alphabetise the categories?

Steph

19 Jan, 2020 06:13 AM

Hi,

I have just switched from banktivity to moneydance and am entering all of my expense / income categories. I noticed that they do not automatically alphabetise themselves once I'm done. This is not a problem when I am setting up the program, but if I decide to create a new category in the future it will just annoy me that it's not alphabetically listed in the drop down menu when I enter in a new transaction.

Is there a way to automatically alphabetise the categories?

Thanks.

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 19 Jan, 2020 08:46 AM

I'm a fellow user.

Categories are in a hierarchical structure but within their section of the hierarchy they are in alphabetical order,

The basic split of categories is Expense categories first then Income categories. So on the expense side it looks something like:

Automotive
      Car Insurance
      Fuel
      Registration
    Health
      Dental
      Hospital
      Physician

Etc

and on the income side

Interest
      Cash Management
      Term Deposits
    Dividends
    Foreign Income

Etc

So the top level categories occur in Alphabetic order and their sub categories are in alphabetic order underneath them.

In drop down lists the category is given from the top down with each level separated by a colon, so with one of the examples from above would show Interest:Term Deposits.

You can see the structure if you go to the menu item Tools --> Categories

As the Category field is also used for transfers in account registers the account list is shown first in the drop down.

2. 2 Posted by Steph on 20 Jan, 2020 05:06 AM

Hi dwg,

Thanks for your quick reply. I figured it out. The new and old categories and sub categories automatically alphabetise themselves after Moneydance is closed and reopened the next time. =)

I was just too impatient and wanted it alphabetised as soon as I hit "done".

Cheers

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac