Unrecognized gains & losses on investments

Tom

15 Dec, 2020 08:48 PM

I have investments in common stocks. I want to record the unrecognized market gains and losses each month ... that is, track the fluctuations in the market prices of those stocks. How is this done?

1. 1 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 15 Dec, 2020 08:59 PM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER and Toolbox ‘guy’'s Avatar

Firstly, there is a report called Capital Gains where you can select Unrealised Gains. This is a calculated value as MD does not record gains in the system (just calculates and reports them). Most people will probably tell you to download share prices daily and then just run reports by month/monthend, rather than recording these. Personally, this is the best way to go.

You could also hold the stocks as asset accounts and just record the market value and adjust the balance each month.

A different solution would be to create a 'junk accounting' and also a Unrealised Gains category and each month record a Xfr in/out from your investment account TO/FROM the Unrealised Gains and Junk Account.

So in investment account:
    Xfr +value of u/gain, category Junk
    Xfr -value of u/gain, category unrealised gain.
    (this keeps the cash balance right)

Then you can run normal income/expense reports.

I do the above for real gains... There are problems with the above, but anyway some ideas.

(just a fellow user)

2. 2 Posted by dwg on 15 Dec, 2020 09:05 PM

I'm a fellow user.

The way Moneydance works with investment accounts is that changes in Market value are reflected in the price per share, the value of an investment is shown is the "current" value using the most recent price that Moneydance has.

To automatically download share prices from the markets it is best to use the Quote Loader extension.

3. 3 Posted by Tom Phillips on 15 Dec, 2020 09:11 PM

OK … this gets me started…. Thanks!!!!!

4. 4 Posted by Tom Phillips on 15 Dec, 2020 09:13 PM

Hummmm …. Thanks! This will get me started. Have not used the extensions but I am going to investigate and try it!

Tom

5. 5 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 15 Dec, 2020 09:14 PM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER and Toolbox ‘guy’'s Avatar

Quote Loader is the one!

6. 6 Posted by derekkent23 on 16 Dec, 2020 08:38 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Tom

As Stuart and dwg have suggest try the extension Quote Loader under EXTENSIONS – MANAGE EXTENSION

For information on the features of this extension and how to use see post 106 at
    https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/investments/4914-the...

Download the PDF attached to posts 106 and have a read.

To get an overview take a look at the YouTube videos by using the links on page 1 and 2 of the PDF.

Let us know how you get on or if you need help just post.

Hope this helps.

7. System closed this discussion on 17 Mar, 2021 08:40 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac