Importing MoneyDance

Paul Barrows

10 Jun, 2021 05:35 PM

Windows 10 on my old computer crashed. I am now working with a new computer with Windows 10. I have access to the old computer via Command prompt and want copy the data file(s) to the new computer. I need to know what file extensions I am looking for on the old computer.

1. 1 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 10 Jun, 2021 05:54 PM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER and Toolbox ‘guy’'s Avatar

You want the something.moneydance folder and all contents or the most recent something.moneydancearchive file

(not support, just a fellow user)

2. 2 Posted by dwg on 10 Jun, 2021 09:05 PM

I'm a fellow user.

With Windows in your user directory there is a folder called .moneydance, in this folder there is a folder Called documents i.e. c:\users\YourUserName\.moneydance\documents

All of the folders in documents are Moneydance data sets, so if you want every possible data set copy the contents of documents.

This all assumes that you left everything in the default location, if you have moved any data sets you will need to search for them by searching for folders/files with the extension .moneydance and .moneydancearchive.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Melissa on 11 Jun, 2021 09:03 AM

Hi,

I can see you’ve received replies from our knowledgeable Moneydance customers.

To add to this useful information I thought it's worth mentioning that if you're able to locate your Moneydance data: FileName.moneydance (on a Windows computer, the file will appear as a regular folder, without the orange Moneydance icon), you should take a copy of this file, and move it to the new computer.

On your new computer, move the FileName.moneydance file to the location you want it to be stored (preferably your Moneydance default data location - C:\Users\<username>\.moneydance\Documents). Later, open Moneydance and choose File --> Open --> Open Other (or 'Open Other' from the Welcome window).

Alternatively, you could transfer your Moneydance backup file: FileName.moneydancearchive using a USB, shared folder or whichever method you prefer.

On your new computer, double click the backup file to restore your data. Alternatively, open Moneydance and choose File --> Restore from Backup (or 'Import New Account Set' from the Welcome window).

When you restore your data in this way, a new data file is created in the default location for use going forward. The default location is accessible from Moneydance via Help --> Show Documents Folder.
    When you're happy with the data that populates into Moneydance, you can remove the backup file you transferred from the older computer.

I hope this information is helpful. Please do keep us updated with the progress and let us know again if you need further assistance or have any other queries. Thank you.

--
    Melissa, Infinite Kind Support

4. System closed this discussion on 10 Sep, 2021 09:10 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac