Issues with investment accounts

dschaller78

25 Jan, 2020 01:19 AM

1) Is there any way to add a column to the Register that provides a running total number of shares of a security?

2) What are the steps needed to transfer shares of a security from one investment account to another? I do not see how to transfer anything but money.

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 25 Jan, 2020 01:27 AM

I'm a fellow user.

This is my take on your questions.

1. There is no way to add a column to the Investment register, what you see is what you get.

2. The only way to do this is to perform a sell transaction in the current account, transfer the funds and perform a buy in the new account.

2. 2 Posted by dschaller78 on 17 Feb, 2020 02:09 PM

Having to sell the shares, transfer the funds, and buy new shares in the new account loses the original purchase date and purchase price (basis). I can't believe that there is not a more accurate way to do this. I have moved assets from one broker to another and the stock was transferred, not sold and repurchased.

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 17 Feb, 2020 07:59 PM

Ideally there should be a move option, various method have been discussed about how to implement such an option but that is as far as it has progressed.

From my research it seems not too many programs have such a function or do it properly when there is something.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac