Unloading and reloading Moneydance

Kathy

14 Aug, 2019 09:15 PM

I would like to reset my computer to factory defaults...essentially cleaning it out and starting over (MacBook Air). MoneyDance is one program that I would like to put back on the computer once I am finished but I want to be sure that none of my information gets lost in the process (I've lost some of my past registry entries when my hard drive crashed in one of my previous computers).

Can you walk me through the process of putting the program onto an external hard drive and then reinstalling the program back onto the computer once the cleanup is complete. It is MoneyDance 2017.2, if that makes any difference.

Thank you,

Kathy

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 15 Aug, 2019 06:51 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.

First do a MONEYDANCE – EXPORT BACKUP.
    Close Moneydance.

Then update to the latest build of Moneydance 2017 from https://infinitekind.com/download_2017
    Open Moneydance and check all looks OK.

Then do another MONEYDANCE – EXPORT BACKUP. Copy this backup file with the with naming convention yourdatasetname-yyyymmdd-tttt.moneydancearchive to your external drive.
    Click HELP – SHOW DOCUMENT FOLDER, this will open a file finder in the default location for you data set. Close Moneydance. your data set is not a file it’s a folder (I think it’s called a bundle on Mac) containing other folders and files. Your data set folder has the naming convention yourdatasetname.moneydance copy this folder and all its contents to your external drive.

When you are ready to reinstall your program by downloading it from https://infinitekind.com/download_2017

Open Moneydance. Assuming this is the first time you have opened it; it should open in the welcome window Click “Account a new account set” and set up a dummy account so you can then click HELP – SHOW DOCUMENT FOLDER. This will open a file finder in the default data set location. Close Moneydance. Copy your data set folder is to this location from your external drive.
    Open Moneydance then MONEYDANCE – OPEN, your data set should be listed.
    Use the same key to register Moneydance.
    To ensure auto backup is working under PREFERENCES – BACKUPS. From time to time check new backups are being created.

Hope this helps.

2. System closed this discussion on 14 Nov, 2019 07:00 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac