Upgrading quote Loader to the latest version query

Rich W

25 Sep, 2022 08:18 PM

Hi
I have just updated MoneyDance to the 2022.5 latest version. Reading previous discussions it suggests I should also update Quote Loader to the latest version .. i believe 3048? which I am not on. I have shy’d away from doing that as I have loads of investments and share details saved and I am worried that by upgrading I may corrupt the list of investments and break the update process - is there a way to extract / dump the list out before upgrading to reduce risk or am I being daft ?

Second question- I believe in MD 2022 there is an internal version of a quote loader tool. Is there a link to how to use that instead of quote loader and if so does It use the same source data or would I have to rekey the list again if I choose this tool instead?

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 25 Sep, 2022 10:19 PM

I'm a fellow user.

The way to protect yourself and your data when you are going to perform an upgrade of any sort is to take a backup of your data and put it in a safe place, then if there is a problem you can restore this backup.

There is no "internal" version of the Quote Loader tool or of any tool that updates prices. There is an alternative extension called the Quote and Exchange Rate Extension that also updates quotes but you have to periodically upgrade this in the same way as Quote Loader. There is no real guide on how to use Q & ER but it is pretty simple, it is basic and has few options.

2. 2 Posted by derekkent23 on 26 Sep, 2022 08:03 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Rich

You are correct the latest build of Quote Loader is 3048. Each new build add features or fixes bugs so its worth looking at the release notes at
    https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/investments/4914-the...
    And the attached PDF to ensure you are not missing out on new features.

It’s always good practice to do a FILE – (MONEYDANCE on Mac) – EXPORT BACKUP before upgrading but I have never experienced or seen an issue reported by updating Quote Loader. Quote Loader is signed by the Moneydance developer as safe and thus can be found under EXTENSION – MANAGE EXTENSIONS.

The alternative, more basic, extension you can find under EXTENSIONS Quote and Exchange Rate also uses Yahoo as one of its sources but not FT and does require different setting to Quote Loader.

Hope this helps.

3. 3 Posted by Rich W on 26 Sep, 2022 08:00 PM

Thank you DWG and Derek for your replies. I regularly export and backup the file system but I wasn’t sure if there was a less general way that just relates to the quote loader. No worries then :-)

Derek I read the link you provided - can I just confirm that 3048 will work on the latest 2022.5 as the comment in the link only references 2019-2020 version?

4. 4 Posted by derekkent23 on 26 Sep, 2022 08:57 PM

Hi Rich

Sorry, my bad, 2019 to 2020 was a typo it should have read 2019 to 2022.

I have corrected the error in the post.

Have Fun, Stay Safe.

5. 5 Posted by Rich W on 29 Sep, 2022 08:50 PM

Thank you Derek

6. 6 Posted by Rich W on 03 Oct, 2022 08:58 PM

I have upgraded to the 3048 version and as you say it all seems to be working as expected.

Thanks for all the advice

7. Rich W closed this discussion on 03 Oct, 2022 08:58 PM.

8. derekkent23 re-opened this discussion on 04 Oct, 2022 06:47 AM

9. 7 Posted by derekkent23 on 04 Oct, 2022 06:47 AM

Hi Rich

Glad Quote Loader is now working for you now you are running 3048.

Have Fun, Stay Safe.

10. Maddy closed this discussion on 04 Oct, 2022 11:59 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac