Past years limit and deletion

j715

11 Jan, 2022 01:33 PM

My current Moneydance fill goes back about 8 years. Does the program automatically cut off older transactions after so many years? If not how is the best way to delete older transactions and only keep maybe 5 years of so.

1. 1 Posted by dtd on 12 Jan, 2022 12:46 AM

just a user

My current moneydance file goes back about 36 years, so no, the program does not automatically cut off older transactions; in fact that would be "not a good idea" as MD relies on accounting principles and doing so could mess a lot of things up.

So, the best way to delete older transactions is "not to do so". Still for discussion purposes, why do you want to delete them? Database size is not a big issue anymore, but is that the reason or something else? (There are also filters to show only a certain period of time if you just don't want to see the data).

Hope that helps.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Ethan on 15 Jan, 2022 10:22 PM

I can confirm that there are no known limits on the amount of data a Moneydance file can hold. Unless there's a specific problem with a file, there shouldn't be a need to remove older transactions.

I suppose Moneydance files can get large from a database size perspective after several years, but they're usually still far smaller than how much data is transferred by just streaming one short television episode, for comparison.

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

3. System closed this discussion on 16 Apr, 2022 10:30 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac