The filename is getting very long.

Lauryn Westwood

20 Sep, 2021 09:51 PM

MY accounts backups - Each time MoneyDance updates/upgrades it adds the new details to the file name.

Personal Finances-2020-1242-20181013-0708-20190404-1859 2 2_2020-09-26_2020-10-05_2020-10-10_2020-10-19_2020-10-22_2020-10-26 2_2020-10-27_2020-11-29_2021-02-26_2021-04-06_2021-05-02_2021-07-08.2021-09-18.moneydancearchive

See above...It's huge. Is there anyway I can get this shorter or have I done something wrong?
Any help is appreciated.

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 20 Sep, 2021 10:19 PM

I'm a fellow user.

The filename you are showing points to using an incorrect methodology in using Moneydance data files and backups.

What it indicates to me is that what is happening is that a backup is being created, then the backup is being opened and used then another backup created this is being then open and used and so on.

This is not the approach to take and in the end you will get file name errors.

Based on the name you have I expect to see a data set called Personal Finances.moneydance. This will not be a single file however rather it will be a folder, but that is ok Moneydance is not supposed to work with a single file.

You should find that the horrid name you have above is also a name of a folder. With Moneydance closed you can rename the folder toy something more meaningful and not to mention shorter.

Then in Moneydance open this newly rename data set by using the Open command under the menu item File navigate to this folder and open it in Moneydance.

Then each time you use Moneydance use this newly name data file, it will create archive (backup) files with the name of this data set plus adding the date the backup is created on to the end of the name. You should NOT be routinely opening .moneydancearchive files and using them

2. 2 Posted by Lauryn Westwood on 20 Sep, 2021 10:34 PM

Hi dwg,

Since Money Dance doesn’t YET use iCloud….I send my backup files to iCloud, only 2 are kept at any time.
    I can’t afford to lose my accounts and I can’t find where Money Dance saves its Archives.
    I have no such Folder on my Mac…When Money Dance installs it should create these things by itself.

I can’t find this Archive folder Money Dance is supposed to use.

I’ve tried renaming the iCloud backups but this does nothing…I still get the long filename.

So please…Step by step … Let me know what I’m supposed to do.

Thank you.

Lauryn Westwood
    2/58 McMahon Road
    MORPHETT VALE
    South Australia
     MacBook Pro

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 20 Sep, 2021 10:59 PM

It sounds like you will need a Mac user to assist you, I use Windows and Linux myself so my knowledge of macOS is limited.

I will say it is highly unlikely that you will ever be able to store your main data set on an icloud drive. With the way icloud works it is likely to corrupt your data, however it is not recommended to store your main moneydance data set on anything other than a local drive in any case due to the risk this introduces. Storing backups and using icloud for syncing will work safely.

With my limited knowledge of macOS ll I can really do is point you at some knowledge base articles of default file locations:

https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/file-locations-and-changes/default-file-location

and a set of articles on moving and renaming files:

https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/file-locations-and-changes

4. 4 Posted by Lauryn Westwood on 20 Sep, 2021 11:21 PM

Hi again,

I followed one of those links…I have severely shortened my Backup filename.
    So thank you.

I’ll be transferring my data to a Windows OS soon, so do I use the Backup file in the iCloud or the MyFinances.moneydance? Or both?

Thanks again, I’ll keep this email for reference.

Lauryn Westwood
    2/58 McMahon Road
    MORPHETT VALE
    South Australia
     MacBook Pro

5. 5 Posted by dwg on 21 Sep, 2021 03:13 AM

You could use either, but it is easier to just copy the entire MyFinance.moneydance folder structure. I routinely move data between machines using this method.

The Moneydance folks have written a Knowledge Base article on moving data to a new machine, you can find this at:

https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/file-locations-and-changes/moving-to-a-new-computer

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac