Third-party Quote Loader System for 2017

derekkent23

06 Sep, 2018 05:28 PM

Third-party Quote Loader System

I am not support staff, just a user.

A collaboration between the two software developers Mike Bray and Hleofxquotes.
Also, acknowledgement to Kevin N and dwg for their support during development.

Download the attached PDF, use the links to download the Quote Loader system elements and follow the instructions on how to use.

The PDF also contains a link to a tutorial on YouTube.

The Link provides access to second PDF that covers the creation and importing of Cryptocurrencies and Market Indices into Moneydance.

You must also update to at least the latest released build of Moneydance 2017 at https://infinitekind.com/download-moneydance-personal-finance-software to ensure compatibility.

Please keep this thread to this subject on how to use Quote Loader system.
Please try this approach and if you find it useful please take the time to post comments and outline any problems you may find.
Please provide feedback on how well UK, Mainland Europe, USA, Canadian, Australian and other stocks and funds are covered.

Hope this helps.

ALWAYS CHECK TO SEE IF THERE IS A NEW PDF IN A LATER POST!

Showing page 7 out of 9. View the first page

1. 181 Posted by derekkent23 on 01 Dec, 2018 02:03 PM

Hi Mark, bit confused.

You state.
    65LH.L and 87PN.L are only available via FT, but they are recorded in GBX so I’ll have to fudge the Security characteristics to correct this (they are currently in GBP on my MD).
    See attachment Mark1. When I run these two securities in the Quote Loader they are retuned as GBP and entered into Moneydance as GBP. This is as it should be? If not explain further.

You state ICG3.L, IPF1.L, PHP1.L, PMO1.L and VO32.L ticker symbols work fine on uk.finance.yahoo.com.
    Can you recheck, they don’t for me? For example, IPF.L (International Personal Finance plc) exists but not IPF1.L
    If you can’t determine the correct ticker symbol can you post the associated full name of the security.

You state ACN on NYSE is a dollar-denominated security in my Moneydance, but the quote loader converts the dollar quote into GBP. How can I stop this?

I set up ANC as a Dollar security, see attachment Mark2 and provided you follow the section “Procedure if one or more Securities or Quotes are not in Moneydance’s Base Currency.” page 6 of the PDF the returned Dollar price WILL NOT be converted to GBP in the Quote Loader window (Mark1) or the associated security history window (Mark2). its only converted to GBP in the some reports and areas like the Security Detail window, see Mark2.

If this does not work for you please explain further perhaps with screen shots.

Hope this helps

2. 182 Posted by mark.gu30 on 01 Dec, 2018 05:39 PM

FT-listed corp bonds: when you buy 50,000 of a bond at the nominal £1 listing (and repurchased at maturity for £1 each), the outlay is £50,000. The quotes in your Mark1.png are X 100 what they should be, possibly because these are often bought in chunks of 100 bonds. I should be able to fix this – only recently acquired these and not much historical data to re-work.

5 other corp bonds: You won’t find quotes for these bonds using the normal equity quote lookup on the uk.finance.yahoo.com page. But a little below that, there are two Add Symbol links for the Watchlist and Regular Viewing sections. Try those and you’ll see that these 5 corp bond tickers all work there.

ACN: I’ve attached my snapshot of the situation. I manually corrected the 30/11 historical price to $164.52, but it was originally a GBP figure (see 30/11 high-low prices on the same row which are still the GBP figures). But the Current Price box above this came through correctly to 6-decimal accuracy.

My situation is slightly different from your examples on page 6. MD base currency GBP, MD security currency USD, quote USD. Both your examples have the MD security currency as GBP and so the conversions work.

I could fix this by changing the MD security currency to GBP for this line of stock, but I have 18 years of historical data and transaction data in USD which I don’t want to lose!

Mark Davies at Churchlands Farm

3. 183 Posted by derekkent23 on 01 Dec, 2018 07:00 PM

Hi Mark

Looks like you have a fix for the first two bonds.

For the 5 other corp bonds can you provide the Yahoo web address so I can see what you are seeing?

ACN is covered by case A on page 6 of the PDF. In the case A example MD base currency GBP, MD security currency EUR, quote EUR. Only difference is in the PDF the security and quote are EURO instead of USD.
    Can you confirm as outlined in steps a. b. & c. you obtained and save the USD exchange rate of 1.2757 and then followed steps d. f. & g. so that the USD value of the ACN price is saved in the history windows current and dated Price boxes.
    If the data for a given day already exist in the history window unexpected results can occur.
    Try this.
    In the ACN history window highlight the data for the 30/11/2018 and click REMOVE then follow steps a. to g. again.

Hope this helps.

4. 184 Posted by derekkent23 on 02 Dec, 2018 08:51 AM

Third-party Quote Loader System

Update:-
    At a user’s request add 22:00 hours to the Time of Run Dropdown selection when using Automatic Update.

securityquoteload.mxt – Updated to 2124
    rhumba.mxt – Remains 1036
    hleOfxQuotes.jar – Remains 226

PDF “Quote Loader System by Mike Bray and hleofxquotes” Remains V5.1. Tutorial Video Remains V5.1. PDF “Moneydance Quote Loader System Handling Cryptocurrencies and Market Indices” remains at V2.0

Users must uninstall the Quotes and Rates Updater extension to Prevent Conflicts!!

To receive email notification to updates on this thread, click the SUBSCRIBE button in the box at the top right of the forum page

A collaboration between the two software developers Mike Bray and Hleofxquotes.
    PDF’s and Video by Derek Kent.

The system provides an end to end solution, obtaining quotes from a choice of two sources and entering them into the relevant History window, all from a single window within Moneydance. The system can obtain Security prices, Exchange Rates, Market indices, Cryptocurrency Rates and prices for Cryptocurrency Investments. The system provides quotes from many stock exchanges, US, Canada, UK, Europe and Australia to name but a few. The process of obtaining quotes from the selected source is fast and error free.

Download the attached PDF, use the links to download the Quote Loader system elements and follow the instructions on how to use.

The PDF also contains a link to a tutorial on YouTube.

The link provides access to second PDF that covers the creation and importing of Cryptocurrencies and Market Indices into Moneydance.

You must also update to at least the latest released build of Moneydance 2017 at https://infinitekind.com/download-moneydance-personal-finance-software to ensure compatibility.

Please keep this thread to this subject on how to use Quote Loader system.

Please try this approach and if you find it useful please take the time to post comments and outline any problems you may find.
    Please provide feedback on how well UK, Mainland Europe, USA, Canadian, Australian and other stocks and funds are covered.

Acknowledgement to Kevin N and dwg for their support during development.

Hope this helps.

ALWAYS CHECK TO SEE IF THERE IS A NEW PDF IN A LATER POST!

5. 185 Posted by mark.gu30 on 02 Dec, 2018 12:08 PM

Derek

Here’s a screenprint of the finance.yahoo page with the bond quotes.

Near the top of the list is a link to + Add Symbol, which is how I got them on the list

You can also click on regular viewing to edit the list, re-order, etc

6. 186 Posted by spanky on 02 Dec, 2018 04:15 PM

I had several issues with the moneydance quote system including nothing being download at time. I switched to this quote loader system a month ago and have not had any problems other than I didn't read the instructions before trying to use it. Amazing how easy it was once I read the documentation.

7. 187 Posted by derekkent23 on 02 Dec, 2018 04:22 PM

Hi Mark thanks for the information. As far as I can see the Quote Loader cannot access your 5 other corporate bonds. Sorry. Hope you find the securities it can access of help.

8. 188 Posted by spanky on 02 Dec, 2018 04:25 PM

Email went to wrong guy. But question – can the quote loaded access the price of book entry bonds?

9. 189 Posted by derekkent23 on 02 Dec, 2018 05:41 PM

Hi Spanky, I am not familiar with that investment type and if their ticker symbols or names do not produce results in the two linked web pages in the PDF then they are probably not supported.

10. 190 Posted by mark.gu30 on 02 Dec, 2018 11:20 PM

OK – well thanks Derek anyway for your help getting going.

11. 191 Posted by moneydancequote... on 14 Dec, 2018 05:34 PM

Hello,

I've been trialing Moneydance for five or six days and found this extension a couple days ago after being frustrated with the Moneydance included Alpha. Alpha is seriously slow and I never could figure out how to get the NASDAQ Composite. Thank you for putting in the time and effort with this extension. The core function of quote retrieval is working well for me, but (always a but eh?) I have run across a couple bugs.

The first bug has to do with how the extension affects the Moneydance display in Kubuntu 18.04. I'm getting these little right pointing black triangles in the menu bar. Start Moneydance, click Extensions > Quote Loader. The Quote Loader window opens. Click the Close button on Quote Loader. Now click Extensions > Quote Loader and the triangles appear. The triangles remain until I close & reopen Moneydance. I'm attaching a screen capture.

Bug #2 has to do with incorrect naming and location of the extension's configuration files in Kubuntu. This results in settings failing to export with Moneydance File > Export Backup and in Windows 10 produces Error: 0x800401E5 No object for moniker when trying to copy .moneydance financial info to a thumb drive from Windows. Windows doesn't tolerate "\" in file names.

My Moneydance use and install are not average user. Above I mentioned both Kubuntu 18.04 and Windows 10. I dual boot. If I'm in Kubuntu and want to enter a transaction, I don't want to reboot to Windows and back. Same thing if I'm in Windows. So Moneydane is installed in both Windows 10 and in Kubuntu on my laptop. These are local install, not via network. Both versions were installed in their respective default directories. The kicker is financial file location.

Moneydance Windows accesses financial files as:
    D:\JFK-My Money\2018Tax\.moneydance\Documents\JFK 2018.moneydance
    The two files MRBPreferences.dict and securityquoteload.bpam2 saved here are fine.

Moneydance Linux accesses the same financial files as:
    /mnt/JFK-Data/JFK-My Money/2018Tax/.moneydance/Documents/JFK 2018.moneydance

In Kubuntu they end up in:
    /mnt/JFK-Data/JFK-My Money/2018Tax/.moneydance/Documents
    with the files saved in that directory as JFK 2018.moneydance\MRBPreferences.dict and JFK 2018.moneydance\securityquoteload.bpam2 respectively.

Assuming you choose to work on this, might I suggest having different configuration file names for Windows and Linux? Put them in the proper place for Moneydance Export and without the "\". My reasoning for OS specific files has to do with screen scaling and readability, column with and font size. I have resolution at 1920 x 1080 in both Kubuntu and Windows. Scaling in Windows is 125%. Kubuntu has 1.2 and 1.3; no 125% or 1.25. Column widths in Quote Loader are set slightly different in Kubuntu vs. Windows.

One final observation about the instructional pdf for using Quote Loader to get indices quotes. I didn't see the need to create a "Market Indices" account and buy shares (using some of the trial transactions). Just use the Moneydance built-in Tools > Securities to add .DOW or .NASDAQ and enter the correct symbol. In Quote Loader tick the "Include zero accounts?" box and Save Parameters.

Thank You,

Jesse

12. 192 Posted by derekkent23 on 15 Dec, 2018 09:17 AM

Hi Jesse

The first thing to state is I am a windows 7 & 10 user, two computers. I don’t have any experience with Mac or Linux. The two developers of Quote Loader, one uses Mac the other Mac and windows, not sure if they have Linux experience.

So maybe the developers can comment on the issues related to your, as you say, “not average user setup”, maybe not. I will make sure they are aware of your post.

All I can say is in standard Window and Mac setups there are no issues of the type you describe. The few Linux users that have posted did not voice any problems. Let’s, see if the developers can add anything.

Your approach Tools > Securities to add .DOW or .NASDAQ and enter the correct symbol and in Quote Loader tick the "Include zero accounts?" box and Save Parameters is fine. Lots of users over the years accumulate many securities they no longer have holding in and don’t want to track. By following the PDF, they can leave the “Include zero account?” box unticked and get the securities they are interested in, plus the indices they wish to track. Whatever works for you.

Thanks for taking the time to post and that the core function of Quote Loader retrieval are working well for you.

13. 193 Posted by dwg on 15 Dec, 2018 09:39 AM

Jesse,

I'm a fellow user.

Reading you post it appears you are accessing the same data files under the two operating systems although at different times.

This is not the way Moneydance 2017 is designed to work, each system, and for the purpose of this discussion an operating system should be considered a system in my opinion, is intended to have their own local copy of the data set, shared with nothing else and information is exchanged between systems using a shared location, whether that be a dropbox folder or some sort of shared directory.

14. 194 Posted by derekkent23 on 15 Dec, 2018 09:55 AM

High dwg.

Are you recommending Jesse to have two separate install of Moneydance, one for the windows environment, one for the Linux environment and use Moneydance’s standard sync engine to sync between the two as outlined at http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/syncing-and-sharing-data/syncing-wi...

15. 195 Posted by Mike Bray on 15 Dec, 2018 10:02 AM

Hi Jesse

On first look bug #1 is not something that Quote Loader can affect. I do not touch the main menu nor the graphic look and feel. Please can you have a look at the errorlog to see if there is an exception listed. You sometimes get strange behaviour when an exception occurs.

On bug #2 as dwg has stated MD thinks it is the only app accessing the files. Your configuration is unusual and I am sure it will not have been tested. As far as the parameter files are concerned. When the data held in the files is pertinent to the open dataset I store the data in the dataset folder so when you backup the dataset the parameters are backed up with it.

With Quote Loader we also have some installation specific files that contain information for all datasets. These files are stored in the .moneydance/fmodules/.rhumba folder.

As Java is meant to be agnostic to the operating system being used I rely on Moneydance to tell me two things, The folder for the dataset and the folder for moneydance. Moneydance takes care of where they are in the folder heirarchy.

Regards
    Mike (not MD support, Quote Loader author)

16. 196 Posted by dwg on 15 Dec, 2018 10:14 AM

Hi Derek,

That in my view would be a supported configuration.

Now you might get away with the configuration if you only mounted it from the /document Level, but mounting it at the .moneydance level I see as a problem because data like config.dic, loaded modules etc should be considered to be local data i.e. linked to the OS in this case. Mounting at the Document level is not something I believe Moneydance would have tested however so I would not be expecting a tick of approval.

17. 197 Posted by derekkent23 on 15 Dec, 2018 10:33 AM

Thanks dwg.

18. 198 Posted by sprimost on 15 Dec, 2018 07:53 PM

Hi Jesse --

The first bug is actually very normal. I am using Kubuntu 18.04 (and
    previous LTS versions) and see it all the time. You can also duplicate
    it by clicking on File->Preferences and then canceling. As you stated,
    it is a function of the screen rendering done by KDE Plasma. I cna't
    remember if I saw it with Gnome or Unity, but if not, it will be as soon
    as the "Lords" migrate to Wayland or some other X-windows.

You will also notice a similar issue when you do an File->Export Backup,
    Select Archive file, and move to Recently Used. The file name of the
    default file name for the export is erased _on the display_. But it
    still writes the file to the disk. The crazy thing is that it is not
    happening 100% of the time.

Steve (not MD support, just a user)

19. 199 Posted by moneydancequote... on 17 Dec, 2018 12:26 AM

Hi Steve,

It had been quite awhile since I last saw the black triangles. I don't recall seeing them previously in Kubuntu 18.04 LTS. The File>Preferences method you describe did not show them for me. I was able to reproduce the disappearing file name with File>Export Backup though.

Regards,

Jesse

On 12/15/18 2:53 PM, sprimost wrote:
    pre { width: 92%; margin: 10px 2%; padding: 5px 2%; background: #efefef; border: 1px solid #d6d6d6 } blockquote { margin-left: 0; padding-left: 1em; border-left: 5px solid #ccc; }

// Please reply above this line
    ==================================================

Hi Jesse --

The first bug is actually very normal. I am using Kubuntu 18.04 (and
    previous LTS versions) and see it all the time. You can also duplicate
    it by clicking on File->Preferences and then canceling. As you stated,
    it is a function of the screen rendering done by KDE Plasma. I cna't
    remember if I saw it with Gnome or Unity, but if not, it will be as soon
    as the "Lords" migrate to Wayland or some other X-windows.

You will also notice a similar issue when you do an File->Export Backup,
    Select Archive file, and move to Recently Used. The file name of the
    default file name for the export is erased _on the display_. But it
    still writes the file to the disk. The crazy thing is that it is not
    happening 100% of the time.

Steve (not MD support, just a user)

On Sat, Dec 15 at 02:33 AM PST, derekkent23 wrote:

Thanks dwg.

Having trouble reading this? View this discussion online: Third-party Quote Loader System.

To unsubscribe and stop receiving emails from http://help.infinitekind.com, visit this page

20. 200 Posted by moneydancequote... on 17 Dec, 2018 12:35 AM

Hi Derek,

The Windows portion has no problems for me. I don't do Mac. The root cause of the error in Windows is generated by the Linux files being incorrectly written. Correct the Linux file writes and the Windows issue is gone.

Regards,

Jesse

On 12/15/18 4:17 AM, derekkent23 wrote:
    pre { width: 92%; margin: 10px 2%; padding: 5px 2%; background: #efefef; border: 1px solid #d6d6d6 } blockquote { margin-left: 0; padding-left: 1em; border-left: 5px solid #ccc; }

Hi Jesse

The first thing to state is I am a windows 7 & 10 user, two computers. I don’t have any experience with Mac or Linux. The two developers of Quote Loader, one uses Mac the other Mac and windows, not sure if they have Linux experience.

So maybe the developers can comment on the issues related to your, as you say, “not average user setup”, maybe not. I will make sure they are aware of your post.

All I can say is in standard Window and Mac setups there are no issues of the type you describe. The few Linux users that have posted did not voice any problems. Let’s, see if the developers can add anything.

Your approach Tools > Securities to add .DOW or .NASDAQ and enter the correct symbol and in Quote Loader tick the "Include zero accounts?" box and Save Parameters is fine. Lots of users over the years accumulate many securities they no longer have holding in and don’t want to track. By following the PDF, they can leave the “Include zero account?” box unticked and get the securities they are interested in, plus the indices they wish to track. Whatever works for you.

Thanks for taking the time to post and that the core function of Quote Loader retrieval are working well for you.

On Fri, Dec 14 at 09:34 AM PST, moneydancequotes01 wrote:

Hello,

I've been trialing Moneydance for five or six days and found this extension a couple days ago after being frustrated with the Moneydance included Alpha. Alpha is seriously slow and I never could figure out how to get the NASDAQ Composite. Thank you for putting in the time and effort with this extension. The core function of quote retrieval is working well for me, but (always a but eh?) I have run across a couple bugs.

The first bug has to do with how the extension affects the Moneydance display in Kubuntu 18.04. I'm getting these little right pointing black triangles in the menu bar. Start Moneydance, click Extensions > Quote Loader. The Quote Loader window opens. Click the Close button on Quote Loader. Now click Extensions > Quote Loader and the triangles appear. The triangles remain until I close & reopen Moneydance. I'm attaching a screen capture.

Bug #2 has to do with incorrect naming and location of the extension's configuration files in Kubuntu. This results in settings failing to export with Moneydance File > Export Backup and in Windows 10 produces Error: 0x800401E5 No object for moniker when trying to copy .moneydance financial info to a thumb drive from Windows. Windows doesn't tolerate "\" in file names.

My Moneydance use and install are not average user. Above I mentioned both Kubuntu 18.04 and Windows 10. I dual boot. If I'm in Kubuntu and want to enter a transaction, I don't want to reboot to Windows and back. Same thing if I'm in Windows. So Moneydane is installed in both Windows 10 and in Kubuntu on my laptop. These are local install, not via network. Both versions were installed in their respective default directories. The kicker is financial file location.

Moneydance Windows accesses financial files as:
    D:\JFK-My Money\2018Tax\.moneydance\Documents\JFK 2018.moneydance
    The two files MRBPreferences.dict and securityquoteload.bpam2 saved here are fine.

Moneydance Linux accesses the same financial files as:
    /mnt/JFK-Data/JFK-My Money/2018Tax/.moneydance/Documents/JFK 2018.moneydance

In Kubuntu they end up in:
    /mnt/JFK-Data/JFK-My Money/2018Tax/.moneydance/Documents
    with the files saved in that directory as JFK 2018.moneydance\MRBPreferences.dict and JFK 2018.moneydance\securityquoteload.bpam2 respectively.

Assuming you choose to work on this, might I suggest having different configuration file names for Windows and Linux? Put them in the proper place for Moneydance Export and without the "\". My reasoning for OS specific files has to do with screen scaling and readability, column with and font size. I have resolution at 1920 x 1080 in both Kubuntu and Windows. Scaling in Windows is 125%. Kubuntu has 1.2 and 1.3; no 125% or 1.25. Column widths in Quote Loader are set slightly different in Kubuntu vs. Windows.

One final observation about the instructional pdf for using Quote Loader to get indices quotes. I didn't see the need to create a "Market Indices" account and buy shares (using some of the trial transactions). Just use the Moneydance built-in Tools > Securities to add .DOW or .NASDAQ and enter the correct symbol. In Quote Loader tick the "Include zero accounts?" box and Save Parameters.

Thank You,

Jesse

Having trouble reading this? View this discussion online: Third-party Quote Loader System.

To unsubscribe and stop receiving emails from http://help.infinitekind.com, visit this page

21. 201 Posted by sprimost on 17 Dec, 2018 01:15 AM

Hi Jesse

You may have gotten me on that point about the black triangles! It is
    not something that affects anything, and I may not noticed it before it
    was mentioned. I run ARCH LINUX on another box and I don't see it (it is
    running a version of KDE Plasma so I can check if subsequent Neon
    versions solve it. ARCH is in a rolling release and Plasma just updated.

I duplicated it by doing File->Preferences, mumble-jumble with
    preferences, and then cancel.

I never saw the disappearing file name in previous release (16.04 LTS
    and Kubuntu desktop).

Thanks

Steve

22. 202 Posted by moneydancequote... on 17 Dec, 2018 01:33 AM

Hi dwg,

Yes, same data files at different times and different operating systems on same laptop. I've been doing something similar with Quicken for quite some time. I'll use Virtualbox and a Windows 10 VM when in Kubuntu. It's two Quicken installs; one in Windows Home and second install in the VM which is Windows 10 Pro "upgraded" from Windows 7 Ultimate. Both access the same data. In native Windows the Quicken data is D:\JFK-Data\JFK-My Money\2018Tax\My Money 2018.QDF and from the VM the data is in a shared folder /mnt/JFK-Data/JFK-My Money/2018Tax/My Money 2018.QDF.

It doesn't seem logical to me to have duplicate data files on the same machine. In my search to replace Quicken I've eliminated KMyMoney as it does not support attaching receipts to transactions. I was about to give up on Moneydance when the Alpha extension wouldn't retrieve the NASDAQ Composite. Then I stumbled upon this Quote Loader work-in-progress. I can use it knowing how it behaves on my system. Hopefully what I see will help Mike et al. get it behaving well in Linux.

Regards,

Jesse

On 12/15/18 4:39 AM, dwg wrote:

Jesse,

I'm a fellow user.

Reading you post it appears you are accessing the same data files under the two operating systems although at different times.

This is not the way Moneydance 2017 is designed to work, each system, and for the purpose of this discussion an operating system should be considered a system in my opinion, is intended to have their own local copy of the data set, shared with nothing else and information is exchanged between systems using a shared location, whether that be a dropbox folder or some sort of shared directory.

23. 203 Posted by moneydancequote... on 17 Dec, 2018 01:37 AM

Hi Mike,

I believe you're correct on Bug #1 not being a Quote Loader issue. In Steve's note he pointed out another way he can get the triangles. He jogged my memory and I do recall seeing them in some other program in a previous Kubuntu version. That was maybe 4 years ago on a different laptop. Memory is a little foggy, but I think the triangles went away when I switched video drivers from those included with Kubuntu to proprietary. The old laptop had AMD video and AMD had their own drivers. The current laptop has Intel video and no proprietary driver download to try.

There was an error in the log about MD not loading properties for theme custom. In trialing MD I had not changed from the default. So I made a custom theme (changed one color). The error went away and MD loaded the custom theme. There was no change in Quote Loader and the black triangles.

Bug #2 is, I believe, truly a bug in where or how Quote Loader saves its info. To avoid any Windows confusion I uninstalled the MD Windows version after exporting data to thumb drive. I booted Kubuntu and put my data in the standard Linux install directory, not accessing data in /mnt on separate data drive. I renamed the directory where the data previously was. In MD preferences I unchecked the Separate backup folder option. I deleted the newly created .moneydance on the data drive. I unmounted the data drive. Now there was nothing left (hopefully) but standard Linux install for MD.

If you want to "store the data in the dataset folder so when you backup the dataset the parameters are backed up with it," that's not happening in Kubuntu 18.04 LTS. Please refer to the two screenshots. The first is where you're wanting the files to be. The second is where or how they actually end up written. I tried replacing the space in the dataset name with an underscore with no change.

Derek mentioned you might not have much experience with Linux. One difference between Windows and Linux is how a path is written. Windows uses a backslash and Linux a forward slash. I'm attaching errlog.txt which is Linux and errlog_win.txt. Check the Loading dataset line. What may be happening is in Linux the files are written with a backslash where a forward slash should be.

Regards,

Jesse

On 12/15/18 5:02 AM, Mike Bray wrote:

Hi Jesse

On first look bug #1 is not something that Quote Loader can affect. I do not touch the main menu nor the graphic look and feel. Please can you have a look at the errorlog to see if there is an exception listed. You sometimes get strange behaviour when an exception occurs.

On bug #2 as dwg has stated MD thinks it is the only app accessing the files. Your configuration is unusual and I am sure it will not have been tested. As far as the parameter files are concerned. When the data held in the files is pertinent to the open dataset I store the data in the dataset folder so when you backup the dataset the parameters are backed up with it.

With Quote Loader we also have some installation specific files that contain information for all datasets. These files are stored in the .moneydance/fmodules/.rhumba folder.

As Java is meant to be agnostic to the operating system being used I rely on Moneydance to tell me two things, The folder for the dataset and the folder for moneydance. Moneydance takes care of where they are in the folder heirarchy.

Regards

On Sat, Dec 15 at 01:55 AM PST, derekkent23 wrote:

High dwg.

Are you recommending Jesse to have two separate install of Moneydance, one for the windows environment, one for the Linux environment and use Moneydance’s standard sync engine to sync between the two as outlined at http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/syncing-and-sharing-data/syncing-wi...

24. 204 Posted by Mike Bray on 17 Dec, 2018 10:02 AM

Hi Jesse

Thanks for the note. I can see where the issue is and it should be easily fixed. It is many years since I have used any variation of Unix let alone programmed for it. I will make the change to the file path and test on Windows and OSX. If you could test it on Linux that would be very useful. I will let you know when it has been uploaded.

Regards
    Mike

25. 205 Posted by moneydancequote... on 17 Dec, 2018 12:16 PM

Hi Mike,

I'll be happy to test it.

Regards,

Jesse

On 12/17/18 5:03 AM, Mike Bray wrote:

Hi Jesse

Thanks for the note. I can see where the issue is and it should be easily fixed. It is many years since I have used any variation of Unix let alone programmed for it. I will make the change to the file path and test on Windows and OSX. If you could test it on Linux that would be very useful. I will let you know when it has been uploaded.

Regards
    Mike

On Sun, Dec 16 at 05:37 PM PST, moneydancequotes01 wrote:

Hi Mike,

I believe you're correct on Bug #1 not being a Quote Loader issue. In Steve's note he pointed out another way he can get the triangles. He jogged my memory and I do recall seeing them in some other program in a previous Kubuntu version. That was maybe 4 years ago on a different laptop. Memory is a little foggy, but I think the triangles went away when I switched video drivers from those included with Kubuntu to proprietary. The old laptop had AMD video and AMD had their own drivers. The current laptop has Intel video and no proprietary driver download to try.

There was an error in the log about MD not loading properties for theme custom. In trialing MD I had not changed from the default. So I made a custom theme (changed one color). The error went away and MD loaded the custom theme. There was no change in Quote Loader and the black triangles.

Bug #2 is, I believe, truly a bug in where or how Quote Loader saves its info. To avoid any Windows confusion I uninstalled the MD Windows version after exporting data to thumb drive. I booted Kubuntu and put my data in the standard Linux install directory, not accessing data in /mnt on separate data drive. I renamed the directory where the data previously was. In MD preferences I unchecked the Separate backup folder option. I deleted the newly created .moneydance on the data drive. I unmounted the data drive. Now there was nothing left (hopefully) but standard Linux install for MD.

If you want to "store the data in the dataset folder so when you backup the dataset the parameters are backed up with it," that's not happening in Kubuntu 18.04 LTS. Please refer to the two screenshots. The first is where you're wanting the files to be. The second is where or how they actually end up written. I tried replacing the space in the dataset name with an underscore with no change.

Derek mentioned you might not have much experience with Linux. One difference between Windows and Linux is how a path is written. Windows uses a backslash and Linux a forward slash. I'm attaching errlog.txt which is Linux and errlog_win.txt. Check the Loading dataset line. What may be happening is in Linux the files are written with a backslash where a forward slash should be.

Regards,

Jesse

Hi Jesse

Regards

On Sat, Dec 15 at 01:55 AM PST, derekkent23 wrote:

High dwg.

Having trouble reading this? (truncated)

26. 206 Posted by Mike Bray on 17 Dec, 2018 01:23 PM

Hi Jesse, build 2125 has been uploaded to the Download area. It will search for files in the following sequence:

datafolder/securityquoteload.bpam2
    datafolder//securityquoteload.bpam
    datafolder/\secuirityquoteload.bpam2
    datafolder/securityquoteload.bpam

It will always create a file called datafolder/securityquoteload.bpam2.

The same problem existed on OSx which is not surprising as it is based on UNIX in the distant past.

Please give it a go. The MRBPreferences.dict file is treated in the same way. Hopefully your parameter settings are preserved.

Mike

27. 207 Posted by moneydancequote... on 17 Dec, 2018 04:15 PM

Hi Mike,

I have the download 2125 and will try it today.

Regards,

Jesse

On 12/17/2018 8:23 AM, Mike Bray wrote:

Hi Jesse, build 2125 has been uploaded to the Download area. It will search for files in the following sequence:

The same problem existed on OSx which is not surprising as it is based on UNIX in the distant past.

Please give it a go. The MRBPreferences.dict file is treated in the same way. Hopefully your parameter settings are preserved.

Mike

On Mon, Dec 17 at 04:16 AM PST, moneydancequotes01 wrote:

Hi Mike,

I'll be happy to test it.

Regards,

Jesse

On 12/17/18 5:03 AM, Mike Bray wrote:

Hi Jesse

Regards
    Mike

On Sun, Dec 16 at 05:37 PM PST, moneydancequotes01 wrote:

Hi Mike,

Regards,

Jesse

Hi Jesse

(truncated)
  28. 208 Posted by moneydancequote... on 18 Dec, 2018 04:03 AM

Hi Mike,

It looks like the build 2125 files are being written where they belong. I tried three different ways - regular Linux, dual booting Linux for accessing data on the /mnt location, and booting Windows. And the files are being read from where they are now written.

In regular Linux with build 2124 the datafolder did not contain the configuration files. The previous Quote Loader build was writing to the Documents folder and naming them "datafolder\securityquoteload.bpam2" and "datafolder\MRBPreferences.dict". I did not lose any settings. I just renamed the files that were previously written in Documents and moved them where they belonged. As you said the OSx file system is based on UNIX, OSx users build 2124 preferences might also be in their Documents directory with a backslash name similar to mine.

I see Quote Loader is noting column width in MRBPreferences.dict. I also see the columns can be re-ordered. Column order is not being saved to MRBPreferences.dict. Is Quote Loader currently supposed to be saving the column order or is that for future development?

Regards,

Jesse

On 12/17/18 8:23 AM, Mike Bray wrote:

Mike

29. 209 Posted by PaulF on 18 Dec, 2018 11:20 AM

DO NOT OPEN - I have been hacked. This contains a virus. Moderator please delete this post

30. 210 Posted by derekkent23 on 18 Dec, 2018 11:27 AM

Hi PaulF

Can you post the file again but in a PDF format. My Norton Security will not allow me to open the file.

Thanks

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac