adding initial cash balances to an investment account in three currencies & moving cash to chequing

Cara

10 Feb, 2020 10:09 PM

I have cash in my investments in CAD, USD and Euro. I have read the knowledge base and discussions about setting up investment accounts, but I can't figure out how to add the separate cash balances to an MD investment account. Can someone please help?

I tried just setting up a new security of type 'other' but there is no currency attribute. Used BuyXfr to add a balance to the security and it insists on using 100 as the number of shares. It's a mess, help appreciated

Also when moving money from investments to chequing, do I use type XFR?

Help appreciated

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 11 Feb, 2020 03:21 AM

I'm a fellow user.

I will try to answer some of your questions.

The initial balance of an Investment Account is set through the Account Information screen - Open the Investment Accounts register then select the menu item Account --> Edit Account and it is part way down the resultant screen.

Currency attributes are set at the Account level. All securities in an account therefore will be of that currency, you cannot mix securities with different currencies in one account.

I cannot reproduce your problem of a BuyXfr forcing a number of shares of 100. I can click or double click on that field an enter the number I need.

XFR is used to move money between accounts, the sign used determines which direction the money moves in.

If you are not already aware there are a number of articles in the Knowledge Base regarding Investments:

https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/investment-accounts

2. 2 Posted by Nancy Morton on 11 Feb, 2020 04:20 AM

thank you, this helps. It seems an odd limitation, but I’ll just create a separate investment account for each currency even though my broker shows them all in one account. I got the XFR move between accounts to work properly, thanks again

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac