Automatic Categories

Duane

03 Dec, 2019 05:53 PM

First of all, I am on build 1880/Mac OS 10.14.5
I have two situations that take a lot of time, but I've never investigated until now and I can't solve them.

1. No matter what I do, Moneydance fills in categories only sporadically. There are some things it fills in and some it doesn't and I can't figure out why. I understand that some imported transactions come in as "Starbucks" and some come in as "Starbucks store 1350" and MD doesn't see them as similar. But after all this time (years) I'd think it would at least recognize the basics. I must be doing something wrong. I have checked "automatically merge downloaded transactions". But that would assume (I think) that I got to my register before I downloaded from the web. This is rarely the case. Mostly I rely on the electronic downloading of transactions to fill my register and I go from there.

2. Checks download as some randomly assigned entity. So if I made a check out one time, a long time ago to a pet sitter, then every check is to a pet sitter until I reach some unknown limit and then every check after that is for a charity donation until that changes (seemingly randomly). Obviously bank doesn't give MD enough information for an intelligent download. But could it just leave checks as blank payees?

Here's why this matters: balancing my checkbook with the bank's download usually takes about 5 minutes of horsing around and finding any unusual amounts that don't match the download. But manually typing the categories into all of my accounts takes FOREVER. I don't feel like it used to be this way. So can you help?

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac