Merging two data files

tonyt

19 Aug, 2022 11:05 AM

Hi
I have two data files, one with many accounts (no investment accounts) and one file with just two accounts - one bank and one credit card.
Is it possible to move the smaller data set and merge it into the larger set?
I do not want the smaller data set to be visible in the sidebar or reports or affect our overall financial overview figures such as net worth, but must be able to access them when required and do transfers to and from them to accounts in the visible larger set.
Basically I am looking after someone else's affairs and need to be able to keep a check on their finances and be able to transfer money to / from them from our accounts as needed, without the transactions affecting the overall view of our own affairs. Creating and keeping track of transfers between two separate data files is a nightmare!
I hope this makes some sort of sense and help appreciated.
Cheers…
I know backup before you start is king!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Maddy on 19 Aug, 2022 11:35 AM

Hi Tony,
    Thank you for contacting Moneydance support.

Generally doing this is not recommended. However, if you wish to give it a try you can follow the steps below:

First of all, you should make a copy of each data file and store them somewhere safe, just in case the results are less then desirable.

Open data file # 1.

Navigate to File -> Export->QIF
    Account: select the desired account
    Date: Custom Dates
    Start Date: as desired
    End Date: as desired
    Click OK

In the resulting window, name and save the exported file
    Close data file # 1

Open data file # 2.
    Create the account to be imported. Navigate to Account -> New Account -> Bank -> fill in with the information required.

Navigate to File -> Import
    In the resulting window, navigate to and click on the file that you exported from data file # 1.
    Doing so will open the 'Import QIF File' window. Select the following options:
    From QIF File: this should be the path to the file that you just selected and should already be entered.
    Import to: Select 'Existing Account' and choose the proper account from the drop down list.
    File Source: From Another Program
    Check that the other options are correct.
    Click OK.

Repeat for the each account within the source data file.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions or need more assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by tonyt on 19 Aug, 2022 04:53 PM

Hi Maddy
    Duly noted before I try. Can you help with the other questions I asked in my post -

*I do not want the smaller data set to be visible in the sidebar or reports or affect our overall financial overview figures such as net worth, but must be able to access them when required and do transfers to and from them to accounts in the visible larger set. *

I suspect this is jut not possible! Does anyone else have a 'magic way" to do this?

Thanks...

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 19 Aug, 2022 10:10 PM

There is no magic way, you have to remove the accounts from the side bar, You can make them inactive so that they do not appear in the summary, if they are then left in the side bar they will show a zero balance. However as the information in the accounts is still valid to exclude them from reporting you have to set up reports so that only the desired accounts are included. You may also need to set up separate categories for these accounts to use,

With the data in separate data sets you just set up a couple of categories in each data set to handle the transfers and then exclude these categories from reporting.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Ethan on 21 Aug, 2022 05:20 PM

I agree with the previous comment. The tradeoff of being able to do transfers within one file is that all of the data from these other accounts will affect all other aspects of the program: reports, budgets, etc. You can manually set each account as inactive, and remember to exclude them from reports, but I think this will still affect your data in unexpected ways that is not easy to exclude. For example, if you had a Groceries category in each of these files, you're now going to have all those expenses in one unified category, and the same for everything else that overlaps. Perhaps you could get around this by grouping all of your categories into one parent that was for your data, and then another parent that was for this other person's, but that's also a lot of work.

There's no harm in trying this out on a copy of your data file, but honestly, I think this is going to cause more trouble for you than entering in occasional transfers in two different data files.

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

5. 5 Posted by tonyt on 21 Aug, 2022 06:37 PM

Many thanks, I think I will follow good advice from you both and leave well alone!
    Cheers…

Sent from Tony's iPad

6. Maddy closed this discussion on 22 Aug, 2022 11:45 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac