transferring Moneydance and files to another computer.

Bruce Benber

03 May, 2021 08:19 PM

Hello:

I am attempting to migrate from a 10 year old iMac to a new MacBook Pro. When doing the migration Moneydance transferred, but I can't find the data file. I exported a gif and sent it to the new computer. When I attempt to open it I get a Java exception error.

How to I match Moneydance to the right data file?

Thanks.

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 03 May, 2021 09:30 PM

I'm a fellow user.

There are a number of points here.

1. The basic instructions for moving Moneydance between systems is outlined in the Knowledge Base article:

https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/file-locations-and-changes/mo...

1. It is likely that your new machine will be running Big Sur. In this case you would need to use the latest preview version of Moneydance

https://infinitekind.com/preview

1. A Java error on trying to Import a QIF file indicates that you are probably using Moneydance 2021 Build 2006. There is a bug on the welcome screen in this release, use the preview build referred to above to resolve such errors.

2. QIF files should not be used to move data between different versions of Moneydance, you will lose information, the use of QIF files in the context of migration is to move data between completely different software programs. Rather you should copy Moneydance data sets 'as is' between systems, see the previously references article.

2. 2 Posted by Bruce Bender on 03 May, 2021 10:57 PM

I was trying to work from that article. But made the wrong decisions at the bifurcations.

I am running v version 2017.7 on the old computer. Catalina on the new one. Haven’t upgraded to Big Sur yet. So I downloaded version 2017. Guess I should go back and get a 2020 version.

Created the QIF because it was mentioned in at least one article as a way top move from one computer to another. Will just copy the file as is.

The whole file is 1.2Gb. Having trouble transferring it through Office 365.

Thanks.

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 04 May, 2021 01:34 AM

It is often easier to just use something like a USB key to copy the data between machines.

Moneydance 2019.3 was the minimum version for support of Catalina, but as 2020 is considered part of the same release you can certainly use that version. If you purchased Moneydance 2017 then Moneydance 2020 would be a free upgrade.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac