Duplicate a report in a different dataset

tgilbert666

15 Sep, 2021 11:11 PM

I have a handful of highly customised Moneydance reports in my personal dataset that I find very useful.

I've taken on the book-keeping (already established in MD) of a family trust and I'd like to replicate (preferably copy or export/import) those report definitions into that dataset. So far as I can tell there's no way to do that other than manually with screenshots or pen and paper.

Anyone have any suggestions to simplify my task and avoid errors creeping into the definitions? (To all intents and purposes, the chart of accounts / category list can be considered identical between the datasets. It's not exact but could be made so).

Cheers,

1. 1 Posted by -Kevin N. on 16 Sep, 2021 05:08 PM

Hi tgilbert666,

I think that the only way to do what you're looking to do is to make a copy of the entire data set.

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

2. 2 Posted by tgilbert666 on 17 Sep, 2021 02:54 AM

Thanks Kevin,
    Obliged for the confirmation. Yes, I was hoping to avoid that method. It will be tedious to delete historic transactions back to 1984 in 200+ accounts, not to mention then loading the necessary from the target dataset.

I think the lesser evil here is to screenshot all the setup screens and manually enter the details. Not looking forward to that exercise either!! :-)
    (And then no method to easily keep them in sync).

I wonder if there is an enhancement opportunity - perhaps not sufficient demand?

I was kind of hoping Stuart would jump in saying, "I have just the thing!!!" ;-)

3. 3 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 17 Sep, 2021 07:09 AM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER and Toolbox ‘guy’'s Avatar

😆. I have actually been pondering this. It would be technically possible, but there is nothing that has been done to date to do this. So for now, screenshot and recreate.

4. 4 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 17 Sep, 2021 07:14 AM

PS. From memory, the saved reports key off the hidden UUII of Accounts/Categories and in a dataset created from scratch, these would all be different. So whilst conceptually easy, quite tricky on this point alone.

Look at toolbox, general tools, reports. I think it shows you the settings.

5. 5 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 17 Sep, 2021 03:58 PM

A different thought... Just make a copy of live dataset.. Run a simple script to delete all Txns - easy.... (ish) 😏

6. 6 Posted by tgilbert666 on 18 Sep, 2021 05:51 AM

Thanks Stuart, Both good suggestions, and I'll add them to my list. For the moment, it's tax time in Aus and copying from screenshots will get me moving forwards fastest so I'll revisit this once I clear the decks of tax returns.
    I do appreciate the suggestions!
    Cheers,
    Tony

7. System closed this discussion on 18 Dec, 2021 06:00 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac