RJron

24 Sep, 2022 04:42 PM

Hello,

Please advise if it is possible to carry out the following in moneydance:

Transfer from : BANK ACCOUNT - CHECKING 123
 Transfer to : ASSET ACCOUNT - VEHICLE XXX
 *** But I also want this to show as an expense in the expense reports. ***

Explanation:
I am purchasing a car - which is an expense.
But I also want to have that shown as an ASSET in moneydance.

This same example can be used for other major purchases such as PROPERTY etc. This can even be a transfer from one asset account ( example CASH ) to another asset account

Is there a way to handle this as a single transaction - that will also show up as an expense ?

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 24 Sep, 2022 09:55 PM

I'm a fellow user.

As a single transaction it is not possible. the basic rule of accounting is that there is a source and a destination, you are attempting to have one source i.e. the Bank account and two destinations i.e. the asset account and a category 'account'. This just breaks accounting rules.

You would have to structure it as two transactions.

2. 2 Posted by RJron on 25 Sep, 2022 02:51 AM

Thanks. Agree about the accounting part.

But I was also thinking it would be a great idea if Moneydance would/could develop an additional mechanism that will permit such a transfer to also be recorded as an expense. A seperate menu - or even a simple check mark.

Its not a big deal to record a seperate transaction for this ( one as an expense - and another as an "disconnected" asset entry ) - but the aim here is to have them linked. If one gets deleted - then it should also trigger deletion of the corresponding entry.

Not sure if many others will be facing this. But keeping a track of expense - but also having your bigger expenses ( vehicle, property, etc ) as an asset is invaluable to me - so that Moneydance can actually project a true statement of my financials.

Food for thought...

3. 3 Posted by tgilbert666 on 25 Sep, 2022 06:07 AM

purchasing a car - which is an expense.

Hmm, nope, sorry. This statement is patently and demonstrably false, I doubt you'll find much traction convincing the accounting world of its validity.

Purchasing a car with cash is a transfer from one asset to another. Period. No discussion.

Cheers
    Tony (fellow user)
    '

4. 4 Posted by RJron on 25 Sep, 2022 06:30 PM

Agree.
    I was more bent on calling it 'automating the process' - and not
    necessarily a change in accounting practice as such.

On Sun, 25 Sept 2022, 11:37 tgilbert666, <[email blocked]>
    wrote:

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac