Stock Split Cost Basis Error

davestirling1

17 May, 2022 10:14 PM

Hi There

So on May 16, CM.TO split 2 for 1. I went into my CM security, selected the split button, put in the May 16 date with a 2 for 1, and in the two accounts I have that security it shows the increased amount of shares.

While it shows the correct amount of shares now, it appears that it has not compensated for the cost. According to MoneyDance, I am now down 17.81% because it is saying that my cost per share is $85.82 and it should actually be around $52.7506.

Prior to entering the split, I had 134 shares, and after the split it increased to 268 which is correct.

The first image is the security, and the second image is from the Cost Basis tab where it hasn't increased the amount of shares, but compensated for the cost. So the $14,137.17 is a correct figure, however, that section is still only showing 134 shares, when it should be now 268.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

1. 1 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 18 May, 2022 06:21 AM

Average cost or lot controlled cost basis?
    We’ve seen with splits that using lot control and matching buys/sells can sometimes correct cost basis.

2. 2 Posted by davestirling1 on 18 May, 2022 12:46 PM

I'm using Average Cost.

Not sure how you use lot control.

3. 3 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 18 May, 2022 01:03 PM

Would be interesting on a test copy of your dataset to use/try lot control just to see if it actually resolved the issue.

4. 4 Posted by davestirling1 on 18 May, 2022 01:06 PM

I will have to look through the documentation and see if I can give it a try.

5. 5 Posted by davestirling1 on 23 May, 2022 05:44 PM

I tried a test copy and the Lot Control idea didn't resolve the issue.

I'm hoping that someone from MoneyDance might have a suggestion to the issue.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Screen_Shot_2022-05-17_at_6.09.35_PM.png 18.3 KB
  • Screen_Shot_2022-05-17_at_6.11.44_PM.png 28.9 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac