How to record a 401K account when No share or price is available

Jason

08 May, 2021 01:18 AM

Hi. I have a 401K account w/ MassMutual. The quarterly statements I get have the two funds I have, the beginning balance, deposits, withdrawals, expenses, transfers, gain/loss, and ending balance, all in dollar amount. The statements do Not have any information on number of shares and the price per share, the typical stuff you'd get from other investment brokers such as Charles Schwab. Anyway, how would you enter the transactions for my 401K account without number of shares and price per share? I have created an account under INVESTMENTS and created 2 securities for the 2 funds I have. I've tried changing the Type of security to CD to see if it'd track the dollar amount, to no avail. Any recommendations?

1. 1 Posted by mhoggie on 08 May, 2021 02:23 AM

just a user,

No investment info on 401k statement, that's strange, What do they have your money invested in? Maybe a guaranteed interest plan? That would be the only way I could see where they didn't post investment info.

2. 2 Posted by Jason Cheng on 22 May, 2021 04:58 PM

Not sure why they don't show that kind of information.  

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 23 May, 2021 09:02 PM

I'm a fellow user.

A little while back I wrote a response for managing investment date where you have incomplete data or you want to mange the investment at a summary level.

It may give you some ideas, the post can be found at:

https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/investments/5771-loading-a-portfolio-value#comment_49055138

4. 4 Posted by Jason Cheng on 23 May, 2021 11:37 PM

Thank you, dwg, for the suggestion.  

On Sunday, May 23, 2021, 2:03 PM, dwg <[email blocked]> wrote:

#yiv3390351560 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv3390351560 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}
    |

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac