Decimal places in share units

adam

18 Aug, 2019 01:52 PM

Hi,

I am manually entering investment transactions into the register but am being truncated from 3 decimal places 2 places.

I'm running v2019.3 on Windows 10 and have no outstanding updates to apply.

Could you please assist?

Thanks!

1. 1 Posted by -Kevin N. on 18 Aug, 2019 02:17 PM

Hi Adam,

Thank you for providing your version of Moneydance and your computing environment.

The number of decimal places for a security is determined when the security is created and cannot be changed after the fact.

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

2. 2 Posted by adam on 18 Aug, 2019 02:52 PM

Okay, thank you. So what is your recommendation? Delete the security and re-add it? If so, what would that do to the transactions I already have with the security associated to it?

3. 3 Posted by -Kevin N. on 18 Aug, 2019 03:29 PM

Hi Adam,

I'm afraid that there is no elegant way to resolve this issue.

You will not be able to delete the security while it is in use. e.g. the security is used in transactions and / or reminders.

Something that you may be able to do to make the process a little easier is to rename the 'old' security to something that can be easily seen in the register. e.g. rename the security to 'DELETE THIS SECURITY'. Then create a 'new' instance of the security in question (with the desired decimal places) and mimic the 'new' securities transactions in the register with the old security. You can then, one-by-one delete the 'old' security transactions and eventually delete the 'old' security altogether.

Safe computing 101 dictates that you make a copy or make sure to have a working backup of your data file before making any drastic changes (especially deletions).

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac