Transfer Moneydance to a new computer

Danny Horii

02 Oct, 2019 05:30 AM

I am trying to transfer my Moneydance data to a new computer. Moneydance 2015.3 working well on a Mac Mini (2014) Sierra 10.12.6, but having trouble transfering to Moneydance 2017.10 on a Mac Mini (2018) running Mojave 10.14.6. I tried to export a GIF file of my accounts but when I try to import I get an error that the file is unkown type. Please help. Thank you

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Maddy on 02 Oct, 2019 09:33 AM

Hi Danny,
    Thank you for contacting Moneydance support.

Moneydance 2015 offers the ability to manually export a backup to a location of your choosing (external hard drive, thumb drive, etc.) as outlined in this article in the Knowledge Base.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have further questions or need any assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by KellyW on 02 Oct, 2019 01:25 PM

The linked article in this response is helpful, but...it refers to a newer article, which I believe I'll need since I'm moving from 2017.10 to 2019.3. But the referred-to-article link yields a "page not found" error. I've found many of these links to "page not found" in the last 2 days and am struggling to find comparable/recent articles.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Maddy on 02 Oct, 2019 05:00 PM

Hi Kelly,
    Thank you for contacting Moneydance support.

Since Moneydance 2017 and 2019 use the same file format, in your case the matter is different.

Please can you confirm, are you simply upgrading from 2017 to 2019 or will you be moving your data set to a different machine?

I recommend creating a backup before proceeding with the upgrade.

Moneydance creates automatic backup files. A backup file will be created each time you close your file until the set number exist, then each file will be updated in turn.
    If these files are stored in the default location, they're accessible from Moneydance via Help --> Show Backup Folder.

To amend the backup file settings, choose Moneydance --> Preferences, then select the 'Backups' tab, as outlined in this article.In this window you can amend the backup location, and choose the maximum number of backups to be stored.

You could amend the backup location, so the automatic backup files are sent elsewhere. For example, you could choose an external drive, or a shared folder location like Dropbox. This will ensure your data is accessible from another system, even if you were to encounter complete computer failure.

You can also create manual backup files whenever you want, and store these files anywhere. To create a manual backup file, choose File --> Export Backup. This will create a .moneydancearchive backup file - the same format as the auto backup files.

Moneydance 2019.3 (1880) is available for download at this page. If Moneydance 2017 was previously installed, your new version will register automatically.

When the format of the backup files contains a .moneydancearchive file extension,
    you can restore these files into Moneydance, by double clicking them.
    Alternatively, choose File --> Restore from Backup (or 'Import New Account Set' from the Welcome window). Then navigate to and select the backup file.

When you restore data from a backup file, a new data file will be created for use going forward. If the restored data file is in the default location, it's accessible from Moneydance via Help --> Show Documents Folder.
    Any data files stored here are accessible from the program by choosing File --> Open. Any files you've created or restored will be listed here.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have further questions or need any assistance.

--

4. 4 Posted by Danny Horii on 02 Oct, 2019 11:28 PM

Thank you Maddy, It worked!

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Maddy on 03 Oct, 2019 09:05 AM

You are welcome, Danny ! I'm very pleased to hear that.
    Please, do not hesitate to contact us again, if you need further assistance.

--

6. 6 Posted by KellyW on 06 Oct, 2019 08:57 PM

Hi Maddy -
    With regard to: are you simply upgrading from 2017 to 2019 or will you be moving your data set to a different machine?
    The answer is: Both. Moving to a new computer because the old computer OS is not compatible with MD 2019.

Your advice to use the .moneydancearchive file via Dropbox did the trick, thank you.

Now I have a new question but will start a new thread since it's a different topic (RE: Security Prices...the restoration of which was the primary driver for upgrading to MD 2019...and thus purchasing a new computer)

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Maddy on 07 Oct, 2019 08:19 AM

Hi Kelly,

I responded to your other thread here and I'm glad to see that the information useful. for you.

I'll close this discussion for now, but do not hesitate to contact us again, if you need further assistance.

--

8. Maddy closed this discussion on 07 Oct, 2019 08:19 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac