Keeping Moneydance files in a Git reposityr

Darrell Burk

26 Jan, 2020 03:59 PM

The reason is a long and frustrating story about getting seriously let down by Backup4All. I lost months of all my personal data because the button labeled "Backup" performed a restore.

Instead of using a backup program or rsync or something like that for backups, I decided to keep all my personal files in a Git repository on my Git server. That way not only do I get backups, I get history, diff, and lots more Git magic.

Today I opened Moneydance for the first time on a data file that had been "restored" on a new system via git checkout.

It is *possible* that the commit I checked out had been committed while Moneydance was still open on the system where I made the commit, though I try hard to avoid this.

In any event, the data file looks quite different than before the commit. Lots of transactions have reappeared that I previously merged or deleted. Account balances are wildly wrong.

In short, my question is: is it possible for Moneydance files stored in a Git repo to play well? On multiple systems? Besides always closing Moneydance and letting the sync and backup complete before doing git commit, are there other things that must be done for this to work?

1. System closed this discussion on 26 Apr, 2020 04:00 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac