MoneyDance - Run Natively on Apple M1 Chipset

Ben Vone

20 Aug, 2021 07:38 PM

Hi -

I recently upgraded to a Mac Mini with Apple's M1 chipset. I saw a post from November 2020 that a version of MoneyDance to run natively was close. Is there a version I can install to run natively without the use of Rosetta available?

Thank you!

Ben

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 20 Aug, 2021 08:34 PM

I'm a fellow user.

At this time you need to use Rosetta.

It has been announced that Java 17 will have native M1 support. Late September was I believe the last date I saw on this.

2. 2 Posted by Ben Vone on 21 Aug, 2021 11:54 PM

Gotcha - thank you for the comment and detail, much appreciated!

3. 3 Posted by vseaslcm on 19 Oct, 2021 07:25 PM

Fellow user here.

It is now October 19th - there are multiple Java versions now available that support native M1 execution.

Could we have an update on native M1 support for Moneydance from the Moneydance team?

4. 4 Posted by dwg on 19 Oct, 2021 07:55 PM

I'm a fellow user.

Moneydance has not yet moved to Java 17. When asked I was informed that there was not time to incorporate a new Jave version into Moneydance 2022.0 and it will come in a later Moneydance revision to this version.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Maddy on 01 Nov, 2021 12:11 PM

@All

Since the release of Moneydance 2022.1 build 4058 Moneydance updated to java v17. So, we would recommend upgrading to the latest preview version. Moneydance 2022.1 (4060) is now available to download from this page.

For a full list of improvements in the preview version, please refer to this page.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions or need more assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

6. 6 Posted by peter3 on 01 Nov, 2021 12:52 PM

I am running 4060 on an Apple M1 iMac with OS Monterey.

It doesn't appear to be running natively yet, if that was the intention of updating JAVA.

For those who aren't aware you can check how an app is running by using the Apple Activity Monitor. The apps will be listed and indicate whether they are running as Intel (Rosetta) or Apple (natively).

7. 7 Posted by dwg on 01 Nov, 2021 08:46 PM

I'm a fellow user.

The Web page has not been updated to facilitate the download of the Apple arm version of Moneydance, the kit is available from the Moneydance software repository however:

https://infinitekind.com/stabledl/2022/

You want Moneydance.arm.dmg

8. 8 Posted by peter3 on 02 Nov, 2021 08:16 AM

Many thanks for the link.

I have two iMacs one is an M1 and the other is an older Intel. Will this download be integrated into future updates and then apply to both Intel and M1 macs or will it be necessary to download it separately.

9. 9 Posted by peter3 on 15 Nov, 2021 11:31 AM

dwg posted,

'You want Moneydance.arm.dmg'

I tried it on my M1 Silicom iMac and it didn't work. It required Java Runtime Environment.

10. 10 Posted by dwg on 15 Nov, 2021 07:38 PM

Moneydance builds have the Java run time that it requires embedded in the software hence I do not understand why you would receive the message.

The developer has said that he is not considering consolidating the Arm and Intel kits because of the size of the download it would create.

11. 11 Posted by BV on 16 Nov, 2021 01:35 AM

I received the same message as peter3 - kind of odd. Perhaps the support staff has some thoughts.

12. 12 Posted by SithTracy on 26 Nov, 2021 06:59 PM

I tried to download what I think is the M1 ARM version on Moneydance for the MAC from https://infinitekind.com/stabledl/2022/ (Moneydance.arm.dmg), but it wants to install Rosetta, guessing this is not yet truly M1 ready. Just got my MacBook Pro today. Any idea when there will be a native M1 version on Moneydance.

I ended up installing Rosetta and going with the standard x86-64 installer of Moneydance since the ARM application indicated it required Java and it appears to be missing from the ARM version as peter3 posted.

13. Support Staff 13 Posted by Sean Reilly on 29 Nov, 2021 01:18 PM

We've gotten Moneydance running with a native arm JVM, and we've also gotten the launcher compiled to a universal binary (runs natively on intel as well as arm). However, we still have a bit more to sort out in our release build scripts. It is close and coming soon!

Thanks,
    Sean

--
    Sean Reilly
    Developer, The Infinite Kind
    https://infinitekind.com

14. 14 Posted by SithTracy on 29 Nov, 2021 03:29 PM

Thanks Sean. For now it seems to be working just fine for me under Rosetta 2. Ran into a number of apps that are not native on M1 yet. A couple not working at all. So far really impressed with the M1 Pro chip and looking forward to seeing MD get updated. Been a user of MD since 2006 and it has served me well. Thanks for your efforts.

15. 15 Posted by vseaslcm on 28 Feb, 2022 01:27 AM

Wondering when we might see a MD native version for M1?

16. 16 Posted by SithTracy on 08 Mar, 2022 05:52 PM

I imagine this migration to Apple Silicon is challenging and I am sure it will get addressed in due time, but Rosetta 2 is working fine for the time being.

17. 17 Posted by weisspatti on 21 May, 2022 06:03 PM

I am a long time Mac user and MoneyDancer. I'm considering upgrading my old 2012 MacBook Pro and was reading about the M1 chips. I'm not sure I understand the technical specifications that everyone describes here, but it sounds like MoneyDance will work OK - just not directly from the M1 chip. I'm wondering if there are any updates from the MD team on this or if any other users are having issues I should be aware of? Thanks!

18. 18 Posted by jeff_l on 21 May, 2022 07:36 PM

The latest MD 2022.4 checks out as a Universal app under Mac OS Monterey System Report & under ArchiChect (see attached). This would indicate that it is already Apple Silicon compatible.

However, I can't find anywhere in the List Of Changes as to when this occurred, which is surprising. I don't have an M1 Mac, but hopefully someone will come back & confirm that MD is now a Universal App.

just a user

19. 19 Posted by peter3 on 22 May, 2022 07:13 AM

It may well be compatible with Silicon BUT it is actually running as an Intel app, not natively, according to the Activity Monitor on my Silicon iMac. My iMac is running Monterey 12.4 using Moneydance 4080.

20. 20 Posted by jody on 03 Jun, 2022 10:34 PM

I just switched to a new M1 Mac running Monterey and downloaded MD 2022.4. It is asking for Rosetta. Was the v.4 update supposed to run native on M1 Macs? I would rather not install Rosetta at the moment and would like to know if 2022.4 won't run without Rosetta.

What is the situation with MD on M1 Macs running natively at the moment?

21. 21 Posted by dwg on 03 Jun, 2022 10:59 PM

The most recent post from Sean was that the Mac version of Moneydance the installer was a universal applications but that Moneydance is using some Intel binaries so Rosetta is a requirement.

The indication was that when Native Mac support is introduced it will be a seperate download.

22. 22 Posted by jody on 03 Jun, 2022 11:04 PM

Thank you dwg for the update. Has there been any "real soon now" guesstimates of when native Mac support will be available?

Perhaps an Infinite Kind support rep could chime in with the latest info. I would like to wait until it is M1 ready to run it on my new laptop, so an official timetable would be welcome.

23. 23 Posted by dwg on 04 Jun, 2022 01:12 AM

TIK generally do not provide any estimates on time frames.

I've been participating in Moneydance forums and testing beta versions of the software for quite some time and to be honest TIK are not all that good at estimating time frames.

24. 24 Posted by Trevor S on 15 Jun, 2022 02:58 AM

I have installed MoneyDance for M1 on my laptop. It won't open when I run it from the Application folder through Finder. It complains with "Unable to load Java Runtime Environment."
    When I run it from the terminal using "/Applications/Moneydance.app/Contents/MacOS/Moneydanc", it will open and it works as expected.

I do have a Java Runtime Environment installed but I don't think it is necessary.

MoneyDance version 4078
    Mac OS 12.4

25. 25 Posted by dgreenbhm on 15 Jun, 2022 03:18 AM

It works for me. My version is 2022.4 (4087) also on 12.4 with M1Pro. I
    have Rosetta 2 enabled and have another JDK installed but agree I don’t
    think it is a requirement.

26. 26 Posted by Trevor S on 15 Jun, 2022 08:15 AM

It must be that Rosetta 2 hasn't been "installed" on my system yet. I found a "Rosetta 2 Updater" but that is the most that I have.
    I was never asked to install Rosetta 2 when I initially launched Moneydance. Not sure what needs to happen here. I can run the Updater to likely install it though.

27. 27 Posted by dwg on 15 Jun, 2022 09:11 AM

FWIW Moneydance comes bundled with and installs its own version of Java, it does not use any system installed Java.

28. 28 Posted by Trevor S on 18 Jun, 2022 03:49 AM

I have installed Rosetta now but Moneydance won't start via clicking on Moneydance in the Application folder. I can still open the application by running "/Applications/Moneydance.app/Contents/MacOS/Moneydance" in the terminal.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac