Currency Translation

alan.hawken

21 Feb, 2020 05:32 PM

I have been using MoneyDance for years and have recently "done something" which I cannot identify and cannot seem to fix. I have an investment account set-up in Canadian dollars. It shows correctly in the Portfolio View, Register, Transactions, Security Detail, etc but when I run a Net Worth report it appears to be multiplying the current market value by a factor - in this case 0.76. That factor is suspiciously close the the US exchange rate on Canadian funds but I cannot find out where it comes from or if it is really using an exchange rate. The Securities Detail screen shows correctly in terms of market value and price and indicates a Canadian dollar price, Currency/Security History shows the currency as Canadian and the historical prices are correct but when I run the Net Worth Report to include Security Balances, the market value is multiplied by this "0.76 factor". Any help would be appreciated.

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 21 Feb, 2020 08:27 PM

I'm a fellow user.

The first thing to check is what you have your base currency set to.

Go to the Menu item Tools --> Currency and check.

2. 2 Posted by alan.hawken on 21 Feb, 2020 09:39 PM

Thanks for the quick response. Confirmed base currency is set to Canadian.

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 21 Feb, 2020 09:42 PM

Hmm.

I would then look at the security price history and what the current price is set to, to make sure those are correct.

4. 4 Posted by alan.hawken on 21 Feb, 2020 09:47 PM

Sorry, but already done that. It had been working fine for a long time and then I think I did something but I don’t know what. Would changing the currency from Canadian to US and back again mess things up? Something with currency converter? I’m not sure what I was looking at or clicked on to change it and cause the problem.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• MoneyDanceProblem21Feb21 1.31 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac