Quote Loader Security/Currency price loader for Moneydance 2019

Mike Bray

30 Dec, 2018 10:22 AM

The Infinite Kind has recently released a new version of Moneydance for testing/preview. It is called Moneydance 2019 and can be found at https://infinitekind.com/preview. It has a number of changes in particular in the storing of Security Prices. In addition the base version of Java used to run Moneydance has been updated from Java 1.8 to Java 11.

With this in mind I have released a new version of the Quote Loader extension. It can be found at https://bitbucket.org/mikerb/moneydance-2019/downloads/.

IMPORTANT Do not run the old versions of Quote Loader with Moneydance 2019. Do not run the new versions with Moneydance 2017.

You can find information about Quote Loader for Moneydance 2017 in this thread http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/investments/3771-third-par...

Showing page 7 out of 9. View the first page

1. 181 Posted by Elliot on 24 Jun, 2019 10:00 PM

Hi, using Quote Loader - and some security prices are coming out with the wrong multiple. e.g. Ticket: JAM LN is pulling in prices as £4.60 when it should be £460 a share. Is there a way to correct this? It's getting the data from FT

2. 182 Posted by derekkent23 on 25 Jun, 2019 06:46 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Elliot

As far as I can see JAM is the ticker symbol for JPMorgan American Investment Trust.
    I checked FT, Morningstar, London stock exchange and Share Magazine they all quote a price of around 460GBX. That is 460 pence. As Moneydance stores prices in Pounds (GBP), Quote Loader converts pence, the Traded Currency in GBX, into Pounds, the New Price in GBP, before storing to Moneydance.
    So the price obtained and store is correct.

If JAM is not the ticker for JPMorgan American Investment Trust let me know.

Hope this helps.

3. 183 Posted by derekkent23 on 25 Jun, 2019 08:37 AM

Hi Red, Ral

Looks like FT is up to date again, at least for me.

Have Fun.

4. 184 Posted by red on 25 Jun, 2019 06:26 PM

Yes - OK here. Thanks....

5. 185 Posted by red on 17 Jul, 2019 07:38 PM

Not a problem - just an observation..

When does Quote Loader actually do the update? I ask because when I first open MD, at the foot of the screen I see the prices updating. However the Total Net Worth figure at the top of the screen (next to the Search field) doesn't change.

Is Quote Loader actually VERY fast and does the update before the main MD window appears (so the latest values are included in the total Net Worth) or does the Net worth perhaps not update until next time I log in (I haven't actually noted and checked this)?

6. 186 Posted by dwg on 17 Jul, 2019 09:07 PM

I'm a fellow user.

Moneydance is not dynamic. In other words if you make a change in the data Moneydance does not go and recalculate and re-display everything, Screens only get updated when and if Moneydance does a reread of the data and a redraw of the screen.

7. 187 Posted by derekkent23 on 17 Jul, 2019 09:14 PM

Hi Red

At the point that the status message (bottom of screen) reads “Quote Loader Update Complete” the Net Worth value in the body of the summary page will update. However, the net worth value following the net worth graph will not. It seems only to update after a Moneydance restart or if you turn the graph off and on under VIEW or the value is affected by some other change, e.g. a new transaction in a bank account. This is not a Quote Loader issue, changing a security price manually gives the same result.

Hope this helps.

8. 188 Posted by Tom Deacon on 17 Jul, 2019 09:17 PM

On 17 Jul 2019, at 22:15, derekkent23 <[email blocked]<mailto:[email blocked]>> wrote:

9. 189 Posted by derekkent23 on 17 Jul, 2019 09:22 PM

Hi Tom

There is no text in your post?
    perhaps post in the thread at https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/investments/4039-quo...

10. 190 Posted by red on 18 Jul, 2019 02:06 PM

Ok - thanks Derek. As I say, I was just curious. My net worth doesn't vary THAT much, nor am I so obsessive that I need to know EXACTLY what I am worth ;)

11. 191 Posted by nickward999 on 22 Jul, 2019 10:04 PM

Mike / Derek

The attached document shows the Canadian Manulife Mutual funds that are not returned by the Quote Loader extension, similar to the results I was getting with Alphavantage service. I can manually retrieve the prices daily from https://www.morningstar.ca/ but have not found a service that can retrieve the prices automatically.

BTW the extension works well and is intuitive.

12. 192 Posted by derekkent23 on 23 Jul, 2019 07:57 AM

Sorry it does not look like the securities you listed are supported by Quote Loader.
    The best I can suggest is to run Quote Loader and click on each New Price box that is in red and edit the 0.0 value with the price you find from Morningstar, also changing the Trade date. At least in this way all your security prices are entered into the relevant security price history windows from one place.

Hope this helps.

13. 193 Posted by ageisse on 30 Jul, 2019 09:03 PM

@derekkent23 . FYI, on a particular fund DFUSX I was getting prices just fine from Yahoo but lately it has an error. I changed the source to FT and it works fine. HOwever you should know if I go to Yahoo, it seems to look it up just fine.

14. 194 Posted by derekkent23 on 30 Jul, 2019 09:30 PM

Hi ageisse

Was there a typo in “However you should know if I go to Yahoo, it seems to look it up just fine.”

Strange, at time of testing all three sources returned the same value 23.32 as of 30/07/2019 perhaps a temporary problem at yahoo.
    Hope this helps.

15. 195 Posted by ageisse on 30 Jul, 2019 09:50 PM

Derek
    Sorry I wasn't clear. In Quote loader the DFSUX symbol stopped working for some reason. I got a price error. I went to the Yahoo website and got the quote just fine. So I went back and tried Yahoo HD and the same "price" error. Then I tired FT as the source and it worked just fine. HOpe that helps. This is a great extension! And so far seems much more reliable than the old extension from MD . Great job!

16. 196 Posted by derekkent23 on 30 Jul, 2019 10:17 PM

Hi ageisse

Can you confirm all three sources are now working for you, as they are for me?
    Glad you like Quote Loader,

Hope this helps.

17. 197 Posted by ageisse on 30 Jul, 2019 11:10 PM

Derek
    I can confirm it is now working on Yahoo and FT. Yahoo HD gets an error (red highlight).

Also, is there a way to download just one price? I tried checking just that security on the left and hit get prices but it got prices for all the symbols each time. Probably user error...

18. 198 Posted by derekkent23 on 31 Jul, 2019 06:51 AM

Hi ageisse

Check again this morning Yahoo HD works at time of test for me, see screen shot.
    Check Quote Loader build numbers, see screen shot. Perhaps post a screen shot of what you get.
    The only way to download only one price is to globally set all line quote sources to "Do not load" , right click in source heading, then set the source for the security you want to obtain as required.
    The tick boxes on the left determine which quotes are saved when you click "Save Selected Values".

Hope this helps

19. 199 Posted by ageisse on 01 Aug, 2019 12:57 AM

Derek
    Same issue on Yahoo HD. No "error" but it turns red and no price is loaded. Seems to work fine on Yahoo and FT now. I do notice that in my MD the symbol is lower case if that makes a difference?

20. 200 Posted by derekkent23 on 01 Aug, 2019 06:54 AM

Hi ageisse

Yes, when Yahoo HD is the source the case is the issue, upper case tickers work, lower case do not. This applies to all the tickers I have tested.
    I am sure the developers will take a look.
    For now just change your ticker symbols to upper case.

Thank for reporting the problem.

EDIT. You did not have to wait long, see next post!

21. 201 Posted by derekkent23 on 01 Aug, 2019 08:31 AM

Third-party Quote Loader System 2019 ONLY.

Update. Lower case Ticker Symbols are converted to upper case in Quote Loader so that they are handled correctly when the source is set to Yahoo HD.

Existing users click EXTENSIONS – MD EXTENSION INSTALLER and in Quote Loader section “Update”

WARNING only install this extension on Moneydance 2019. Don’t use it on Moneydance 2017 or you could run the risk of corrupting your data set. Upgrading Moneydance 2017 to 2019. Upgrade the Quote Loader using the installer as instructed on page 3 of the PDF, before running the Quote Loader.

For 2017 see this thread https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/investments/3771-thi...

extinstaller.mxt ------ v1.
    The MD Extension Installer will download and install the following Quote Loader elements.
    securityquoteload.mxt ---------2019 build 3015
    rhumba.mxt ----------------------2019 build 1058
    hleOfxQuotes.jar ----------------2019 build 259

PDF “Quote Loader System by Mike Bray and hleofxquotes” updated to V7.01. Tutorial Video Full version remains V7.0. Short version added V7.01.
    PDF “Moneydance Quote Loader System Handling Cryptocurrencies and Market Indices” remains at V2.0

Users must uninstall the Quotes and Rates Updater extension to Prevent Conflicts!!

A collaboration between the two software developers Mike Bray and Hleofxquotes.
    PDF’s and Video by Derek Kent.

The system provides an end to end solution, obtaining quotes from a choice of two sources and entering them into the relevant History window, all from a single window within Moneydance. The system can obtain Security prices, Exchange Rates, Market indices, Cryptocurrency Rates and prices for Cryptocurrency Investments. The system provides quotes from many stock exchanges, US, Canada, UK, Europe and Australia to name but a few. The process of obtaining quotes from the selected source is fast and error free.

Download the attached PDF, use the links to download the MB Extension Installer (extinstaller.mxt) and follow the instructions on how to use.

The PDF also contains links to tutorials on YouTube.

The link provides access to second PDF that covers the creation and importing of Cryptocurrencies and Market Indices into Moneydance.

Please keep this thread to this subject on how to use Quote Loader system.
    Please try this approach and if you find it useful please take the time to post comments and outline any problems you may find.
    Please provide feedback on how well UK, Mainland Europe, USA, Canadian, Australian and other stocks and funds are covered.
    Acknowledgement to Kevin N and dwg for their support during development.

To receive email notification to updates on this thread, click the SUBSCRIBE button in the box at the top right of the forum page.

Hope this helps.

ALWAYS CHECK TO SEE IF THERE IS A NEW PDF IN A LATER POST!

22. 202 Posted by Andy Geisse on 01 Aug, 2019 05:30 PM

Got it and thanks.

23. 203 Posted by -Kevin N. on 01 Aug, 2019 11:59 PM

Hi Mike / Derek,

QL 3015
    rumba 1058
    hle 258
    MD 2019.4 (1886)
    Windows 10 Pro

Were the colors displayed in the 'New Price' column removed?

Clicking 'Get Prices' would normally invoke yellow shading, then either green or red depending on the success or failure of the download.

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

24. 204 Posted by Mike Bray on 02 Aug, 2019 05:05 AM

Sorry about that, build 3016 just uploaded, colours are back.
    Mike

25. 205 Posted by derekkent23 on 02 Aug, 2019 06:16 AM

Third-party Quote Loader System 2019 ONLY.

Update. Colours in NEW PRICE field reinstated, accidentally removed in Quote Loader build 3015.

Existing users click EXTENSIONS – MD EXTENSION INSTALLER and in Quote Loader section “Update”.

WARNING only install this extension on Moneydance 2019. Don’t use it on Moneydance 2017 or you could run the risk of corrupting your data set. Upgrading Moneydance 2017 to 2019. Upgrade the Quote Loader using the installer as instructed on page 3 of the PDF, before running the Quote Loader.

For 2017 see this thread https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/investments/3771-thi...

extinstaller.mxt ------ v1.
    The MD Extension Installer will download and install the following Quote Loader elements.
    securityquoteload.mxt ---------2019 build 3016
    rhumba.mxt ----------------------2019 build 1058
    hleOfxQuotes.jar ----------------2019 build 259

PDF “Quote Loader System by Mike Bray and hleofxquotes” remains to V7.01. Tutorial Video Full version remains V7.0. Short version remains V7.01.
    PDF “Moneydance Quote Loader System Handling Cryptocurrencies and Market Indices” remains at V2.0

Users must uninstall the Quotes and Rates Updater extension to Prevent Conflicts!!

A collaboration between the two software developers Mike Bray and Hleofxquotes.
    PDF’s and Video by Derek Kent.

The system provides an end to end solution, obtaining quotes from a choice of two sources and entering them into the relevant History window, all from a single window within Moneydance. The system can obtain Security prices, Exchange Rates, Market indices, Cryptocurrency Rates and prices for Cryptocurrency Investments. The system provides quotes from many stock exchanges, US, Canada, UK, Europe and Australia to name but a few. The process of obtaining quotes from the selected source is fast and error free.

Download the attached PDF, use the links to download the MB Extension Installer (extinstaller.mxt) and follow the instructions on how to use.

The PDF also contains links to tutorials on YouTube.

The link provides access to second PDF that covers the creation and importing of Cryptocurrencies and Market Indices into Moneydance.

Please keep this thread to this subject on how to use Quote Loader system.
    Please try this approach and if you find it useful please take the time to post comments and outline any problems you may find.
    Please provide feedback on how well UK, Mainland Europe, USA, Canadian, Australian and other stocks and funds are covered.

Acknowledgement to Kevin N and dwg for their support during development.

To receive email notification to updates on this thread, click the SUBSCRIBE button in the box at the top right of the forum page.

Hope this helps.

ALWAYS CHECK TO SEE IF THERE IS A NEW PDF IN A LATER POST!

26. 206 Posted by -Kevin N. on 02 Aug, 2019 12:49 PM

Hi Mike / Derek,

Thanks guys. :)

-Kevin N.

27. 207 Posted by Clan46 on 04 Aug, 2019 01:43 PM

Hi,

I would like to know why Moneydance takes such a relative long time (about 10 seconds) to start up.

When looking at the Consol Window it looks that Rhumba contributes to this by taking a long time to find a file:
    "2019-08-04 15:22:56.799 INFO [main] > init - Name: rhumba, Build: 1058
    2019-08-04 15:22:56.815 INFO [main] RHUMBA - looking for exec jar file in dir=C:\Users\XXX\.moneydance\fmodules\.rhumba
    2019-08-04 15:23:04.736 INFO [main] RHUMBA - found 1 exec jar file(s) ...
    2019-08-04 15:23:04.736 INFO [main] RHUMBA - exec "

Could this be the problem or is there something else causing the slow start after a reboot (Moneydance is quicker to start a second time during the same seesion)?

Clan46

28. 208 Posted by Mike Bray on 05 Aug, 2019 07:06 AM

Hi Clan46

As you said Rhumba is spending time finding the .jar file. The way it does this is to look in folder fmodules/.rhumba as stated, identify .jar files, sorts them into date order and then takes the latest one. Do you have other files in that directory? The only ones Quote Loader requires are:

hleofxquotes.jar (the web interface code)
    helofxquotes-log4j.properties (the settings for logging)
    pseudocurrency.dict ( the settings for non real currencies such as GBX and ZAX)
    rhumbaonfiguration.json (settings for rhumba)
    stockexchanges.dict (the list of exchanges for the exchange column in QL)

All files except hleofxquotes.jar is created for you. This file is installed when you install QL.

Maybe the author of rhumba will have more of an insight.

Mike (QL Author)

29. 209 Posted by Mike Bray on 05 Aug, 2019 11:37 AM

Hi

First, thank you for raising the issue, we are always interested in users' experiences.

I have heard from hleofxquotes who is away at the moment. When hleofxquotes.jar is loaded it has to load all of the code. If you rerun it the code is already loaded hence the faster opening time. Combined with the point I made in the previous comment you might experience a slower loading time on first load.

In this particular instance our view is that 5 seconds is not something that makes QL unusable.

I hope this explains the reason.

Regards
    Mike (QL Author)

30. 210 Posted by Clan46 on 05 Aug, 2019 06:05 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the explanations.
    I only have 4 files in the directory. The ones you mention, minus helofxquotes-log4j.properties.
    I guess it must be the loading time of hleofxquotes.jar that contributes the most to the slow start of Moneydance.
    Anyway, I am very pleased with the way your program works and I have no problem in waiting for the code to start (I am retired). I was just curious to know what happened during start up.

Best regrads,
    Clan46

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

03 Jul, 2020 11:25 AM
03 Jul, 2020 10:28 AM
03 Jul, 2020 09:49 AM