

On the sudden incapacitation case, you said "If she has access to download your .moneydancesync folder, then I think as long as it's put back in exactly the right place". Surely the right place is just the root level in her Dropbox folder? Then when she sets up using Dropbox Folder method it would look for and find it there. Good point about sync encryption key.

Exporting a moneydancearchive file is probably the most straightforward but I am puzzled by the master password comment. I am not aware of creating a MD master password. EDIT just realised that setting a master password is optional and I haven't done it. Maybe I should since the file is being shared.

Thanks again, very helpful.

3. 3 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 27 Feb, 2021 04:28 PM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER's Avatar

Yes, exactly: /Users/xxx/Dropbox/.moneydancesync/* (on a Mac) or the equivalent location on Windows etc..? But please test this procedure before you use/rely on it...!

If you lose the Sync password, you are snookered!

You do encrypt your MD dataset, you just don't realised. It is encrypted by default with a secret internal key... If this is the case, then you don't need to worry about it.. However, if you set a 'Master password' manually, then you are changing the encryption key and this would need to be shared with your sister...

If I was voting on the solution, I would all share the same dropbox account for MD and stick your other files elsewhere like iCloud or GoogleDrive or MS Onedrive....

(not support, just a fellow user)

4. 4 Posted by derekkent23 on 27 Feb, 2021 06:14 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi boreham

I use Moneydance sync to sync data between two different computes. The two computers use different Dropbox accounts. Enter a transaction in one and it appears in the other within 60 seconds.
    In your Dropbox account in the cloud, you can select the folder “.moneydancesync” and share this folder with your sister. It simple, as part of the process she is sent an email from Dropbox inviting her to accept the invitation to share. Once this is done the “.moneydancesync” folder will appear in her Dropbox folder. In Moneydance she needs to click FILE (MONEYDANCE in Mac) – NEW – OPEN SYNC FILE and follow the process.

Hope this helps.

5. 5 Posted by boreham on 27 Feb, 2021 07:03 PM

Thanks Derek. Very good to know, and a bit surprising. Two good options now!

Thanks both.

6. 6 Posted by dtd on 27 Feb, 2021 07:29 PM

just a user... i also use the "two dropbox accounts" solution using my dropbox and my spouse's dropbox.

The basic answer is to share the sync folder between the two accounts, and thus it basically acts as one account, since the sync folder now is in both accounts.

7. 7 Posted by dwg on 27 Feb, 2021 08:14 PM

Work was done some years ago to prove that sharing Dropox accounts works.

It was only tested with Dropbox folder if I recall correctly. I do not think anyone has tried it with Dropbox Connection.

We never got to the bottom of it but one user at least had to use the Shared Folder option and navigate to the correct folder. It is possible it was due to the level the folder was at or that his dropbox folder was in a non-standard location but we did not have enough information to resolve the question.

8. 8 Posted by boreham on 28 Feb, 2021 12:12 AM

Thanks for further inputs.

After discussing with my sister I think we will go with the frequently updated moneydancearchive file so that she could take over....rather than both using it ongoing via .moneydancesync . In practice over 95% of transactions are done by me.

Good to know we have the alternative.

9. 9 Posted by dtd on 28 Feb, 2021 01:45 AM

Great - find what works for your family Sounds good to me.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

10 Apr, 2021 12:14 PM
10 Apr, 2021 11:30 AM
10 Apr, 2021 11:16 AM