Move accounts between files

Mark

26 Jun, 2020 04:29 PM

I want to move several accounts from one Moneydance file to another. What is the easiest and most reliable way to do that?

1. 1 Posted by -Kevin N. on 26 Jun, 2020 05:34 PM

Hi Mark,

You should use the 'Export' menu item listed under the Moneydance File menu. You would then subsequently use the 'Import' menu item on the receiving data file.

You would likely be best served opting for the QIF file format.

This process may get tricky though. I would make any attempt to test this on a new, practice Moneydance data file.

Where this can get tricky is that Exporting an account that contains transfer transactions will create those receiving accounts as part of the Export so as to house the 'other side' of the transfer transactions.

When you attempt to Import the QIF, you will be presented with a list of those accounts that are connected to the Exported account via transfers. Be sure to select the proper account type/currency for all of the imported accounts.

I can't say what will happen when you then attempt to Export/Import another account. I've never tried it. You may or may not end up with duplicate accounts as well as duplicate transactions that will require clean up.

Again, any attempt at this procedure should be done on a practice Moneydance data file first. That's what I would do.

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Ethan on 26 Jun, 2020 06:46 PM

Depending on how many accounts you want to move and what else is in your current data file, another approach could be to make a copy of your current data file, and delete the information that you no longer want from the new copy, leaving you with just the accounts you wanted to export.

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac