Quote Loader Security/Currency price loader for Moneydance 2019

Mike Bray

30 Dec, 2018 10:22 AM

The Infinite Kind has recently released a new version of Moneydance for testing/preview. It is called Moneydance 2019 and can be found at https://infinitekind.com/preview. It has a number of changes in particular in the storing of Security Prices. In addition the base version of Java used to run Moneydance has been updated from Java 1.8 to Java 11.

With this in mind I have released a new version of the Quote Loader extension. It can be found at https://bitbucket.org/mikerb/moneydance-2019/downloads/.

IMPORTANT Do not run the old versions of Quote Loader with Moneydance 2019. Do not run the new versions with Moneydance 2017.

You can find information about Quote Loader for Moneydance 2017 in this thread http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/investments/3771-third-par...

Showing page 4 out of 8. View the first page

1. 91 Posted by thboyd on 17 Feb, 2019 04:46 PM

Thanks, Yahoo seems to work fine. I really appreciate your help and based on the few minutes of use I really like quote loader.

2. 92 Posted by derekkent23 on 17 Feb, 2019 04:59 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.

We found a very small number of funds that were not being returned by Yahoo or had old dates, that were supported by Yahoo HD. Yahoo HD return last available closing prices, hence it’s inclusion. FT probably does a better job outside the US and certainly for funds in the UK and Europe and returns many not supported by Yahoo.

Hope this helps.

3. 93 Posted by shiner03 on 17 Feb, 2019 11:35 PM

I just upgraded to MD 2019.1 (1855) on a Mac OS 10.11.6 but I'm very confused by all the programming language in the threads here. Can someone explain what extensions I should and should not have to just get quotes (and historical quotes if possible)? I previously used the Quote Loader for MD 2017 but I seem to remember that some quote loader version was incompatible with MD 2019. So did my Quote loader from MD 2017 carry over to 2019 requiring me to delete it and get the new quote loader for 2019? Furthermore, to just get quotes, do I need all these Quote extensions (see screen shot)? If there is already other discussions on this, please refer me to it. Thanx.

4. 94 Posted by dwg on 17 Feb, 2019 11:48 PM

I'm a fellow user.

You have 4 extensions that relate to Quotes.

The first 2 are:

Rhumba
    Quote Loader

These are for Quote Loader (QL) and the version you have is for Moneydance 2017, If you wish to continue using Quote Loader you need to upgrade.

The two extensions:

Quotes and Exchange Rates
    Download Quotes and Exchange Rates now

are part of Moneydance's Quotes and Exchange rate Extension (Q & ER)

You should not have both sets of extensions active at the one time. QL will only capture current prices, the Q & ER extension can download historical prices.

5. 95 Posted by shiner03 on 17 Feb, 2019 11:55 PM

Thanks. I do have MD 2019.1 so which extensions should I delete? All I need are US quotes (and historical quotes, if possible). I don't need any exchange rates.

6. 96 Posted by dwg on 18 Feb, 2019 12:04 AM

You have to remove the version of QL you have in any case it is not compatible with MD2019.

If you want historical quotes then start with trying out the Q & ER extension using IEX as the source and see how you go.

Most of the time it is a matter of trying the extensions and sources they have and seeing which works the best for you. It may come down to the source or the extension capabilities as to what you decide.

7. 97 Posted by shiner03 on 18 Feb, 2019 12:26 AM

Sorry to be so basic because I'm still new to MD, but how do I select a source. I don't see it anywhere (screenshot)

8. 98 Posted by dwg on 18 Feb, 2019 03:11 AM

Click the up and down arrows next the the security price box and it should give you the choice of AlphaVantage or IEX. This box is where you are selecting the quote source.

IF IEX is not a choice it is likely you have an old version of the Extension and need to upgrade,.

9. 99 Posted by ninja6o4 on 18 Feb, 2019 09:37 PM

This is a bit of a longshot but I figure the answer is here, if anywhere.
    Is there a way for QL (or other extension) to pull Canadian mutual funds quotes that aren't listed on FT or Yahoo?
    I am able to see them on ycharts.com, like TDB900.
    See example here: https://ycharts.com/search/#/?searchType=search_mutual_funds&queryInput=tdb&pageNum=1

10. 100 Posted by dwg on 18 Feb, 2019 09:51 PM

I'm a fellow user.

With the Quote Loader Extension (and indeed Moneydance's own Quotes and Exchange Rate Extension) if the sources used do not have the quotes you are after then either manual entry or downloading and importing the data (there are tools available for this) are the only options assuming you have some access to the prices yourself.

If you know of a source that readily provides downloadable price data then I am sure the creators of the Extensions would be pleased to hear of it.

11. 101 Posted by derekkent23 on 18 Feb, 2019 10:26 PM

Hi ninja6o4

The Quote Loader does appear to support your example Canadian mutual fund.
    That is if it is TD Canadian Index – e see attached.

Let me know if I have guessed correctly.

Hope this helps.

12. 102 Posted by cjbithos on 19 Feb, 2019 06:23 PM

I am a new user

I downloaded and got Rhumba, Quote Loader installed and they work very well.
    The install was a little different than your directions but I was able to get it done.
    Thank you for supplying these.

13. 103 Posted by derekkent23 on 19 Feb, 2019 07:33 PM

Hi cjbithos

Glad Quote Loader is working for you.

It could help others if you could explain the "little different than your directions" you encountered. Confirm you followed PDF v6.3 and used the Quote Loader Installer v3.
    It could also help to know your computer operating system.

Thanks for your time.

14. 104 Posted by cjbithos on 19 Feb, 2019 09:44 PM

I am a new user
    window 10 on a dell laptop
    In typing this I see what I did different I did not use Quote Loader Installer "qlinstaller.mxt"

derekkent here is the steps I did
     I used the link in post 54 to the PDF v6.3
    I read the file and made a export backup file
    On page 3 of the PDF I clicked on "For 2019 click here"
    That took me to the download site and I clicked on "QL-2019-release-20190202.zip" thinking it was the newest one. that opened choice of open or save I saved to desktop.
    So that gave me a folder on my desktop "QL-2019-release-20190202.zip". I doubled clicked on the folder and it opened showing me 3 files.
    I opened MD and dragged and dropped the securityquoteload.mxt to MD side bar
    That installed the Quote Loader but it did not work
    So I dragged and dropped the rhumba.mxt to MD side bar
    That installed the Rhumba
    I clicked on extensions and clicked on Rhumba that opened a rhumba 1035 window and I dragged and dropped hleOfxQuotes.jar into the window.

Restarted MD and the Quote loader works.

In typing this I see what I did different I did not use Quote Loader Installer "qlinstaller.mxt"

QL works for me but if I need to remove and reinstall using qlinstaller.mxt
    please let me know

15. 105 Posted by derekkent23 on 19 Feb, 2019 10:02 PM

Hi cjbithos

Before the resent introduction of the Quote Loader installer the process you followed was the way to install Quote Loader. So, no you did nothing wrong and you don’t need to take any corrective action. The process you followed was outlined in PDF v6.2 post 53 at http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/investments/4039-quote-loa...

Thanks for taking the time to explain and I hope the Quote Loader continues to serve your needs.

Any problems just post.

Have Fun

16. 106 Posted by derekkent23 on 20 Feb, 2019 09:20 AM

Third-party Quote Loader System 2019 ONLY.

Update.
    Update PDF to V6.4 to add the statement “. Do Not allow your browser to open this zip file or open the zip file once downloaded. Quote Loader installer is designed to imports the zip file.” See page 3 of PDF.
    No other changes with this release.

WARNING use the correct zip release for the version of moneydance you are running or run the risk of corrupting your data set. Don’t use 2017 zip release for 2019 or vice versa.

Upgrading Moneydance 2017 to 2019. Upgrade the Quote Loader using the installer as instructed on page 3 of the PDF, before running the Quote Loader.

For 2017 see this thread http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/investments/3771-third-par...

qlinstaller.mxt ------ v3.
    QL-2019-release-20190202.zip containing:
    securityquoteload.mxt ---------2019 build 3008
    rhumba.mxt ----------------------2019 build 1056
    hleOfxQuotes.jar ----------------2019 build 259

PDF “Quote Loader System by Mike Bray and hleofxquotes” updated to V6.4. Tutorial Video remains V6.0. PDF “Moneydance Quote Loader System Handling Cryptocurrencies and Market Indices” remains at V2.0

Users must uninstall the Quotes and Rates Updater extension to Prevent Conflicts!!

A collaboration between the two software developers Mike Bray and Hleofxquotes.
    PDF’s and Video by Derek Kent.

The system provides an end to end solution, obtaining quotes from a choice of two sources and entering them into the relevant History window, all from a single window within Moneydance. The system can obtain Security prices, Exchange Rates, Market indices, Cryptocurrency Rates and prices for Cryptocurrency Investments. The system provides quotes from many stock exchanges, US, Canada, UK, Europe and Australia to name but a few. The process of obtaining quotes from the selected source is fast and error free.

Download the attached PDF, use the links to download the Quote Loader system elements and follow the instructions on how to use.

The PDF also contains a link to a tutorial on YouTube.

The link provides access to second PDF that covers the creation and importing of Cryptocurrencies and Market Indices into Moneydance.

Please keep this thread to this subject on how to use Quote Loader system.
    Please try this approach and if you find it useful please take the time to post comments and outline any problems you may find.
    Please provide feedback on how well UK, Mainland Europe, USA, Canadian, Australian and other stocks and funds are covered.

Acknowledgement to Kevin N and dwg for their support during development.

To receive email notification to updates on this thread, click the SUBSCRIBE button in the box at the top right of the forum page.

Hope this helps.

ALWAYS CHECK TO SEE IF THERE IS A NEW PDF IN A LATER POST!

17. 107 Posted by ninja6o4 on 21 Feb, 2019 06:36 PM

@derekkent23 That totally worked. I didn't know the funds were recoded to something else.

One other q: what's the difference between Yahoo and Yahoo HD? Does it matter which one I select to use in QL? I monitor only US and CAN stocks/funds.

18. 108 Posted by derekkent23 on 21 Feb, 2019 06:49 PM

Hi ninja6o4

Really glad Quote Loader is working for you.

When the market is open Yahoo returns a delayed current price and then when the market closes, the closing price. Yahoo HD always returns the last closing price. We have found that on a very small number of funds Yahoo is returning old prices, so if you find this happening check out Yahoo HD.

Hope this helps.

19. 109 Posted by ninja6o4 on 21 Feb, 2019 10:42 PM

@derekkent23 Thanks for the info. I don't need open market prices so I will set it to Yahoo HD.
    Keep up the good work on this loader! It works a treat.

20. 110 Posted by becker6146 on 22 Feb, 2019 10:54 PM

I'm a new user to MD 2019. I just wanted to express my gratitude for Quote Loader. I love it! It's a very simple and intuitive app to run. Much faster then than the alternative that I was using with MD.

Jim

21. 111 Posted by derekkent23 on 23 Feb, 2019 08:04 AM

Jim, thanks for taking the time to post. Its good to hear from a happy Quote Loader user. It makes the effort of the team worthwhile.

22. 112 Posted by ninja6o4 on 25 Feb, 2019 12:00 AM

So is there a way to get historical data on stocks we're following and save it into MD? Or is it only possible to retrieve last closing price?
    Do I have to leave MD open and let QL run daily in the background automatically to save a daily history?

23. 113 Posted by derekkent23 on 25 Feb, 2019 09:18 AM

Hi ninja6o4

Quote Loader is designed to return current delayed or closing prices dependant on the source. It does not in one go return a price history. To do that you need to run Quote Loader during or after each trading day to build a history.

There are a number of methods to obtain and import historical data. These include the following. Moneydance allows you to import historical prices into a given security history window provided that historical data is in a CSV file format. Mike Bray has developed an extension called “Price History Loader” that can load multiply security history prices in one go from a CSV file. To use either method you need a source to provide a CSV file. A number of sources on their web sites offer free or paid downloads. Yahoo offer a free download of historical prices per security. Import these one at a time or combine them to use Mike extension.

Going forward to build a history using Quote Loader you can.
    Run Quote Loader manually during or after each trading day.
    Set up Quote Loaders automatic update feature to run in the back ground ensuring Moneydance is running at the time for the automatic update.

Hope this helps.

24. 114 Posted by derekkent23 on 03 Mar, 2019 12:45 PM

Third-party Quote Loader System 2019 ONLY.

Update.

Introduce a new extension, the “MD Extension Installer”.
    The installation of this Installer is a one-time operation.
    Once install this Extension can be used to install and update a number of extensions simply by clicking on an Install or Update button. The attached PDF will focus on the use of the extension relating to the Quote Loader. In the Quote Loader, existing users will need to set up Automatic Update again, see PDF page 8, due to changes to where this setup data is stored.

WARNING only install this extension on Moneydance 2019. Don’t use it on Moneydance 2017 or you could run the risk of corrupting your data set.

Upgrading Moneydance 2017 to 2019. Upgrade the Quote Loader using the installer as instructed on page 3 of the PDF, before running the Quote Loader.

For 2017 see this thread http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/investments/3771-third-par...

extinstaller.mxt ------ v1.
    The MD Extension Installer will download and install the following Quote Loader elements.
    securityquoteload.mxt ---------2019 build 3009
    rhumba.mxt ----------------------2019 build 1057
    hleOfxQuotes.jar ----------------2019 build 259

PDF “Quote Loader System by Mike Bray and hleofxquotes” updated to V7.0. Tutorial Video updated to V7.0. PDF “Moneydance Quote Loader System Handling Cryptocurrencies and Market Indices” remains at V2.0

Users must uninstall the Quotes and Rates Updater extension to Prevent Conflicts!!

A collaboration between the two software developers Mike Bray and Hleofxquotes.
    PDF’s and Video by Derek Kent.

The system provides an end to end solution, obtaining quotes from a choice of two sources and entering them into the relevant History window, all from a single window within Moneydance. The system can obtain Security prices, Exchange Rates, Market indices, Cryptocurrency Rates and prices for Cryptocurrency Investments. The system provides quotes from many stock exchanges, US, Canada, UK, Europe and Australia to name but a few. The process of obtaining quotes from the selected source is fast and error free.

Download the attached PDF, use the links to download the Quote Loader system elements and follow the instructions on how to use.

The PDF also contains a link to a tutorial on YouTube.

The link provides access to second PDF that covers the creation and importing of Cryptocurrencies and Market Indices into Moneydance.

Please keep this thread to this subject on how to use Quote Loader system.
    Please try this approach and if you find it useful please take the time to post comments and outline any problems you may find.
    Please provide feedback on how well UK, Mainland Europe, USA, Canadian, Australian and other stocks and funds are covered.

Acknowledgement to Kevin N and dwg for their support during development.

To receive email notification to updates on this thread, click the SUBSCRIBE button in the box at the top right of the forum page.

Hope this helps.

ALWAYS CHECK TO SEE IF THERE IS A NEW PDF IN A LATER POST!

25. 115 Posted by Mark Hackney on 03 Mar, 2019 05:27 PM

Derek - this is great, but for my own clarity, if we've previously installed QL installer extension, can that extension be removed as this new extension will handle what that one was doing, along with all the other Mike Bray extensions?

26. 116 Posted by derekkent23 on 03 Mar, 2019 06:22 PM

Yes simple remove QL installer under Manage extensions.

Have Fun

27. 117 Posted by robert.l.spauld... on 04 Mar, 2019 09:27 PM

Awesome Installer, makes keeping up much easier. Thanks

28. 118 Posted by etj92 on 11 Mar, 2019 07:09 PM

Mike and team,
    Thank you so much for your work in producing this excellent Loader. I've just gone through the drama of a computer crash - new computer- get MD 2019 etc and having used your loader in MD 2017 I was so relieved to find you'd got this sorted. Once again, many thanks.

29. 119 Posted by derekkent23 on 11 Mar, 2019 08:25 PM

Hi etj92

Thanks for taking the time to post your comments.
    It makes all the effort the team has put in on the Quote Loader worthwhile to hear that users find it a valuable tool.
    As they say, if you like it, say so!

Have Fun

30. 120 Posted by peo on 12 Mar, 2019 12:04 PM

Great Installer!
    I just started using it and it's a big improvement over the MD default one.
    Thank you for the fantastic work!

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac