Third-party Quote Loader System for 2017

derekkent23

06 Sep, 2018 05:28 PM

Third-party Quote Loader System

I am not support staff, just a user.

A collaboration between the two software developers Mike Bray and Hleofxquotes.
Also, acknowledgement to Kevin N and dwg for their support during development.

Download the attached PDF, use the links to download the Quote Loader system elements and follow the instructions on how to use.

The PDF also contains a link to a tutorial on YouTube.

The Link provides access to second PDF that covers the creation and importing of Cryptocurrencies and Market Indices into Moneydance.

You must also update to at least the latest released build of Moneydance 2017 at https://infinitekind.com/download-moneydance-personal-finance-software to ensure compatibility.

Please keep this thread to this subject on how to use Quote Loader system.
Please try this approach and if you find it useful please take the time to post comments and outline any problems you may find.
Please provide feedback on how well UK, Mainland Europe, USA, Canadian, Australian and other stocks and funds are covered.

Hope this helps.

ALWAYS CHECK TO SEE IF THERE IS A NEW PDF IN A LATER POST!

1. 1 Posted by Mike Bray on 06 Sep, 2018 06:47 PM

This system is an alternative to Q&ER. It uses ft.com and yahoo.com.

For those of you who use Hleofxquotes and my Security Price Loader it merges this into one easy to use extension.

It is one of a selection of extensions I have written to help me with Moneydance. I have made them available free.

Have a look at https://bitbucket.org/mikerb/moneydance-2015/wiki/Home

2. 2 Posted by -Kevin N. on 06 Sep, 2018 11:37 PM

Hi All,

I was wondering whether it might be a good idea to suggest (maybe via the PDF) that users of the new extension create an account at Yahoo.

That way when they [Yahoo] experience an uptick in traffic to there quotes servers, they can at least attribute it to new accounts.

My fear is that if they can't attribute the increased traffic, they may shut the whole thing down.

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

3. 3 Posted by Mezzanine on 07 Sep, 2018 02:48 PM

Derek, Mike - thanks. Tested out last night and worked great with one minor issue.

On a Mac I couldn't set the default exchange by right-clicking (ctrl-click) on the source column. In the logs, I see this:

Quote Load>INFO:AWT-EventQueue-0(MouseListener,mouseReleased) width started
    Quote Load>INFO:AWT-EventQueue-0(MouseListener,mouseReleased) column -1 oldWidth -1

Individually setting an exchange for each security/currency worked fine.

4. 4 Posted by derekkent23 on 07 Sep, 2018 04:27 PM

I am not support staff just a user.

Don’t forget Hleofxquotes the other developer.

I am a windows user so I will need to get one of the others to check out the issue you have found.
    Just to confirm your mouse is hovering over the word Source when you ctrl-click?

Glad you found it performed well for you.

5. 5 Posted by Babo on 07 Sep, 2018 04:31 PM

To Mike and All -- I was able to download and install the programs this morning. It all worked just fine. I will test for a week or 10 days and then report back with an update. In the meantime, you have my humblest gratitude. Thank you! RB

6. 6 Posted by derekkent23 on 07 Sep, 2018 04:44 PM

Hi Babo

It good to get feedback from a user. Any problems just post.
    The team would really appreciate comments after you have had time to use the Quote Loader for a while. Thanks for taking the time to post.

7. 7 Posted by Mezzanine on 07 Sep, 2018 05:25 PM

Yes, nothing happens when I ctrl-click while hovering over the word "Source" at the top of the column.

8. 8 Posted by derekkent23 on 07 Sep, 2018 05:30 PM

Hi, Mezzanine

Thanks for the confirmation.
    The Developers will look into it.

9. 9 Posted by Mike Bray on 07 Sep, 2018 05:33 PM

Hi Mezzanine,

Can you try using right click on the word Source not ctrl-click. I have just tried it on a Mac and it showed the menu. If this doesn’t work please can you click on Help/ Debug and select Detailed. Rerun your test and post the errlog.txt file on to the forum.

Let me know if you need help with this.

Thank you for trying the extension. The more people that try it the quicker we iron out any remaing bugs.
    Mike

10. 10 Posted by Mike Bray on 07 Sep, 2018 05:37 PM

Not being a normal mac user I didnot know about ctrl-click to replace right-click. I expect Java sends me a different message when you use ctrl-click. I will test on my mac.
    Mike

11. 11 Posted by Mike Bray on 07 Sep, 2018 06:00 PM

Hi Mezzanie

I have found the issue, no need to do the test. I will fix in the next release.
    Mikr

12. 12 Posted by Mike V. on 07 Sep, 2018 11:02 PM

My thanks to the two developers. This is really a fantastic combination! Wow!!!

13. 13 Posted by Kent G on 08 Sep, 2018 01:38 PM

After so much frustration with the Moneydance developer falling down on the job with stock prices, I was so happy to find this solution. Works very well and solves a serious problem. Thanks!

14. 14 Posted by derekkent23 on 08 Sep, 2018 02:06 PM

Hi Mike V and Kent G

It good to get positive feedback.
    The team appreciate you both taking the time to post.
    Thanks.

15. 15 Posted by JimRB on 08 Sep, 2018 06:40 PM

Much simpler than a seperate java programme plus a loader. Thank you both.

I do wish I had read it all through first, instead of following it step by step. I found the QUOTES IN BRITISH STERLING PENCE, ONETIME SETUP after I'd actioned the previous steps...
    so had to edit my prices and then do the one time setup. Now it all works beautifully.

As I had had to in the stand alone programme, I had to change the security codes by adding a dot for Avivia (AV.) and BAE Systems (BAE.) otherwise I got a not found and a USD price for the US version of the shares.

16. 16 Posted by derekkent23 on 08 Sep, 2018 07:12 PM

Hi JimRB

I am sorry you missed the QUOTES IN BRITISH STERLING PENCE, ONETIME SETUP.
    In the Initial set-up step 6 page 4 “If any quotes are in British Sterling you MUST follow the step here.” I did put must in capitals bold and underlined.

Anyway, I am glad you got passed the problem and found the Quote Loader system an improvement and thanks for the positive feedback.

17. 17 Posted by rrcrum1 on 08 Sep, 2018 07:55 PM

I just installed everything following the directions in the PDF. It seemed to run just fine. I had earlier run the price update and noted the usual bug of mutual fund prices being for Thursday, not Friday when you run it on a Saturday. Quote loader did not have this issue. i.e. all prices were as of Friday for a Saturday run. It took seconds to get prices, not the several minutes that the other price updater was taking. The source was set for Yahoo. The system is Mac OS 10.13.6. MD 2017.8

18. 18 Posted by derekkent23 on 08 Sep, 2018 08:51 PM

Hi rrcrum1

Good to get your detailed feedback. I am pleased it is working for you.
    Thanks for taking the time to Post.

19. 19 Posted by UxR on 08 Sep, 2018 09:14 PM

Many thanks for this incredible effort to create this for the community. Well written guides as well.

This seems to work very well for me. On macOS, stocks from NASDAQ/LSE, Vanguard/Fidelity funds and multiple cryptos updated without a hitch after some tinkering to address the correct ticker symbols and tickers.

I'll let you know in case I come across an issue.

20. 20 Posted by derekkent23 on 08 Sep, 2018 09:21 PM

Hi UxR

It good to get positive feedback.Your the first reporting using the crypto feature.
    The team appreciate you taking the time to post.
    Thanks.

21. 21 Posted by Mike Bray on 09 Sep, 2018 06:09 AM

Build 2058 of Quote Loader and 1034 of Rhumba have been released. Please download and reinstall securityquoteload.mxt and Rhumba.mxt.

Fixes:

Accepts ctrl-click on Macs for right click
    Uses the preferred Decimal Character ('.' or ',')
    Rhumba Install screen points at the correct download page.

22. 22 Posted by derekkent23 on 09 Sep, 2018 08:15 AM

Third-party Quote Loader System

NEW BUILD RELEASE
    1. Fix ctrl-click issues on Mac.
    2. Link in Rhumba to download page corrected.
    3. Use comma as decimal separator when selected in Moneydance preferences.
    4. Update to Video Tutorial on YouTube, See new link in PDF.

securityquoteload.mxt - New Build 2058
    rhumba.mxt – New Build - Build 1034
    hleOfxQuotes.jar - No Change - Build 225

To receive Email updates on this thread, ensure the box at top right of page has been set to SUBSCRIBE.

A collaboration between the two software developers Mike Bray and Hleofxquotes.

PDF’s and Video by Derek Kent.

The system provides an end to end solution, obtaining quotes from a choice of two sources and entering them into the relevant History window, all from a single window within Moneydance. The system can obtain Security prices, Exchange Rates, Market indices, Cryptocurrency Rates and prices for Cryptocurrency Investments. The system provides quotes from many stock exchanges, US, Canada, UK, Europe and Australia to name but a few. The process of obtaining quotes from the selected source is fast and error free.

Download the attached PDF, use the links to download the Quote Loader system elements and follow the instructions on how to use. The PDF also contains a link to a tutorial on YouTube.

The Link provides access to second PDF that covers the creation and importing of Cryptocurrencies and Market Indices into Moneydance.

You must also update to at least the latest released build of Moneydance 2017 at https://infinitekind.com/download-moneydance-personal-finance-software to ensure compatibility.

Please keep this thread to this subject on how to use Quote Loader system.
    Please try this approach and if you find it useful please take the time to post comments and outline any problems you may find.

Please provide feedback on how well UK, Mainland Europe, USA, Canadian, Australian and other stocks and funds are covered.

Acknowledgement to Kevin N and dwg for their support during development.
    Hope this helps.

ALWAYS CHECK TO SEE IF THERE IS A NEW PDF IN A LATER POST!

23. 23 Posted by Mezzanine on 09 Sep, 2018 08:17 AM

When I try to update Rhumba and securityquoteload with the new versions, MD gives me a NULL java exception popup with both:

"There was an error loading the extension file: java.lang.NullPointerException"

This doesn't happen if I try to 'update' using the previous versions.

Latest MD preview on OSX.

24. 24 Posted by Mike Bray on 09 Sep, 2018 08:26 AM

Hi Mezzanine

I have just downloaded both extensions from Moneydance 2015 and installed on a Windows and Mac. Both installed correctly. Please can I ask that you download again and retry.

Thanks
    Mike

25. 25 Posted by Mezzanine on 09 Sep, 2018 08:35 AM

Mike - here's the MD5 checksums of my re-downloaded files. Could you verify?

MD5 (rhumba (1).mxt) = a582c6b9f2b854d0ff8152e685e1cad6
    MD5 (securityquoteload (2).mxt) = e3db09750f1399ac0586b839a7880bb8

I still get the same message when I try to update the extension. The console log reports the following when trying to update the rhumba extension:

Error: java.lang.NullPointerException
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.moneydance.apps.md.controller.ModuleLoader.loadFeatureModule(ModuleLoader.java:95)
    at com.moneydance.apps.md.controller.ModuleLoader.loadFeatureModule(ModuleLoader.java:44)
    at com.moneydance.apps.md.controller.Main.getExternalFeatureModule(Main.java:419)
    at com.moneydance.apps.md.view.gui.extensions.ExtensionListView.installFromFile(ExtensionListView.java:125)
    at com.moneydance.apps.md.view.gui.extensions.ExtensionListView.addFromFile(ExtensionListView.java:112)
    at com.moneydance.apps.md.view.gui.extensions.ExtensionListView$1.actionPerformed(ExtensionListView.java:56)
    at com.moneydance.apps.md.view.gui.MDAction.actionPerformed(MDAction.java:156)
    at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2022)
    at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2348)
    at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:402)
    at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:259)
    at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(BasicButtonListener.java:252)
    at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6533)
    at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3324)
    at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:6298)
    at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2237)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4889)
    at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2295)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4711)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4889)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:4526)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:4467)
    at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2281)
    at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2746)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4711)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:760)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(EventQueue.java:97)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:709)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:703)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:80)
    at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:90)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:733)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:731)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:80)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:730)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:205)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:116)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:105)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:93)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:82)

26. 26 Posted by Mike Bray on 09 Sep, 2018 08:46 AM

I can verify the MD5 checksums. You are OK with Securityquoteloader but not Rhumba?

I will pass on to the developer of this.

Thanks
    Mike

27. 27 Posted by Mike Bray on 09 Sep, 2018 09:22 AM

I have just downloaded preview 1699 on to my Mac running High Sierra 10.13.6 and installed the latest versions of securityquoteload.mxt and rhumba.mxt. This worked fine. Obviously something else is causing an error. I will wait for the Hleofxquotes author to wake up (he is on PS, BST -9). He might have some ideas.

28. 28 Posted by Mezzanine on 09 Sep, 2018 09:25 AM

Mike - sorry, I wasn't clear - both of the new extensions from this morning fail to load into MD for me. The rhumba log was an example. The quote loader log is similar. Both fail with a NULL pointer exception pop-up.

I tried uninstalling the original quoteloader, restarting MD and then installing the new one fresh (rather than updating) but it failed to load in exactly the same way.

I then tried installing the original mxt and it loaded into MD just fine. This is on 10.13.6 and MD 1699 (same as you). Very strange that you can't reproduce.

29. 29 Posted by Mike Bray on 09 Sep, 2018 09:48 AM

Hi Mezzanine, please can you post the errlog.txt after both failures.

Also you might try running MD in debug mode. If you start a terminal and enter:

/Applications/Moneydance.app/Contents/MacOS/Moneydance -d hopefully you will get some more messages that will give us a clue to what is going on.

I have asked Sean of IK if he can help.

Thanks
    Mike

30. 30 Posted by Mezzanine on 09 Sep, 2018 10:13 AM

Hi Mike,

errlog attached. The first NULL pointer is me trying to install the updated quoteloader extension, the second one is for rhumba extension.

Did you compile the java or wrap the new jars using different flags or tool versions since the initial releases?

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac