Securities

Mark

11 Jul, 2021 03:00 PM

I have duplicate Securities, How do I merge the into one?

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 11 Jul, 2021 06:17 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Mark

The following assumes you have more than one investment account with the same security held in both accounts.

You should only ever set up one instance of a security with a given ticker symbol under TOOLS – SECURITIES. You can then add this security to more than one investment account.

If you have more than two investment accounts and have thus set up more than two versions of the same security the process principle is the same you are working towards having only one version of the subject security in all your accounts resulting in the subject security being listed only once under TOOLS – SECURITIES.

To correct this situation, proceed as follows:

First do a FILE (MONEYDANCE on Mac) – EXPORT BACKUP in case you make a mistake.

You will need to perform this process for each duplicated Security.

Determine which of the investment accounts has the least transactions related to the subject security.

1. In the investment account SECURITY DETAIL tab use the drop down to select the subject security. Click HISTORY then EDIT and change the name of the Security to CHANGE ME.

2. Then in the same investment account SECURITY DETAIL tab, click ADD SECURITY and add the subject security to the account.

3. Now click on the REGISTER tab and select the transactions that contain CHANGE ME in the SECURITY field using the dropdown to select the subject security. You need to do this everywhere a transaction contains CHANGE ME.

4. Back in the SECURITY DETAIL tab click on REMOVE SECURITY and select CHANGE ME in the dropdown. Then click OK.

Done, now when you check under TOOLS – SECURITIES there is only one subject security.

Another user had the same issue. In his case he had the security “Vanguard Short-Term Bond Index Fund ETF Shares” duplicated under TOOLS – SECURITIES.
    I put together a YouTube video that showed the corrective action I had laid out for him. Take a look it will help you to understand the corrective process. Use this link to go to a YouTube video. https://youtu.be/Mulo9XkklAY

Hope this helps.

2. 2 Posted by Mark Boldenow on 12 Jul, 2021 11:37 AM

Thank you I’ll try it

Sent from my iPhone

3. System closed this discussion on 11 Oct, 2021 11:40 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac