Report capital gains on regular stock sale

Bob Hovey

11 Aug, 2016 08:00 PM

I have not been able to find instructions in the manual about entering the sale of a partial position in a mutual fund so that the basis is cleared at cost and the capital gain is presented as an income item.

I'm considering a split transaction but I don't know the effect of this on the remaining shares of the mutual fund.

Please help

Bob Hovey

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 11 Aug, 2016 09:43 PM

Alas Moneydance does not have an automated way of doing this. Capital gains only appear in the capital gains report even though they are considered income for taxation purposes - although they often need to be reported differently to other types of income, but that is for another discussion.

The only way I have found of doing it is to calculate the gain - the Capital Gains report may do this correctly or if you have had Return of Capitals it may not. Then pass an entry through the register using the DivXfr action type using categories on each side of the transaction (for both the category and account). For example Tax:Investment Reporting on one side and Investment:Capital Gains on the other side of the transaction.

2. 2 Posted by Bob Hovey on 12 Aug, 2016 02:37 PM

Thank you. please close thread
    Bob Hovey

3. Ben Spencer closed this discussion on 12 Aug, 2016 02:44 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac