Add Transaction type into Check # column Broken in V1904

Fred Dalzell

11 May, 2020 11:24 PM

I haven't needed to do this for a long time, but today I wanted to edit the list of transaction types for my checking account. I went to the Summary page, clicked on the Account menu, and selected Edit Account. All I can do is add comments to the account at this point!

If I select the account and then perform the same actions, I get to modify the details of the account but not the transaction types.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Fred

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Maddy on 11 May, 2020 11:50 PM

Hi Fred,
    Thank you for contacting Moneydance support.

Which version and build of Moneydance are you using?
    To check, open Moneydance and select Help --> About Moneydance (or Moneydance --> About Moneydance on a Mac) where the version and build number will be displayed.

Moneydance contains a feature called "Batch Change", which allows you to make changes to a single transaction, or multiple transactions at once.

Batch Change allows you to make changes to the Description, Check#, Memo, Tags, Category, and Account fields in the register.

For further details about this function, please refer to this article in the Knowledge Base.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have further questions or need any assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by Fred Dalzell on 12 May, 2020 02:42 PM

Maddy - I'm using that latest preview, build 1904 of MD 2019.

Fred

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Ethan on 13 May, 2020 07:04 PM

I believe in the latest preview version that option no longer exists. One can simply type in anything into the Check# column fields. The popup in that field should populate with previously used entries in that field, like how the tag field has worked starting in the 2019 version.

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

4. 4 Posted by Fred Dalzell on 14 May, 2020 02:54 PM

Ethan - okay, it looks like I have some data cleanup to do then as apparently a few of them have multiple entries due to case style. :(

Fred

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Ethan on 15 May, 2020 06:37 PM

Interesting. That shouldn't have happened unless you had multiple similarly named options before changing to the latest preview version. If you have many to change, you may want to consider the Find and Replace extension, which I believe can still alter that field in bulk. Extensions -> Manage Extensions if you don't already have it installed.

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

6. 6 Posted by Fred Dalzell on 15 May, 2020 09:55 PM

Ethan - I'm not sure how I got the variations I did (multiple of ChkCd, DebCd, DEP vs Dep, etc.) but I did. I can clean up the data relatively easily, but I can't delete the bogus ones. That's why I wanted to be able to edit the list.

Fred

7. 7 Posted by Fred Dalzell on 21 May, 2020 02:41 PM

Hello - I still have the issue of not being able to delete invalid entries. Any idea how it can be done?

Fred

8. 8 Posted by Fred Dalzell on 27 May, 2020 02:45 PM

Is there a way to get a previous preview version that still had the capability to delete these entries?

Fred

9. 9 Posted by Fred Dalzell on 29 May, 2020 02:40 PM

I've made this public to see if anyone else has an idea as to how to resolve this.

I need to remove invalid entries from the field and version 1904 no longer has that ability.

Failing that, I need a link to an earlier build that can do this.

Thanks in advance,

Fred

10. 10 Posted by dwg on 29 May, 2020 09:33 PM

I'm a fellow user.

With builds1902-1904 the way to clean up the Check # field is with the Find and Replace extension. In effect you would be replacing a specific text string with another text string. So you would decide which you wish to keep and work through changing other variants to this. Yes it is a pain in the neck.

A number of us think this is a retrograde change and have indicated this to the developers.

As far as I am aware there is no Moneydance maintained archive of preview releases so to get a build with the old behaviour you would either have had to keep your own download or go back to the last stable build.

11. 11 Posted by Fred Dalzell on 30 May, 2020 02:58 PM

dwg - thanks. I suspected that was the case. I usually keep the previous build but I haven't needed to do this correction for a long time so I missed the change.

I also agree it's a backward step and wish it had been more specifically noted in the changelog.

I did find these 2 entries there but they don't indicate that the function was actually deleted:

- make check number popups show a list of previously used non-numeric checknum field entries instead of a static list

- properly remove check number configuration list from root/summary account configuration window

I downloaded 1880 so I may try that on a backup of the file. Using Find and Replace might work. I tried it a little yesterday and it's difficult to isolate that field for a change. It picks up other things too that I don't want to change. Need more investigation.
    Fred

12. 12 Posted by Fred Dalzell on 30 May, 2020 07:49 PM

All - what a crock! Find and Replace didn't work as it can't select finely enough to make the proper changes.

Doing a Search on each account (thankfully only a few were involved) did mostly get the right transactions - but the search did NOT respect the case of the search (and there is no way to set it). So I was finding all the good ones in addition to the incorrect ones. At least I could select them and use the Batch Change function to correct them.

However, what is there to prevent this issue from happening in the future? Nothing! Why - because unless you enter the data EXACTLY as before, it will create a new one - even if it matches the exact text!

We really need a facility to correct these more easily or if the entry matches (and it does highlight them) an existing entry, then use that entry AS IS respecting the existing capitalization.

Enough said. I'm not happy about this change.

Fred

13. 13 Posted by Mark Hackney on 20 Jun, 2020 06:41 PM

Fred- I agree. I'm getting tired of accidentally typing "e" when I meant "E" and getting edt rather than EFT!!!!! and I've looked hi and low in the data elements of MoneyDance on my Apple and I can't find a file that might contain the text in order to edit the listing. I'm at MD 2019.4 (1904). So Sean, et al, how about at least giving users a method to correct all the misspellings made for the same item (TRANS, trans, TRANSFER, tRANSER, Transfer)!!!! :)
    Thanks
    Mark

14. 14 Posted by Fred Dalzell on 01 Aug, 2020 11:58 PM

dwg and Mark Hackney et al - I just downloaded build 1916 and it has an Edit List capability !!!!! :)

Thanks Sean and all the MD gang!

I'm a Happy Camper!!

Fred

15. 15 Posted by dwg on 02 Aug, 2020 02:25 AM

Yes build 1916 has an edit List function for the Check Number field. This build has a problem with the Moneybot console and has been superseded by build 1917 which has a correction for this and also makes some other changes.

16. 16 Posted by Mark Hackney on 04 Aug, 2020 07:11 PM

Yeah!! I used it and it's so nice to get rid of all the typo's I'd created! :)
    Thanks Sean and MD team!

17. Support Staff 17 Posted by Maddy on 04 Aug, 2020 07:41 PM

You are welcome! We are very pleased to hear that.
    I'll close this discussion for now, but do not hesitate to contact us again, if you need further assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

18. Maddy closed this discussion on 04 Aug, 2020 07:41 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac