Cryptocurrencies and decimals

fabio.grasso

25 Aug, 2021 07:37 AM

Hello,
I'm using Moneydance to track my investment and I've also some Cryptocurrencies. In Moneydance I'm managing them as if they were stocks.

I have difficulties in managing decimals because Moneydance rounds the number of stock to the fifth decimal.

Since many cryptocurrencies have high values (eg Bitcoin) it often happens that you have to split up expenses and use very small numbers.
At the same time there are cryptocurrencies with very low values, even in this case they are difficult to manage.

Is it possible to somehow increase the supported decimals for both the value and the number of shares in a transaction?

Thanks

1. 1 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 25 Aug, 2021 07:54 AM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER and Toolbox ‘guy’'s Avatar

The dpc is set when you first create the Security. The toolbox extension allows you to see this hidden setting. You must be on MD2021.1(3069+).

Get the latest toolbox PREVIEW from:
    https://github.com/yogi1967/MoneydancePythonScripts/raw/master/tool...
    https://yogi1967.github.io/MoneydancePythonScripts/

Unzip, with MD open, double click toolbox.mxt. Accept the signing warnings.

MD Menu, extensions, toolbox.
    Toolbox Menu, Currency and Security tools. List dpc settings.

There is also a new feature in this PREVIEW. Menu/Options/advanced mode. then back to security menu. Edit Security hidden dpc setting. You can increase the dpc.

Note, whilst this has been fully tested, it is in preview.

Always backup first and check results afterwards.

Let me know if you use it?

2. 2 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 25 Aug, 2021 08:27 AM

PS. Please install the latest MD Preview version 2021.2(3095) from https://infinitekind.com/preview BEFORE running this edit dpc option in the new preview toolbox.

The reason for this is that the latest MD preview 2021.2 addresses some underlying currency/security rate data issues that might already pre-exist in your dataset. Toolbox will not run if it detects these issues. Hence the latest MD preview is required.

(Not support, just a fellow user)

3. 3 Posted by derekkent23 on 25 Aug, 2021 08:33 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi fabio.grasso

Have you tried Quote Loader as a means of obtaining Cryptocurrency prices?

Quote Loader can be found under EXTENSIONS – MANAGE EXTENSION

For information on the features of this extension and how to use see post 199 at
    https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/investments/4914-the...

Download the PDF’s attached to post 199 and have a read.

To get an overview take a look at the YouTube videos by using the links on page 1 and 2 of the PDF Quote Loader Extension by Mike Bray Moneydance 2019-2020-2021 V9.5

A second PDF covers Cryptocurrencies and cryptocurrency investments see Quote Loader Extension, Moneydance 2019-2020-2021 Handling Cryptocurrencies and Market Indices & Futures V4.3

When you set up a new cryptocurrency as an exchange rate or a security to add to an Investment account it’s important to set the Max. Decimal Places as shown in the second PDF.
    Once set this setting can not be changed unless you use an extension called Toolbox in Advanced Mode, MENU Currency and Security tools as described by Stuart.

Notes taken from Toolbox

‘The Decimal Places setting on a security relates only to the qty of shares on transactions, the stock holding qty balance, and related LOT Control records. ...the (max) decimal precision is set by the user when a Security is first created. It is subsequently hidden and not editable in standard MD. ...This function allows you to change it. Related records will be properly updated.’

Hope this helps.

4. 4 Posted by fabio.grasso on 26 Aug, 2021 08:52 AM

@Stuart: thank you! I've followed your instruction, updated to 2021.2(3095) and installed the preview of toolbox plugin. I was able to change the decimal of my currency and it seems that it worked well.

@derekkent23: thanks, I'm already using Quote Loader but I've missed that part of documentation. Thank you for sharing it.

Now I've just another problem: the fix on decimal changed the minimum part of stock quantity, but it seems I cannot change decimals of the price.

I.e. I've some tokens of Safemoon cryptocurrency (yes... I know that's a shitcoin, I've just few for speculative purpose ;-) )
    Their price is now around 0.00000144€ but when I put this number in Moneydance is rounded to 0.000002.

Do you know if there is some way to increase also decimals in price?

This is the only currency that need a such high number of decimals and I not plan to keep it for long time, so it's not a big issue if I cannot handle the correct number of decimals.

Thanks

5. 5 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 26 Aug, 2021 08:57 AM

Toolbox 🧰 +1 😃

6. 6 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 26 Aug, 2021 09:00 AM

@fabio: I assume you mean on the Tools>Securities screen? Yes, the current price field does a rounding on display to 6 dpc. This is an internal MD code 'thing'. But I also believe the underlying data is stored to infinite dpc. Can you update this price using QL (and set QL dpc to 8). This should force the data in, even tho' when you look it seems to be 6dpc. Let me know..?

7. System closed this discussion on 25 Nov, 2021 09:10 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac