Tracking Restricted Stock Units

william.morin's Avatar


03 Oct, 2015 07:04 PM

I'm new to receiving restricted stock units (RSU) from an employer. First off, how should I record this awards since I will not be vested for two years? Would my tax basis begin the day I become vested or the day it was awarded? Should I setup an income category for awards, then track the RSUs just like any other individual stock?

  1. 1 Posted by Tom Freeman on 05 Oct, 2015 04:21 PM

    Tom Freeman's Avatar

    You should contact a tax professional for tax advice on your RSU's.

    Accounting for RSU's is dependent on how they are set up, do they vest all at one or in increments. You should set up an income category called RSU vested. When the RSU's are vested you would make a buyxfer from this catagory for the shares at the total value of the shares at the time the shares are vested. You HR/Payroll department should be able to advise both the fairmarket value of the RSU's and the taxable income associated.

    Tom Freeman
    Infinite Kind Support

  2. 2 Posted by william.morin on 16 Oct, 2015 12:16 AM

    william.morin's Avatar

    Thank you for the information on handling RSU's. I'll also check a tax professional and my HR department for more information.

  3. 3 Posted by Tom Freeman on 18 Oct, 2015 09:16 PM

    Tom Freeman's Avatar

    Tom Freeman
    Infinite Kind Support

  4. Tom Freeman closed this discussion on 18 Oct, 2015 09:16 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts


? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac