Third-party Quote and Exchange Rate Program from hleofxquotes.

derekkent23

01 Jan, 2018 11:16 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.

I am a UK investor and have found that Alpha Vantage provide very poor support for UK/Irish/Luxenberg etc, domiciled funds.
I am currently testing a stand-alone program that was originally developed to help out users of MS Money when Microsoft stopped supporting that product. The developer is in the beta stages of adapting it to work with Moneydance. When I say beta, this build as far as I can see is very stable and the quotes very consistent. No strange prices or for UK funds switching back and forward between Pence and Pounds. It has a lot of useful features. These include, obtaining prices from many stocks and fund quoted on different exchanges. The ability to convert quotes from one currency to another. Convert prices in Pence to Pounds, if required, for UK stocks and funds. Provide a means for importing all this data into Moneydance. Importing exchange rates.

Anyway, download the attached PDF, use the links to download the programs and follow the instructions on how to use.

Please keep this thread to this subject on how to use the program, hleofxquotes in association Mike Brays Security Price Loader and how to import the data into Moneydance.

Please provide feedback on how well UK, Mainland Europe, USA and Canadian stocks and funds are covered.

Hope this helps.

ALWAYS CHECK TO SEE IF THERE IS A NEW PDF IN A LATER POST!

Showing page 9 out of 10. View the first page

1. 241 Posted by derekkent23 on 27 Jul, 2018 06:51 AM

I am not support staff. Just a user.

Hi Tony, true, but as a third part extension a update message does not appear in Moneydance under Extensions – Manage Extension. In line with all third-party extension you have to download the extension from the authors site and install it. Hence the warning message you get during the installation process. In this case Mike Bray’s site is a trusted source and the warning message can be safely ignored.

Hope this helps.

2. 242 Posted by Les garam on 28 Jul, 2018 04:19 AM

Hi Derek
    Installed the “hleOFXQuotes-gui-Build-20180512_207” and it works fine on W7 64bit.
    I get the prices from Yahoo for Australia with (AX) extension. Manage to save it as CSV for MD.
    When I open MD (2017.8 (1691)) and the Security Price Loader (Build 2038) I manage to “Choose File” and “Load File” the previously saved parameters load, no problems (see screen shot).
    When I “Load Data” the list with my holdings opens with the correct date for new prices, but the “Last Update” column shows dates when I didn’t even use the program. I select the box below the “Select” column and seemingly nothing happens. When I try to select individual stocks that proves impossible, as the row turns blue but the “Select” box remains empty. Tried to use Ctrl+A, but that does nothing.
    After selecting the “Update Current Price” box and the box below the “Select” column I hit the “Save Selected Values” button nothing happens.
    Where these prices should show up in MD?
    What am I doing wrong?
    Regards; Les

3. 243 Posted by derekkent23 on 28 Jul, 2018 07:27 AM

Hi, Les

Let’s take AHE Group as an example. The symbol in Moneydance is AHG. In the stand-alone program would have to be AHG.AX.
    These don’t match.

There are two ways to fix this.
    1. In Moneydance change the symbol from AHG to AHG.AX
    OR
    2. In the stand-alone program use AHG/AHG.AX see screen shot. Note Converted price window shows symbol as AHG so matches the symbol in Moneydance.

Now after saving a CSV file and using Mikes extension the New Price values should fill in. See screen shot.

Let me know how you get on. If it is still not working for you we can investigate further.

Hope this helps

4. 244 Posted by Les Garam on 28 Jul, 2018 08:07 AM

Hi Derek,

Thanks for your very quick reply to my #242 question.

I went with your first suggestion – changing the symbols in MD to XYZ.AX – and worked like a charm.

Thanks for your help guiding me through this problem.

All the best!

BTW, I copied this reply to the board, so others can see your excellent work.

Regards;

Les

This email and its attachment(s) (if any) were checked for viruses prior to dispatch.

5. 245 Posted by derekkent23 on 28 Jul, 2018 08:21 AM

Hi, Les

Really glad it now works for you.
    I think you will find hleofxquotes Stand-Alone program and Mikes extension really useful.

Any problems just post.

Make sure you keep an eye on this thread, more build updates on the way!

6. 246 Posted by rfh on 05 Aug, 2018 12:00 PM

Hi All, I also find Alpha Vantage to be a piece of ..., anyway I also tried this program and the extension and they work perfectly for me. I'm using version 209 of the program and version 2038 of the extension. I struggled for a bit on my Mac to get is using the correct version of Java but have finally overcome that issue. Aside from that they both have worked as documented and flawlessly.

Ron

7. 247 Posted by derekkent23 on 05 Aug, 2018 12:47 PM

Hi Ron

Really glad you got things to work.

Is there anything that could be added to the PDF to making it easier to load Java for Mac users, as a Windows user it just downloaded and installed.

I think you will find hleofxquotes Stand-Alone program and Mikes extension really useful.

Any problems just post.

Make sure you keep an eye on this thread, more build updates on the way!

8. 248 Posted by gandrews82 on 05 Aug, 2018 01:08 PM

Derek,

Thanks for exchange rate tip - all worked fine, and the BBOX just needed me to change the setup in Moneydance security file to take off the extension.

All working now, and the box that I thought had disappeared was lurking way in the left. Its a bit too faint and small to notice, especially if you are not maximised on the screen..

I’m very happy with this now, thanks for all your help.

Greg

9. 249 Posted by mawigmore on 05 Aug, 2018 01:12 PM

My main sticking point was specifying the relevant exchange. Do you prefix
    or suffix, colon or dot separator, which exchange initials to use, and so
    on. Some more clarification might help people in future.

Regards,

Mark

10. 250 Posted by Ronald Hall on 05 Aug, 2018 01:17 PM

Hi Derek,

On the java issue, later releases of Mac OS has later versions of java as part of the delivered OS, they install into /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/Current/Commands/java and utilize a symbolic link in /usr/bin/java to access it. When you install java from oracle it gets put into /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java

I tried removing java but could never get the apple supplied version to go away (using Sierra version is 7), finally I just created another symbolic link in /usr/bin/xjava that point to the correct version and then created a script to run the stand-alone app like thus: xjava -jar ….

Anyway that cleared up my issue on the old Mac mini, it was fine in a newer mini running the latest OS. Anyway thanks much for the efforts you all put into this. I would be looking for different money management software if it weren’t for this. I struggled with alpha vantage since last year and it was just never correct and I finally got fed up and a change was going to be made. Glad this worked, aside from the investment part since we lost yahoo I do really like money dance, I’ve been using it since 2013

Thanks again
    Ron

11. 251 Posted by derekkent23 on 05 Aug, 2018 01:18 PM

I am not support staff, just a user
    Hi gandrews82

Glad its all sorted.

Any problems just post.

12. 252 Posted by derekkent23 on 05 Aug, 2018 01:28 PM

Hi Mark
    If you look at the text in the green box on page 2 of the PDF it may help. Use the two links in this box to go to the site of the source you intend to use. In the search box on the site type in the name of the security or try entering the symbol. In both cases watch the filter window and select the security that fit the one you are looking for. This should identify if an exchange extension is needed.

You can also post the name of any securities you are having problems with, plus what you believe is there symbols and I will take a look.

Hope this helps

13. 253 Posted by Dan Hanger on 05 Aug, 2018 08:27 PM

Can't seem to get this to work. As you can see in the updater I can get all the quotes I want with the last date updated (Aug 3 in this case). I then export to CSV and load it into the security price loader in MD. All the quotes come up just fine, but two problems. One, the dates are wrong in about half of them, and two, the biggest problem, I can't get any of the tick boxes to accept a check mark for saving in MD. Even checking the bottom box for all at once does not check any of the individual ones.

Any clues?

Thanks, Dan

14. 254 Posted by derekkent23 on 05 Aug, 2018 08:44 PM

Hi Dan

The symbol used in the stand alone-program must exactly match those used in Moneydance, including case.
    There is however an essay solution for your mismatch.
    In Mikes extension tick the box “Ignore Ticker case”

When you say the Dates are wrong could you give an example

Hope this helps

15. 255 Posted by Dan Hanger on 05 Aug, 2018 08:54 PM

I'm not seeing any 'ignore ticker case' on my interface. Guess I'll have to fix that in the updater. I'll try that and see if that works, but not sure how that relates to the problem with the check boxes not responding.

As for the dates, if you look at the date column in the security price loader about half of them are dated differently than the rest. I looked at the CSV file and did not find any dates in it, so I concluded that once I can fix the check box problem the SPL must take care of that.

16. 256 Posted by Dan Hanger on 05 Aug, 2018 09:03 PM

I fixed the ticker case in the updater, once I imported the CSV into MD I was able to select all of them, so that was the problem there. But the SPL still does not correct the dates.

17. 257 Posted by Dan Hanger on 05 Aug, 2018 09:08 PM

Well I ran it a second (maybe it was a third time.....) and all the dates got corrected. Weird, but seems to be okay for the moment. Thanks for the tip about the ticker case.

Dan

18. 258 Posted by derekkent23 on 05 Aug, 2018 09:18 PM

Hi Dan

That looks like a extremely old build of Mikes extension.
    Build 2038 looks like the screen shot on page 4 of the PDF.

in your screen shot all the dates in the Stand-alone program are 2018-08-03
    The date "Last Update" in the extension reflects the last dates in Moneydance Security history window for each security. Last Price reflects the associated price for that Last Updated date.

Mike has two extensions.
    When using the Security Price loader you set a single date for all securities to be used when imported into Moneydance.

When using the Security History Loader the Last Traded Date for each Security is used.
    In the CSV file each line has a Price Symbol and date thus.

Price,Ticker_ISIN,Date
    "207.99","AAPL","03/08/2018"

Use the Link on page 4 of the PDF to download then install the extension following the instruction in the PDF.

Any problems just post.

19. 259 Posted by derekkent23 on 05 Aug, 2018 09:24 PM

Hi Dan

Our post crossed.
    Note my comments, you need to update the extensions.

The dates (Last Updated) and the Prices(Last Price) reflects what's in the Moneydance Security History window. The New Price is what you are about to enter, the value in the CSV file.

Let me know how you get on

Hope this helps

20. 260 Posted by geoff leach on 07 Aug, 2018 04:33 PM

Hi derekkent23,

Thanks for the guide to downloading prices, it works like a dream. The problem I have is the automated link to moneydance as I can't export the data into a CSV file. The right click: MD-SAVECSV doesn't seem to work. Any ideas what may be wrong?
    Thanks,

Geoff

21. 261 Posted by hleofxquotes on 07 Aug, 2018 05:51 PM

Hi geoff leach, can you expand on "MD-SAVECSV doesn't seem to work".
    Normal behaviour should be

• Select menu
    • File chooser pop up (make sure you navigate to a directory/folder that you can write)
    • enter fileName
    • click on Save
    • then use your os file browser to go the folder/directory and see if file was created and has content.
  22. 262 Posted by Dan Hanger on 07 Aug, 2018 11:39 PM

I installed the latest SPL version, everything seems to be working okay now. Thanks for the information in post 258, helps to understand how it works better. I probably could have found that info earlier in the thread, but sometimes it's just daunting when you see that many posts.

Thanks,
    Dan

23. 263 Posted by rfh on 08 Aug, 2018 01:17 AM

Hi Derek,
    First thank you much for being "tech support" and providing documentation for these most useful tools (price & history loader). I recently switched from using history loader to price loader as my brokerage house (Fidelity) provides the means to download prices into a CSV file with all accounts and securities that almost works with price loader. I would naturally like to get it to work without my having to do anything beyond running price loader. The problem is price loader encounters a dollar sign $ that precedes the price which the price loader balks at (I can't import any prices and cannot select any security from the price loader window). I have been getting around this by using sed (sed s/\\$//g <in >out) to remove all the $ in the downloaded CSV file which makes price loader "happy" and allows me to import the quotes.

I can't imagine it would be a huge change to ignore the $ symbol (although my java skills are next to non-existent), or to generalize it for various currency symbols maybe a bit more work. I have posted essentially this comment to a thread I found on "security price/history loader" started by Mike Bray back in May, I was the only person to comment so not sure that Mike is going to see that request so figured I'd post here as well as this appears to be a fairly active thread. I was hoping to request a modification so I could eliminate the sed step and just run the price loader on the downloaded Fidelity csv file.

Again thanks to you both for the support, documentation and development of these tools.
    Ron

24. 264 Posted by derekkent23 on 08 Aug, 2018 06:56 AM

Hi Dan

Glad you got it all to work.
    Any further problem just post.

25. 265 Posted by derekkent23 on 08 Aug, 2018 06:59 AM

Hi rfh

I see Mike has replied in the other thread.
    Just provide the information he requested and if he can I am sure he will help.

26. 266 Posted by derekkent23 on 08 Aug, 2018 07:05 AM

Hi Geoff

I don’t see a reply to hleofxquotes post regarding your problem.
    Did you get it fixed?
    If not, can you also post your computers operating system and were the hleofxquotes program has been placed and where you were trying to save the CSV file?

27. 267 Posted by geoff leach on 08 Aug, 2018 10:55 AM

Thanks hleofxquotes and derekkent23 for the offer of help.
    My operating system is 64 bit, Windows 10 Home version 1803.
    The hleOfxQuotes download is filed under This PC>downloads.
    I have tried to save the CSV file onder a My Documents directory which has a number of excel, word pdf etc files.

In summary, the file downloads all the prices I need. It doesn't just work for quoted stocks and shares, it also picks up etfs and unit trusts. It works really well. Unfortunately, I have a number of different investments and so to hand type them in would take ages.

If I right click on quote sources I can save and open a file, however it only includes a list of sources and no quotes.
    If I right click on Quote Source Prices and then MD> Save CSV it prompts file name mdQuotes-ft.csv. I have tried to save it to a number of different directories. Each time I hit save there appears to be no resultant file.

Hope this provides sufficient info to help diagnose what I am doing wrong.

Thanks again,

Geoff

28. 268 Posted by hleofxquotes on 08 Aug, 2018 02:02 PM

Hi Geoff,

I am going log a bug to help track this properly since you are the 2nd person reporting it. You can view the bug report at:

https://github.com/hleofxquotes/hleofxquotes/issues/5

I've added a comment there on a new version that you can try with some additional logging and where to find the log files.

Can you update the bug with your log file. You will need to create a github account (free).

Best,

29. 269 Posted by derekkent23 on 08 Aug, 2018 05:23 PM

I am not support staff just a user.

Hi Geoff

If you have never used Github before it can be confusing, or at least it was for me.
    So, any problems finding and downloading the test build of hleofxquotes program (Build_20180802_219) just post.

Start build 219, Update prices, try to save the CSV file.
    This will create a log file (hleOfxQuotes-log.txt) in the same folder as the program. Post this on hleofxquotes Github or if you get stuck just post here.
    You can open the log file in notepad.
    Toward the end of the file, possibly the last line you should find something like the following which indicate where the CSV file was saved to e.g. mine looks like this

2018-08-03 10:10:59,023 [AWT-EventQueue-0] INFO com.hungle.msmoney.core.qif.VelocityUtils - mergeTemplate, toFile=C:\Users\derek\Downloads\money\219 test\mdQuotes-ft.csv

Any problems just post.

30. 270 Posted by geoff.leach on 16 Aug, 2018 11:46 AM

Hi Derek,

Thanks for the help.

I have been swamped with work over the past few days and have only just been able to refocus on this problem.

I downloaded the updated file and it worked like a dream downloading prices. However, it will not save a CSV file and I could not find log file as you suggested.

Once I updated prices, I tried to save the CSV file and then did file exit. Should I have tried to save the file? I searched the entire pc and could not find a log file anywhere. Incidently, I did find the moneydance log file which showed that none of the prices were updating.

As you will probably guess, I am a novice at the technical stuff but hope that I am a quick learner. I wonder if there’s a problem with my machine set up. It’s an ASUS M32 series that I bought back in 2014.

Any help, as always, is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Geoff

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac