On Upgrading from MD 2017.10 to MD 2019

Tokend

22 Aug, 2019 09:14 PM

Having exported my Quicken 2017 data and imported it into MoneyDance 2017.10, I've been running Q 2017 and MD 2017 in parallel for quite a while now. I am happy to say that I will soon be leaving Quicken in the rear-view mirror for good. It is difficult for me to describe the feeling of relief I get with the notion of not having to deal with Quicken any more.

My MD 2017 license, purchased in 2018, allows me to upgrade to MD 2019. However, I've avoided doing this so far, because I'm looking to limit the already large numbers of variables involved (switching accounting systems, moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10, managing MD on both a desktop and a laptop, possibly getting new computer(s), etc.

A few questions about moving to MD 2019:

(1) Does moving to MD 2019 involve a conversion of the MD 2017 data base?

(2) If so, is it a one-way conversion, such that I can't (or shouldn't) open a MD 2019 db in MD 2017?

(3) Would you advise installing the current stable version of MD 2019.3 (1880), or the current preview version MD 2019.4 (1888)?

(4) Regarding moving to new versions of MD and Windows, are there any reasons to do one before the other?

Thanks very much for any guidance.

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 22 Aug, 2019 09:46 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.

(1) 2017 and 2019 use the same data base structure. The only real change was how non base currencies, foreign currencies, are now handle, using a more effective approach.

(2) for most people, those who do not use non base currencies, there should be no issues. Having said that there should be no reason to go back to 2017. I have moved from 2015 to 2017 then onto 2019 without any issues.

(3) this is really your choice, I always run the latest preview build since I started using Moneydance back in 2015. Take a look at the text link on the preview page to see if the bug fixes or feature adds are important to you. https://infinitekind.com/preview

(4) I have a window 7 and a window 10 computer, have used 2017 on both, then upgraded to 2019 on both and have transferred the same data set back and forwards between the two computers for testing. The Moneydance’s data set does not care if a computer is running windows 7 or windows 10.

Hope this helps.

2. 2 Posted by Tokend on 22 Aug, 2019 11:21 PM

Perfect. Thanks so much, Derek. This is exactly the information I needed.

As do many others, I really appreciate your generous and prompt help on these MD fora.

3. 3 Posted by derekkent23 on 23 Aug, 2019 06:43 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.

Glad I was able to help.

Have Fun.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac