Tracking cost basis

rcoffman@sprintmail.com

05 Mar, 2021 06:18 PM

I have donated shares of a mutual fund the charity. The shares were acquired at different times over the years. I need to track which shares have been donated to know my current cost basis for future transactions. On the Securities Detail page there is a clear history of my purchases and sales or transfers. I would like to export that information to a spreadsheet where I can track which shares I have donated and which i retain, but I can't find a way to do that. Right next to that listing is a greyed out button marked "Download" but it doesn't work.

Any suggestions? Thanks

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 05 Mar, 2021 08:18 PM

I'm a fellow user.

The cost basis report should show each individual purchase transaction and can be exported.

If you need to identify specific shares that are sold it sounds like you may need to use Lot Matching in Moneydance to determine costs.

2. 2 Posted by rcoffman@sprint... on 06 Mar, 2021 02:01 PM

Thanks DWG, I had overlooked the Cost basis report by goiing directly to investments. I was able to solve the immediate problem that i posted.

You mention Lot matching in Moneydance. I expected that I would have to do that manually. I am unable to find any mention of lot matching in my version of Moneydance 2021.1 Apparently, the Cost Basis report uses average price to calculate cost basis for individual transfers of shares.

Is lot matching a function I should be able to find within Moneydance?

Thanks again for your fast and helpful answer to my original question.

Ron

3. 3 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 06 Mar, 2021 02:10 PM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER's Avatar

Within the investment account. Top right. Securities. Select your security. Edit. Select lot matching (or whatever it’s called). You will then need to match your buyssells in the pop up window.

(Not support, just a fellow user)

4. 4 Posted by rcoffman@sprint... on 06 Mar, 2021 03:39 PM

Thanks for your quick answer. I have created a spread sheet to understand the complexities of splitting lots an will have to study to see which way is the easiest. Itis always nice to learn that the product you have been using has more capability than you previously knew.

Ron

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

10 Apr, 2021 12:14 PM
10 Apr, 2021 11:30 AM
10 Apr, 2021 11:16 AM