Problem getting stock price quote for investment transactions download from Quicken through .qif

Wayne

17 Oct, 2020 06:50 PM

I try to import investment transactions from my quicken account by exporting .qif file including the security list. On MoneyDance, I added the Quotes and Exchange Rates extension. When importing the .qif file to MD, MD downloaded stock quotes for the stocks of my security list. When import completed, I see in the MD's Security list, there are two entries created, Take Alibaba stock as an example, see attached files, entry1 (BABA1.png and BABA1Detail.png) has quote up to day. But entry2 (BABA2.png and BABA2Detail.png) contains only quotes that recorded in my Quicken account. The imported transactions uses entry 2. How can I update the transactions to use entry1? More important, how can this security association be done right when importing the transactions to MD? Can we avoid the 2nd entry to be created?

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 18 Oct, 2020 08:49 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Wayne

The issue results from the data in the QIF file.

Moneydance see the two Alibaba stocks as different securities.
    It looks like the ticker symbol in the QIF file are different. One being correct (BABA1Detail.png) as BABA the other incorrect (BABA2Detail.png) as ALIBABA GROUP HLDG LTD. The other data in the QIF file that populates these EDIT SECURITY window should also be the same.
    Moneydance can’t return prices for a ticker symbol ALIBABA GROUP HLDG LTD, it’s not valid.

Even if you manually edited the ticker symbol in BABA2Detail.png to be correct Moneydance does not like two instances of the same Security to be listed under TOOLS – SECURITIES. Only one of these will be updated using Quotes and Exchange Rates extension or for that matter the better and faster alternative extension Quote Loader.

You need to fix the source of the QIF file or edit the incorrect security then merge the two securities into one. There is a process that can do this but dependant on the number of transactions involved with these securities can be labour intensive.

If you are not importing a QIF file as a one-time process but hope to regularly import a QIF file then you need to fix the file.

Hope this helps.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• DoubleEntries.png 16.8 KB
  • BABA1.png 18.1 KB
  • BABA1Detail.png 10.3 KB
  • BABA2.png 18.4 KB
  • BABA2Detail.png 11.8 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac