Need buy date for 2020 Gains Losses

dcm

18 Dec, 2020 04:10 PM

Finishing up first full year away from Quicken (yea) using MD 2020 (versions 2021) Win 10. Ran Gains Losses for the year and there's no buy date; all report does is tell me long or short term. That's not going to be good enough for IRS! I see no way of adding fields to the report.
Several of my sales involve mutual funds where original share purchases can be in multiple small blocks. In December, they post long and short term gains plus dividends for the year and this happens every year so many buys over the years and as recently as a year or less ago.
Yes, I can plow through and find all the dates but very time consuming. This should be a standard field in a G L report.

1. 1 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 18 Dec, 2020 04:16 PM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER and Toolbox ‘guy’'s Avatar

I can see why the buy date is missing, as there may well be lots of buys for one sale/gain.... I don't know if it helps you, but my script (attached) will extract all investment transactions to a csv file (with lots of filters)...

(a fellow user)

2. 2 Posted by dcm on 18 Dec, 2020 05:55 PM

Thank you Stuart,
    Not used scripts before but have downloaded Python 3.9 (?) and will give it a shot. Not too thrilled at another learning curve as am still dealing with conversion from Q (25 years) to MD (1 year). (Balances are just not stable, but that's another issue altogether.) Still finding, as in this instance, differences in MD where features/functions are just nonexistent. This one couldn't be more basic; a gains report must have original purchase date.
    But again, thank you for sharing your script.

3. 3 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 18 Dec, 2020 06:12 PM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER and Toolbox ‘guy’'s Avatar

Hi, you don't need to download Python..... Within Moneydance, go to Menu>Window>Show Moneybot Console. Click Open, select the script file, click RUN (not run snippet). If on a Mac don't worry about the two *.dylib messages, just click Bin or Ignore.... The script will then run....

4. 4 Posted by dcm on 19 Dec, 2020 06:09 PM

Hi Stuart,
    Script ran like a charm and I easily applied a filter for each stock. Tons of information and I'm sure this will be a useful tool in the future. However, it does not easily give me what I'm looking for. I'm afraid Quicken has MD beaten on this one hands down unless there's a way of altering the report Gains Losses. If the report had that, it would have to pick up all the various blocks that were sold.
    So, unless there's another solution, I will have to enter all the additions for the year then enter the sale in Quicken. Ridiculous waste of time. MD should be able to FULLY handle investments if it's going to handle investment at all!
    Thank you again for your efforts.

5. System closed this discussion on 20 Mar, 2021 06:10 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

24 Jan, 2022 12:53 AM
24 Jan, 2022 12:15 AM
23 Jan, 2022 09:39 PM