Exporting Income and Expenses Report to Excel

Julie Atkinson

02 May, 2021 10:31 AM

Please will you tell me how to export data from Moneydance into Excel.

I need to be able to export reports and also to separately export transactions both for data manipulation and as Excel backup.

Copy to clipboard doesn't work - it only copies what's on screen rather than on the whole document and anyway puts all data in one column so not useable.

I've tried saving a report (ie Income and Expenses) as comma deliminated but that doesn't work. Not sure why?

Many thanks.
Best wishes
Julie

1. 1 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 02 May, 2021 10:36 AM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER and Toolbox ‘guy’'s Avatar

I have an extract_data extension you can download from here. It creates csv files that you double click to import into excel.

https://yogi1967.github.io/MoneydancePythonScripts/

There are other ways and I’m sure people will jump in.

(Not support, just a fellow user)

2. 2 Posted by Julie Atkinson on 02 May, 2021 10:52 AM

Hi Stuart.

Thank you very much for your reply. Having read your link it looks as though you're suggesting I copy and paste the following file into the left hand column of my Moneydance. Have I understood that correctly?

https://infinitekind.com/app/md/extensions/extract_data.mxt

If I do this, is it likely to cause any problems and is it then obvious how to use this file to export to Excel?

Best wishes
    Julie

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 02 May, 2021 11:01 AM

I'm a fellow user.

Using the latest preview build I generated an Income and Expense report, using the copy to clipboard button at the top of the report and then pasting into a spreadsheet I did not have a problem.

Likewise selecting the Save button at the top of the report and then selecting the CSV format I was able to save the report and then import this into a spreadsheet.

Opening the CSV file in a text editor I can see no problem with it

4. 4 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 02 May, 2021 11:09 AM

Hi. You download the mxt file as you say. Then you drag and drop it onto the MD left hand side bar. OR use menu extensions/manage extensions/ add from file.

Once installed, click extensions, extract data. Then probably choose the extract account registers option. It will then be obvious. It will create a file that you can double click to load into excel.

5. 5 Posted by Julie Atkinson on 02 May, 2021 11:15 AM

Thank you so much Stuart and DWG.

I've just updated my Moneydance to the latest 2021 version (I was using 2019 I think) and now the export to excel seems to be working just fine, both via copy to clipboard and via save as comma deliminated. I'm SO relieved.

Many thanks for your help. :-)

6. 6 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 02 May, 2021 11:21 AM

Great. Preview build 3066 is the best version to use.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac