a couple of questions for my trial.

bill

25 Apr, 2021 09:35 PM

1. Are build updates free? When are yearly updates issued? If I start with 2021, is the free update 2022 or can I wait till 2024 to get the free update?
2. How do I access an imported saved report? I imported it but nothing opened and I can't find it.
3. Why is your Cleared and Reconciled definition reversed from Quicken's? In my mind Cleared means the transaction was processed by the Clearing house (bank or other) and Reconciled means I justified it against the Bank statement.
4. Why is the format in the reports inconsistent with the account RE the C column. x vs diamond and X vs circle? Of course using C and R would be a whole lot less confusing for both.
5. How is syncing different than using a common data file on a NAS?
6. My import from Quicken does not show posting date. Can I enable it?
7. Discover bank and credit are not listed but Quicken does download these. Did you miss that or do I need to do something to enable it?

thanks

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 25 Apr, 2021 10:15 PM

I'm a fellow user, this is my take on your questions.

1. When you purchase Moneydance directly you receive the current version plus a free upgrade to the next major release. All point updates within these major releases are also free. You cannot skip Major updates for your free upgrade . For example if you purchased Moneydance 2015 your free upgrade was to Moneydance 2017, you could not skip this and get a free upgrade to Moneydance 2019.

2. You cannot import reports into Moneydance so I'm not sure what you are doing here. You can import raw transaction data.

3. The values for the cleared status are Uncleared, reconciling and cleared. As far as I recall a cleared status in Quicken is the same as a cleared status in Moneydance. Do no confuse cleared with confirmed. Confirmation is the process used with transactions from a financial institution.

4. The Use of X, C & R in reports is consistent with the QIF standard in presenting the information. The use of Diamonds and circles on the screen I think is a design decision.

5. With using a common file there is no file or record locking, this raises the risk of data corruption if there is simultaneous access. In the PC type environment the only way of avoiding this with a common file is with the use of a client /server application, far too complex and expensive for an application like Moneydance. Instead it tkes the approach of each user having its own copy of the data and passing updates between machines.

6. The QIF specification only allows for one date in the transaction.

7. The most recent postings have been that Discover Bank has stopped supporting Direct Connect and are only supporting Web Connect. Direct Connect is an open Protocol and this is what Moneydance uses to automate transaction download. Automatic downloads via Web Connect are proprietary to Quicken. Without Direct Connect you can download and import transactions into Moneydance, the software supports the major formats used.

There is a long term plan to develop an alternative solution using the bank's Internet banking sites for those banks that do not support Direct Connect but that still has a way to go before it is ready.

2. 2 Posted by bill on 26 Apr, 2021 12:43 AM

thank you for a quick response.
    1. got it.

2. If I go to File > Import, the list includes the QIF files I imported and the CSV report file I saved. The report file was saved in the same folder. I get 2 follow on windows, the last one asking about fields. It actually looks like it is thinking the CSV file is a transaction file, not a report file. So, what is the use for the saved CSV file?

3. Cleared in QW means it was downloaded from the bank and therefore has Cleared the bank. Reconciled in QW means I have reconciled the account with the bank statement. In MD these are reversed as diamond = reconciled and circle = cleared where the diamond was placed on items that were cleared in QW and the circle on items that were reconciled.

4. x and X in the reports = diamond and circle in the register. C & R are not used in the reports or registers.

5. I understand the common file issue as that is the way I have QW setup now.
    I am trying to understand the sync part. If it truly syncs the file then it has to date each record when it is entered or modified and merge the sync file each time it is opened or closed. So if I have the "master" file on my NAS and my wife opens her's, it syncs with the master. Then if I open mine it will do the same thing. If I then make an entry and close mine, she won't know about it until she closes and reopens her's. Or is something else happening? Or maybe that isn't the way it works.

6. So, MD has no provision for posting date even when it downloads as in QW, correct? That only appears in QW when the transactions are downloaded and I can't download with MD trial.

7. I just pulled up the online connect in QW. It does use Express Web Connect BUT it tells me Discover supports the improved Direct Connect with different credentials and that I need to call Discover. I guess I will check that out.

Thanks for your time.
    Bill

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 26 Apr, 2021 01:50 AM

With syncing Moneydance has internal date stamps inside the transaction files, the software uses these to determine posting order.

When you do not want to use mobile devices you can use a folder on your NAS as the interchange location, that is a shared folder that all instances of Moneydance can access.

The software polls this location to see if they are any new updates and also places updates from the local system there for other systems to download. It polls the location around every 20 seconds from memory.

If Discover is now supporting a form of Direct Connect then that is something the Moneydance people will need to investigate. Express Web Connect is an aggregation service run by Quicken/Intuit.

As far as downloads are concerned there are no limitations in the trial release in this regard. I'm not sure what the alternative is to the posting date from the banks perspective, that is the only date the bank would know. If you enter transactions manually you have the option to use your manually entered date or the bank date.

In Moneydance Diamond indicates reconciling, this is an intermediate state only e.g.. you can mark it this way to indicates it is on the statement, however once the reconciliation has been completed this is changed to the green circle. These states have nothing to do with downloaded data.

Downloaded data is indicated by an Aqua coloured circle and downloaded and confirmed by an open circle, but these are not in the cleared field and are handled by a separate process.

Some financial institutions provide downloaded transaction data in the form of CSV files, in many case these can be imported into non-investment accounts, During import you are defining the column structure, so that Moneydance knows where to find what. The objective is to be able to provide as many ways as possible to import transaction data.

4. 4 Posted by bill on 26 Apr, 2021 02:28 AM

thank you again

I think I have it. Except the semantics of Reconcile vs Clear. When I imported an account from QW, the cleared items were assigned a diamond and the reconciled items were assigned a circle. MD defines them as reconciled and cleared, IE reversed. I guess I will adapt.

Thanks again.
    bill

5. 5 Posted by dtd on 26 Apr, 2021 05:13 AM

If you can find that Discover is supporting direct connect again, I would love to have that information. Discover is one of my few major accounts that I gave up on direct connect about six months ago.

I can download OFX files, so I've been content, but would love to know if they've restarted this (with Quicken, of course).

If I know the specifics of a new direct connection, I know a couple of folks that might even be able to make it work in Moneydance....

6. 6 Posted by bill on 26 Apr, 2021 05:44 AM

When I open Online Services in QW it says
    "Your financial institution supports an improved connection method"
    When I click to find out more, it tells me
    "For more information, contact Discover Bank"
    "www.discoverbank.com"
    "1-800-347-7000"
    That was for my bank account.
    My credit account is already using direct connect in QW using my normal UN and PW.
    Therefore, according to the MD knowledge base, that is all you need.

7. 7 Posted by bill on 26 Apr, 2021 05:50 AM

I just deleted the Web Connect form my bank account and reconnected using my UN & PW and it is now on direct connect.
    Try it and let me know how it works in MD.

8. 8 Posted by dtd on 27 Apr, 2021 10:26 PM

re discover... here are posts from when Discover fell off of the MD support list.
    Appears the "direct connect" bit is not the direct connect that MD will or can support given their commitment to privacy:

28 Posted by hleofxquotes on Sep 23, 2019 @ 11:42 PM
        I don’t speak for MD but I can give some insight on this issue:

Prior to recent outage, discover card/bank provides a PUBLICLY available direct connect OFX download via URL https://ofx.discovercard.com
        That URL is no longer accepting request. The outlook is bleak. I don’t think similar facility will be “publicly” available again.
        On Quicken “resolved”: Quicken is now using a non-public server.

29 Posted by Mark on Sep 24, 2019 @ 02:15 PM
        I asked on Discover’s online chat, and they said they no longer support non-intuit clients. (They mentioned Moneydance among others by name without prompting)
        I inspected the URLs that Quicken is using, and even when selecting Direct Connect in Quicken, the URL that it uses for Discover is a quicken / Intuit URL (so even Quicken customers who think they’re using Direct Connect are now sending their login details to them)

37 Posted by Sean Reilly on Sep 25, 2019 @ 02:23 PM
    In general what we are seeing in Quicken and a few other apps that use services such as Yodlee, is that they switch to using an OAUTH interface where the app company’s server is given access via the OAUTH token or just by taking the customer’s login+password(!). The service provider (aka Intuit/Mint, Yodlee, etc) then have access to your transaction data and accounts and their software (or web site) provides access to that copy of your data.
    We won’t be doing that, since we don’t want to ever possess any customer data. When our solution is ready, all of the data will live in the encrypted data file on your computer and any communication will be directly between your computer and the bank’s servers.
    --
    Sean Reilly
    Developer, The Infinite Kind
    https://infinitekind.com

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac