Quote Loader Security/Currency price loader for Moneydance 2019

Mike Bray

30 Dec, 2018 10:22 AM

The Infinite Kind has recently released a new version of Moneydance for testing/preview. It is called Moneydance 2019 and can be found at https://infinitekind.com/preview. It has a number of changes in particular in the storing of Security Prices. In addition the base version of Java used to run Moneydance has been updated from Java 1.8 to Java 11.

With this in mind I have released a new version of the Quote Loader extension. It can be found at https://bitbucket.org/mikerb/moneydance-2019/downloads/.

IMPORTANT Do not run the old versions of Quote Loader with Moneydance 2019. Do not run the new versions with Moneydance 2017.

You can find information about Quote Loader for Moneydance 2017 in this thread http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/investments/3771-third-par...

Showing page 5 out of 8. View the first page

1. 121 Posted by PARAS SHAH on 24 Mar, 2019 09:12 PM

Derekkent23,

This was a great installer. thank you for the youtube guide.

PaS

2. 122 Posted by yardy on 28 Mar, 2019 01:52 PM

Hi, I updated to 2019.2 last weekend and then Quote Loader yesterday. The installation of QL was VERY easy - thanks to Mike and others - thank you.

I do have a question. I set the currencies to update daily while leaving securities set to update manually. However I find that the currencies are not updating. I attach a screen shot of the settings. What am I doing wrong ? Thanks !! Ray

3. 123 Posted by Paras Shah on 28 Mar, 2019 02:27 PM

Yardy,

I am a happy user of the Quote loader as I only recently learnt how to. Am
    not sure if I am qualified to answer this, but here are things you could try

1. Ensure you tick the line items on the left corner
    2. Then save the parameters
    3. This will ensure that at 9.00 am the currencies will auto update and
    translate to the money dance database
    4. I notice you have set the run time @ 9.00 but you have not even run it
    once (00/00/00) showing
    5. Have you tried a manual "Get prices" , then select the line items , and
    "then update selected"

Let me know if that worked for you.

Pas

4. 124 Posted by Mike Bray on 28 Mar, 2019 02:30 PM

Pas is correct

If you are sure that the currencies have the source set and the parameters are saved. Try changing the Start Time to At Start Up and restart MD.

Also, did you restart MD after setting the run time? The way it works is that MD opens the extension when it starts up. This is when QL decides if something needs running.
    Regards
    Mike

5. 125 Posted by yardy on 28 Mar, 2019 04:30 PM

Mike and Pas, Thanks - it was the lack of a re-start that I had not realized was required. All working OK now. Thanks again.

Ray

6. 126 Posted by Paras Shah on 28 Mar, 2019 05:28 PM

Ray,

You are welcome. Glad to know it works well. Paras

7. 127 Posted by wendisf on 20 Apr, 2019 11:26 PM

MD 2019.1; QL 3009; RH 1057; hl 259; Win10Pro64. I installed in accordance with the pdf. I have a dozen equities, and set them all to their proper exchanges. (NYSE and NASDAQ). Only one updates, and the others show red. I tried with all three source options. I ran the Rhumba test with a few of the symbols that failed, and all returned current prices. So... now what?

8. 128 Posted by derekkent23 on 21 Apr, 2019 07:10 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi wendisf.

The builds you have installed look correct.
    Can you list your equities ticker symbols, plus there associated names. No need to include the exchange you have selected.
    example
    AAPL Apple Inc
    ADM Archer Daniel Midland

I will then test to confirm your securities are supported and what you need to do.

Hope this helps

9. 129 Posted by wendisf on 23 Apr, 2019 12:11 AM

Here's a screeen-shot right after I tried to update the quotes. VXUS always succeeds, and all the rest always fail.

10. 130 Posted by -Kevin N. on 23 Apr, 2019 01:27 AM

Hi wendisf,

Try removing the caret ( ^ ) from the beginning of the ticker symbols.

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

11. 131 Posted by wendisf on 23 Apr, 2019 01:48 AM

That fixed it. Thank you. (Of course, now I'm curious as to why the symbol ^VXUS worked!)

12. 132 Posted by -Kevin N. on 23 Apr, 2019 01:51 AM

Hi wendisf,

One of the many mysteries in the world of 1's and 0's. :)

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

13. 133 Posted by derekkent23 on 23 Apr, 2019 06:50 AM

Hi wendisf

Glad Kevin was able to help you with the need to remove “^”.
    They were probably added when you imported your QIF file from another program?

^VXUS is a valid symbol for VANGUARD STAR FUND, hence why a price was returned.

Have Fun

14. 134 Posted by derekkent23 on 23 Apr, 2019 08:06 AM

Hi wendisf

I had previously bought to the attention of Sean, the software developer, the issue of an QIF import from another program adding a "^" to the start of a Ticker Symbol. Its now been fixed in build 1869 see https://infinitekind.com/preview

Have Fun

15. 135 Posted by royce on 25 Apr, 2019 04:25 AM

Running 2019.2 (1868) on Win 10 (updated from 1855 to 1868 on 19th April)

I have been running Quoteloader successfully for several months now, and love it. I successfully ran QuoteLoader on 24 April. However, today (25th April), when I opened MD, I got the following error message "Extension Rhumba not present. Please install and rerun the Quote Loader."

I then opened the Quoteloader Installer 3 V2019.2 from the Extension menu, but got the same error message as above, with the following information:
    "the following QuoteLoader files have been found on your system - rhumba.mxt - securityquoteload.mxt - rhumba/hleOfxQuotes.jar - Rhumba not present"

I then opened the Mike Bray Extension Installer 1 V2019.2, but got the error message "Extension Rhumba not present. Please install and rerun the QuoteLoader"
    - Current Build 3009/NA - Latest Build 3009/1057/259 When I hit the Install button, I got the following error message "Error installing file securityquoteload.mxt. Error installling extension null"

I then hit the Remove button (thinking I should try to remove and reinstall), but got the following error message "Error removing extension security quoteload.mxt.null"

I then tried re downloading the "extinstaller.mxt" from the Mike Bray downloads web page. I dragged and dropped this download into the MD sidebar, but after hitting the confirm button to install the extension, I got the original error message "Extension Rhumba not present. Please install and rerun the Quote Loader"

Not sure what to do next. Any help you can give me would be appreciated
    Royce

16. 136 Posted by derekkent23 on 25 Apr, 2019 07:26 AM

Hi Royce.

Strange!
    Lets, install Rhumba manually and see if that works.
    Go to Mike site using the link on page 3 of the PFD. Where you downloaded “extinstaller.mxt”.
    Download QL-2019-release-20190302.zip
    Unzip this file.
    One of the files in the folder is rhumba.mxt
    Install rhumba.mxt by dragging and dropping it into the Moneydance’s sidebar
    Let us know what happens.

Hope this helps

17. 137 Posted by royce on 25 Apr, 2019 08:16 AM

Thanks Derek for your quick reply.

I did exactly what you suggested, but got the following \error message;
    gogle.gsom. Json Syntax Exceptions: java. lang. Illegal State Exception: Expected BEGIN OBJECT but was STRING at line 1 column 1 path $

This is more than strange!!!
    Royce

18. 138 Posted by Mike Bray on 25 Apr, 2019 08:45 AM

Hi Royce, please could you post the whole error log.
    Thanks
    Mike

19. 139 Posted by royce on 25 Apr, 2019 08:59 AM

Mike - please tell me the way to post the error log.....thanks.....,Royce

20. 140 Posted by derekkent23 on 25 Apr, 2019 09:08 AM

Hi royce

Close Moneydance and reopen it. Try to start Quote Loader.

Under HELP – CONSOLE WINDOW click SAVE to save a text file.
    In the thread https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/investments/4039-quo...
    Use the BROWSE button to add the text file to the post

Hope this helps

21. 141 Posted by royce on 25 Apr, 2019 09:17 AM

Thanks Derek

Quote Loader would not start as previously. Here is the error log

Regards
    Royce

22. 142 Posted by Mike Bray on 25 Apr, 2019 09:50 AM

Thanks Royce, can you try this please:

Close Moneydance
    Open Windows Explorer
    Navigate to the folder c:\users{username}\.moneydance\fmodules\.rhumba

You should see some files:

hleOfxQuotes.jar
    hleofxquotes-log4.properties
    pseudocurrency.dict
    rhumbaConfiguration.json
    stockexchanges.dict

Please delete the two files:
    hleofxquotes-log4.properties
    rhumbaConfiguration.json

Open Moneydance and click on Extensions and select Rhumba. You should get a small screen. Quote Loader should run OK.

Thanks
    Mike

23. 143 Posted by royce on 25 Apr, 2019 06:33 PM

Thanks Mike,

I followed your instructions. Re your last paragraph, Rhumba was not listed when I clicked on the Extensions menu.

So I opened the Mike Bray Extension Installer 1, and navigated to Quote Loader and hit the Update button. This loaded Rhumba and now all is working again. Hoorah.

Thanks for your help

As a matter of interest, did I do something wrong to cause this issue?

Royce

24. 144 Posted by hleofxquotes on 25 Apr, 2019 07:51 PM

As a matter of interest, did I do something wrong to cause this issue?

Probably not something you've done.

From what I've seen so far. The configuration file was malformed. This could be due to MD was crashing at the point where rhumba was trying to saved the configuration OR if the content on disk was somehow damaged.

I will add some code to guard against this for the next rev.

25. 145 Posted by derekkent23 on 27 Apr, 2019 09:02 AM

Third-party Quote Loader System 2019 ONLY.

Update. Add auto correction to rhumba configuration file in the event of corruption. Rhumba build 1058.
    Existing users click EXTENSIONS – MD EXTENSION INSTALLER and in Quote Loader section “Update”

WARNING only install this extension on Moneydance 2019. Don’t use it on Moneydance 2017 or you could run the risk of corrupting your data set. Upgrading Moneydance 2017 to 2019. Upgrade the Quote Loader using the installer as instructed on page 3 of the PDF, before running the Quote Loader.

For 2017 see this thread http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/investments/3771-third-par...

extinstaller.mxt ------ v1.
    The MD Extension Installer will download and install the following Quote Loader elements.
    securityquoteload.mxt ---------2019 build 3009
    rhumba.mxt ----------------------2019 build 1058
    hleOfxQuotes.jar ----------------2019 build 259

PDF “Quote Loader System by Mike Bray and hleofxquotes” remains V7.0. Tutorial Video remains V7.0. PDF “Moneydance Quote Loader System Handling Cryptocurrencies and Market Indices” remains at V2.0

Users must uninstall the Quotes and Rates Updater extension to Prevent Conflicts!!

A collaboration between the two software developers Mike Bray and Hleofxquotes.
    PDF’s and Video by Derek Kent.

The system provides an end to end solution, obtaining quotes from a choice of two sources and entering them into the relevant History window, all from a single window within Moneydance. The system can obtain Security prices, Exchange Rates, Market indices, Cryptocurrency Rates and prices for Cryptocurrency Investments. The system provides quotes from many stock exchanges, US, Canada, UK, Europe and Australia to name but a few. The process of obtaining quotes from the selected source is fast and error free.

Download the attached PDF, use the links to download the Quote Loader system elements and follow the instructions on how to use.

The PDF also contains a link to a tutorial on YouTube.

The link provides access to second PDF that covers the creation and importing of Cryptocurrencies and Market Indices into Moneydance.

Please keep this thread to this subject on how to use Quote Loader system.
    Please try this approach and if you find it useful please take the time to post comments and outline any problems you may find.
    Please provide feedback on how well UK, Mainland Europe, USA, Canadian, Australian and other stocks and funds are covered.

Acknowledgement to Kevin N and dwg for their support during development.

To receive email notification to updates on this thread, click the SUBSCRIBE button in the box at the top right of the forum page.

Hope this helps.

ALWAYS CHECK TO SEE IF THERE IS A NEW PDF IN A LATER POST!

26. 146 Posted by simon on 10 May, 2019 03:02 PM

Ho there...acquired the new moneydance 2019.2 recently as I had migrated away. Frankly the reports are better than my current program, HOWEVER I have noticed that the new QUOTE LOADER EXTENSION which facilitates scraping prices off FT ONLY WORKS FOR EQUITIES, NOT FUNDS. the look-up page in FT is for "securities" in genera whereas I think the extension goes straight to a sub category of equities.

27. 147 Posted by derekkent23 on 10 May, 2019 03:22 PM

Hi simmon

I have 34 securities, 33 of which are supported by Quote Loader all of them funds.
    Can you provide ticker symbols plus the name of a number of funds you are having problems with and I will take a look?

28. 148 Posted by STO Yahoo on 10 May, 2019 04:31 PM

Thanks for the offer Derek..I must be doing something wrong. Screens below

Taking just one, despite being set EURO, quotes appear as $

The real value is around €267, but 0.133 is recorded.

Thanks in advance

29. 149 Posted by derekkent23 on 10 May, 2019 04:42 PM

Hi STO Yahoo

What is your base currency?

30. 150 Posted by derekkent23 on 10 May, 2019 05:28 PM

I am not support staff just a user.
    Error in this post see post 151

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac