Formatting of currency data transferred from reports to spreadsheets via 'copy to clipboard'

Michael Johnstone

23 Jun, 2022 03:23 PM

While the value of transactions is displayed as simple numeric values in the transaction registers, in the reports values are displayed edited to show a preceding '£' sign. If I use 'copy to clipboard' to transfer this data to a spreadsheet, the values appear with a preceding (A with a caret mark) £ and cannot be treated as numeric or converted to numeric. I need to be able to sort on these values and to total them.
I am sure that I used to able to do this and I can't work out why I can't do it now.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Maddy on 23 Jun, 2022 03:26 PM

Hi Michael,

We are sorry to hear about the problem you have encountered.

Unfortunately we are aware of this issue and it will require Java update to be resolved. In the meantime you could use the following workaround:

After generating the report, choose 'Save'.
    Change the 'Format' to 'Comma Delimited'- Encoded for Excel
    Then click 'Browse' and specify where you want to save the file.

Before saving, check the correct file format has been applied. Your file should be called 'YourFileName.csv'.
    If the file format is not included, you can add '.csv' (without the quotes) to the end of the file name.

This will create a comma delimited file that will open with Excel.

If you have already saved the file, you can navigate to it on your computer, and re-name the file from there, to include .csv at the end of the file name.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions or need more assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by Michael Johnsto... on 23 Jun, 2022 03:33 PM

Thank you for your quick reply. At least this gives me a possible way
    forward.
    Regards
    MJ

3. 3 Posted by tgilbert666 on 25 Jun, 2022 09:30 AM

Another workaround if you don't need the pound sign (for instance you only use a single currencty) is to remove the "Value prefix" you have assigned to the currency in MD. Use Tools | Currencies, double-click on the currency and then either click the Edit button or this step my be unnecessary. to delete the pound sign from the Value Prefix field.

This will stop MD dynamically pre-pending the pound sign until you re-implement it in future.

• a fellow user.
  4. 4 Posted by Michael Johnsto... on 25 Jun, 2022 03:07 PM

many thanks. v useful

regards

MJ

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac