add investments at zero cost i.e. increase stock quantity at no cost

Nick Pell

07 Oct, 2021 02:51 PM

Hello,
I created some cryptocurrencies as an investment item and I treat them like they were shares.
All is working fine except that I lately received some cryptocurrencies for free, simply participating at some surveys.
So I wanted to add the additional quantities of crypto to my portfolio at no cost.
However when I do a buy transaction with 0 cost and 0 amount the system goes beserk and automatically inputs a unit cost of 1000000.
How can I solve my problem?

1. 1 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 07 Oct, 2021 03:27 PM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER and Toolbox ‘guy’'s Avatar

Put 0.0001 as the price.

2. 2 Posted by Nick Pell on 07 Oct, 2021 04:10 PM

Sorry Stuart, it does not work. but it accepts the transaction if I put 0,001. However that brings me to a total cost of 0,03 which is no good

3. 3 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 07 Oct, 2021 04:27 PM

So what was the market value when you received them? My understanding is that even as a gift, your cost basis is the market value. For example: if they were market value £1 but you received as a free gift, then you should ‘buy’ them as £1. If you sell them later for £2 then your gain is £1 and not £2 ?? To do this I have a fake category where I put anything like this.

4. 4 Posted by Nick Pell on 07 Oct, 2021 05:28 PM

Thank you Stuart, but that won't work for me. I really need to have the TRUE cost, i.e. what actually I paid for for those cryptos.
    If nothing else come up, I could just enter the minimum possible cost. e.g. 0,001 and then make another entry of MiscInc on that crypto for the same amount. In this way the balance cost should be zero
    What you think of this solution?

5. 5 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 07 Oct, 2021 05:48 PM

yes, or even 0.00000001... and something like a sell 0 shares for the cost might work to adjust the CB... 👍

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac