Current VALUE of Investment not correct

Tim

26 Jan, 2020 08:10 PM

Trying to get out from underneath QUICKEN's subscription mandate ! So I am close to purchasing your product but have stumbled across an issue with my 401K Investment value being updated correctly. I created the Investment & Linked it to VANGUARD. It "pulled" in the correct number of shares for everything. However the current SHARE PRICE and thus my portfolio BALANCE VALUE is waaay off ... I have installed the "Quotes & Exchange Rates" extension .. not sure I needed to for THIS issue. I double-checked the VANGUARD SITE for my account. It is correct. I downloaded the updates via QUICKEN. They also show correctly. Your program however is way off. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 26 Jan, 2020 08:45 PM

I'm a fellow user.

If an Investment account has the right number of shares but is not showing the correct current value, it is usually a sign the the current price is not set correctly, it will often be set to the last buy price.

It is through extensions like the Quotes and Exchange Rates Extension or Quote Loader Extension that you automatically obtain the latest prices and set the most recent to be the current price, or extensions like Security price loader to manually bring in CSV files containing the prices or again an extension like Security price entry if there are prices you want or need to enter manually.

Moneydance takes the approach of using extensions for a number of reasons, firstly it allows users to develop add-ons for specific functions, some of which may have limited application. It also allows users to just have what then need, don't manage investments in Moneydance don't install any of the related extensions.

It does sound like setting the current price correctly could well resolve your problem.

2. 2 Posted by Tim on 27 Jan, 2020 04:37 PM

OK, sorry for my confusion. I am trying to move from QUICKEN to MoneyDance. The thing that is not making sense to me is that my Securities were successfully propagated to MoneyDance -- all quantities are correct when compared to Vanguard's site. However, the DAILY PRICE at CLOSE is NOT correct. e.g., I have a BOND FUND that Vanguard (and QUICKEN) shows as of CLOSE last Friday as being $11.80/share. However MoneyDance is showing $11.05 --- so my Current Balance is wildly different.

Does that make sense? So my question is just WHAT do I need to do to get the Last Daily Closing Price to be correctly set? Is this something I am required to MANUALLY set every day? I was thinking that I just need to click on DOWNLOAD to get current CLOSE prices. Thanks again for anyone who can clarify this.

3. 3 Posted by derekkent23 on 27 Jan, 2020 04:55 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Tim

You can find the price that Moneydance is using for each security under TOOLS – SECURITY double click the subject security. You can edit the current and last dated prices so they are up to date.
    There is an extension called Security Price Entry under extensions - MANAGE EXTENSIONS you can install to make manual updating simpler.
    As for automatic updates that depends on if the sources available support your securities.
    Provide say four ticker symbol examples along with there names and I will test.

Hope this helps.

4. 4 Posted by Tim on 27 Jan, 2020 05:23 PM

I checked TOOLS - SECURITIES, and they all show up properly. I see how to update the price MANUALLY via that method. I was expecting/hoping that MoneyDance would Automatically update current CLOSE price for ALL of my owned securities when I clicked on DOWNLOAD.. I don't really want to have to manually verify daily close prices and have to manually enter them ... that was a cool feature in QUICKEN (that I'm about to lose if I don't re-subscribe). Thanks again.

VDEQX
    VBTLX
    VTIAX
    VTSAX

5. 5 Posted by derekkent23 on 27 Jan, 2020 06:22 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Tim

There are two methods within Moneydance for obtaining security prices automatically.
    The extension “Quote and Exchange Rate Updater found under EXTENSIONS – MANAGE EXTENSIONS. Check you are running the latest build v1024. For exchange rates use the source European Central Bank. Alpha Vantage covers the US as well as some securities outside the US, but is very, very slow. It’s my understanding that the source IEX Trading no longer works.

I tested your 4 example securities and all 4 are supported.

If the Quote and exchange rate updater does not work well for you try the free third-party Quote Loader. Both of the sources in the Quote Loader have good coverage of worldwide securities and both support your securities. see screen shot.

See post 205 at https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/investments/4039-quo...

Download the PDF attached to posts 205 and have a read. To get an overview take a look at the YouTube video by using the link on page 1 of the PDF.

There is about to be an update to Quote Loader to include as a signed extension so it will appear under EXTENSIONS – MANAGE EXTENSIONS
    Let us know how you get on or if you need help just post.

Hope this helps.

6. 6 Posted by Tim on 27 Jan, 2020 09:41 PM

Thank you for that detailed response.. I was able to follow your instructions and get that extension set up & synced with my account. I will need to play with it for a few days to see how & whether things are automatically updated, or if I have to do something, I guess I'm confusing myself with the "DOWNLOAD" button in MD ... I need to work with it a bit more to get comfortable. Thank you!

7. 7 Posted by dwg on 27 Jan, 2020 09:55 PM

I'm a fellow user.

The Download button in Moneydance has no involvement with getting security prices or exchange rates.

With the Quotes & Exchange Rate extension it can be either set to update on software start up or manually instigated.

With Quote Loader extension it can be set to update on Moneydance startup, a predefined time (assuming Moneydance is running) or manually instigated.

8. 8 Posted by Tim on 28 Jan, 2020 03:05 PM

Thanks to both of you (Derek & dwg) for your responses. I was able to install that extension & got the DAILY AUTOMATIC updates working. Based on that, I went ahead and purchased the license and will now plan to work thru migrating from QUICKEN.

9. System closed this discussion on 28 Apr, 2020 03:10 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac