Meaning of "Auto Merge" in preferences

wa1oui

22 Jun, 2011 11:51 AM

1) What does "auto merge" mean? I have it checked, but when I do a direct download I still have to go and confirm my transactions.

2) Every time I start MD the system automatically does a download. This is fine for the first run of the day, but since all my accounts are overnight batch at the different banks, the rest of the day it downloads nothing. Is there any way to disable auto download, and let me choose update all???

Thanks for a great program.

DHK

1. 1 Posted by -Kevin N. on 22 Jun, 2011 12:19 PM

Hi David,
    1) It was always my understanding that 'Automatically Merge Downloaded Transactions' was a means for Moneydance to 'Learn' prior entries so as to merge newly downloaded transactions with thier prior associated Categories, rather than just offering up the default Category with every download.
    I have to admit though that I may be wrong about that. I've also read that in the daily builds (791) that the 'Auto-merge' option is actually disabled.
    2) File > Preferencs > Network tab. Have you tried unchecking the option to 'Automatically Download in Background'?
    To download txns manually, from the Menu bar, click on 'Online' then, 'Download All Accounts'.
    If you Encrypt your data file, File > Encryption, and choose the option to 'Store Online Passwords...' it makes it much easier.

HTH -Kevin N.

2. 2 Posted by wa1oui on 22 Jun, 2011 11:15 PM

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the info on #1, and for #2, yes unchecking the "automatically download in background" solved the problem.

I appreciate your reply!

David

3. 3 Posted by Ben Spencer on 23 Jun, 2011 10:23 AM

Hi David

The function of the option 'Automatically Merge Downloaded Transactions' is not related to Moneydance learning categories.

When enabled it performs two functions automatically as transactions are imported or downloaded.

A) As each transaction is imported if the download transaction is a sufficiently close match to a transaction that already exists in the register (probably a manually entered transaction) the two would be merged together. The purpose being to remove duplicates on download. Transactions need to have exactly the same amount to be considered a merge eligible match.

B) As each transaction is imported if the download transaction has a sufficiently close description/payee to one of the transactions already in the register the incoming transaction is considered a "Repeat payee". In such a case the category and description of the incoming transaction are set to equal those of the transaction it matched to.

However this option is currently ignored by the import process. There were entirely too many false positive matches and the developers are considering permanently removing the option.

Note that best match categories will be applied to all downloaded/imported transactions independently of the above discussed option.

Also note that the above discussed option has no effect on the confirmation panel for unconfirmed transactions and the suggested merge options that that panel provides.

Sincerely
    Ben Spencer
    Moneydance Support

B) Any transaction

4. 4 Posted by -Kevin N. on 23 Jun, 2011 12:10 PM

Hi Ben,
    Thank you for the explaination.

However this option is currently ignored by the import process.

Just to be clear, does this mean that the entire 'Automaically Merge Downloaded Transactions' option is currently ignored or just that function B is currently ignored?

-Kevin N.

5. 5 Posted by Ben Spencer on 23 Jun, 2011 01:51 PM

The entire option.

6. 6 Posted by -Kevin N. on 23 Jun, 2011 03:36 PM

Hi Ben,
    Thank you for clearing that up.
    There is another thread that I can't locate right now, that discussed the fact that the developers were trying to decide whether or not 'Automatically Merge Downloaded Transactions' should continue to be offered.
    Could you link this thread to the existing ticket or could you point me to the thread so I can vote for keeping the option.
    -Kevin N.

7. 7 Posted by Ben Spencer on 23 Jun, 2011 03:54 PM

I believe you are referring to this thread
    http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/md2010-beta/177-reconcilin...

After post 41

8. 8 Posted by -Kevin N. on 23 Jun, 2011 09:55 PM

Hi Ben,
    Thank you for the link. That indeed was the thread that I was trying to find.
    There is no existing 'ticket' attached to that particular thread.
    I'll start a new thread pertanining to 'Automatically Merge Downloaded Transactions'. Perhaps you could attach a ticket to that thread so that we users could then vote on subject.
    I will post the topic and edit in the link to the post at the end of this post
    Thanks again.
    -Kevin N.

Edit: http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/questions/2675-automatical...

9. 9 Posted by software on 28 Jun, 2011 02:03 AM

Are there plans to re-implement the auto-merge feature in the future?
    I often add entries manually to my accounts, but they also download from their various institutions and it's a bit of a pain to have to go through each one and click Merge over and over again.

10. 10 Posted by Ben Spencer on 29 Jun, 2011 10:35 AM

Hi software

We are currently seeking input from users on whether or not to re-enable this function. The discussion is happening here:
    http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/questions/2675-automatical...

Ben Spencer
    Moneydance Support

11. System closed this discussion on 31 Mar, 2015 03:38 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac