updating latest price of investments

's Avatar

johngraham

08 Aug, 2015 01:00 PM

I am checking out Moneydance as a replacement for MS Money which I have used for many years wwhich worked OK in Windows 8 but will not work in windows 10.
Grateful if you can advise how the price of investments are updated?

1. 1 Posted by -Kevin N. on 08 Aug, 2015 01:17 PM

Hi John,

Moneydance updates price quotes via the Quotes and Exchange Rates Updater extension. It gleans it's data from yahoo.finance.com.

On a side note... Take a look at the following post. It may help you with using MS Money on Win 10.
    http://pocketsense.blogspot.com/2015/07/upgrade-to-windows-10.html

Take the standard precautions when editing Window's registry.

I've not tried this workaround myself yet. When I tried using Win 10, it broke too many things that are important to me so I reverted back to Win 7.

HTH -Kevin N.

2. 2 Posted by John Graham on 08 Aug, 2015 02:51 PM

Hi Kevin,

I found out how to update the prices in Moneydance manually after down loading the instruction manual. I was aware of the auto updates from Yahoo but some of the symbols for some UK investments are not recognised by Yahoo.

Many thanks for your side note, I have done just that, as you advised, and now have MS Money operating on my Desktop in Windows 10 satisfactorily. I will see how it goes over the next few days or so before I upgrade my laptop.

Your advice was very much appreciated so once again many thanks

Best regards

John

3. 3 Posted by -Kevin N. on 08 Aug, 2015 03:19 PM

Hi John,

You're welcome I'm glad to hear that you were able to get MS Money working again with Win 10.

As for entering manual price updates in Moneydance, take a look at the Security Price Entry extension. It should make things a little easier.

HTH -Kevin N.

4. 4 Posted by douglas on 21 Aug, 2015 05:22 PM

playing with the demo version and have managed to get some UK funds to download , but not all.
    The ones I am confused about are the ones which DO have yahoo based pricing , but return error code 404 .

eg Ticker GB00B7LZCR36.L
    https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q?s=GB00B7LZCR36.L&ql=0

GB00BLRZQC88
    https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q?s=GB00BLRZQC88&ql=1

using Historic prices on yahoo.uk

Any ideas ?

douglas

5. 5 Posted by Scott Meehan on 21 Aug, 2015 05:46 PM

Hi Douglas,

Unfortunately Yahoo doesn't appear to be making UK mutual fund prices (among other data) available for download for some reason, even though they're showing up on their website. There's a suggestion on Yahoo's support area for them to re-add these funds back for download, which you can vote for here:

https://yahoo.uservoice.com/forums/207809-finance-gs/suggestions/6402750-please-fix-option-quotes-which-are-not-downloaded

Unfortunately you'll have to enter prices manually until they re-enable downloads for these accounts.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience! Please let us know if we can be of further assistance!

Scott Meehan
    Infinite Kind Support

6. 6 Posted by udprdjm on 21 Aug, 2015 06:53 PM

Hi scott

Thanks for the quick response.

Fund prices is one of my key requirements ( and I think its also for a large number of uk ms money users), so while I understand this is not your fault it is annoying.

A couple of comments

- I can get the prices I require into a CSV file eg from the FT website is there any way of uploading that ?

- I’ve downloaded the security prices add on and it works , but not easy to get the cursor in the right place, ideally it would be great if I could cut and paste the whole column rather than typing them one at a time

- Is there any other ways of getting prices in ?

douglas

7. 7 Posted by udprdjm on 23 Aug, 2015 03:13 PM

HI Scott

I’ve been naughty and downloaded Acemoney as people were saying it was able to retrieve yahoo uk prices for funds which moneydance cant find , and its TRUE, eg GB00B8FC6L92 and GB00B907VX32

So there must be a way of doing it , fix this and you are on course to convince me to buy your product

See

Sent: 21 August 2015 19:53
    To: '[email blocked]'
    Subject: RE: updating latest price of investments [Investments #273]

Hi scott

Thanks for the quick response.

Fund prices is one of my key requirements ( and I think its also for a large number of uk ms money users), so while I understand this is not your fault it is annoying.

A couple of comments

- I can get the prices I require into a CSV file eg from the FT website is there any way of uploading that ?

- I’ve downloaded the security prices add on and it works , but not easy to get the cursor in the right place, ideally it would be great if I could cut and paste the whole column rather than typing them one at a time

- Is there any other ways of getting prices in ?

douglas

8. System closed this discussion on 19 Mar, 2016 05:00 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac