Splits no longer open automatically with Moneydance 2022

rjgiskard

29 May, 2022 11:21 AM

I've just upgraded from Moneydance 2021 to 2022 and am entering some transactions for the first time since upgrading and found an annoying thing with splits for autocomplete transactions - the split window no longer opens automatically; I need to go to use the mouse to open it. I thought I might be able to press SPACE when tabbing to the field to open the split, but tabbing completely skips it.

In most cases I need to edit the split for autocomplete transactions, but in almost all cases I need to at least review the split to be sure it's ok. Having to switch from keyboard to the mouse to open the split is annoying, given it worked quite nicely before.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or an intended change, so thought I'd post here before posting to 'problems' in case this change was intended and, if so, to ask if there's a keyboard combination to open the split or setting I can change to bring back the old functionality?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Maddy on 30 May, 2022 01:45 PM

Hi,
    Thank you for contacting Moneydance support.

When you click a transaction to edit it, you can then press the keys 'Command/⌘' and 'L'. This will open the split window.
    When viewing the split window, press 'Command/⌘' and 'N' to create a new split line.
    When you're done, press 'Command/⌘' and 'W' to close the split window.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions or need more assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by rjgiskard on 30 May, 2022 01:56 PM

Thanks, Maddy. I've tried the shortcut and it works nicely as a workaround.

But can I ask - *is* this new experience the intention? The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking this must be a bug.

If I use autocomplete to enter a transaction that doesn't have a split, pressing tab takes me straight from the description to the category. This used to be the case for transactions that had a split, and the split window would open at that time.

But now when I press tab for an autocomplete with split, I'm left in the description field. Pressing tab a second time skips the category field and jumps straight to the 'c' field.

So I'm having to press tab twice to exit the description field for an auto-complete transaction that has a split, but only once if it doesn't have a split. This feels like an accidental bug that's been introduced.

3. 3 Posted by tgilbert666 on 03 Jun, 2022 12:55 AM

+1 from me

4. 4 Posted by rjgiskard on 23 Jun, 2022 08:49 AM

Hi Maddy,

I wonder if we could have confirmation on whether this change was intended or an unintended bug?

I see another customer has since created a Suggestion to return the old behaviour (https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/suggestions/14706-entering-split-transactions), but, as I explained in my last post, I get the strong impression this is a bug, given the need to double-tab out of the description field. Assuming this is a bug, I'd hope it would be prioritised and quicker to fix than implementing something entirely new.

As an FYI - this continued to be an impediment to me in entering transactions quickly. I've since reinstalled Moneydance 2021 to go back to the old split functionality, which is significantly better.

I hope this is confirmed as a bug and fixed the next release so I can reinstall Moneydance 2022.

Cheers.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Maddy on 23 Jun, 2022 10:15 AM

@All I've filed a ticket in our ticketing system regarding this issue, so the developers will be looking into it.
    By posting in this discussion your interest in the ticket has been registered. This is equivalent to voting for it. We will post on this thread when there are further developments on this topic.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

6. 6 Posted by nomads.fryer on 24 Jun, 2022 12:48 AM

I would like to add my voice to the request to see this resolved and the MD 2021 operation restored.

Additionally for me, in many cases the new data entry either requires a different split structure or no split at all. So i would be very interested in seeing a more elegant way of clearing out the previous split once it has been identified (See https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/suggestions/14706-entering-split-transactions). I realise that this would be a product improvement, but don't want that to delay fixing the originally posted problem.

Regards,
    Paul.

7. 7 Posted by tgilbert666 on 25 Jun, 2022 09:03 AM

+1 from me!

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac