Changing aggregate value of portfolio

Michael Pearce

06 Nov, 2021 02:41 PM

I am a UK user and have an ISA account logged as an Asset. When I came to MoneyDance (donkey's years ago) I entered the total value of the ISA portfolio and then have subsequently posted changes in the aggregate value of the ISA to an Income category which I have titled Value increase/decrease. This works well when I am looking at my Net Worth but it complicates my Income and Expenditure analysis. Is there a better (correct?) way of doing this?

1. 1 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 06 Nov, 2021 02:50 PM

Yup.... Depends on how many shares/funds your ISA holds (assuming stocks and shares)? If it's stocks and shares then create an investment account and add securities (one for each fund/share). Set up the correct ticker and use the QuoteLoader extension to auto update the prices... Then you never have to make value adjustments and the portfolio will correctly value to the latest price...

OR.... Just create a "junk accounting" category, and post your asset gains/losses to this and then ignore the junk accounting cat from all reports...

2. 2 Posted by Michael Pearce on 06 Nov, 2021 02:59 PM

I have a number of individual investments in the ISA, all purchased over the last X years and it would be v time consuming to go back over every purchase and sale. From your response I think that I wil stick with my ‘work around’ and when I do an Income & Expenditure analysis I will continue to deduct any changes in the Increase/Decrease ‘junk accounting’ account.
    However I am bcc’ing a friend who I have recently introduced to MD and I think will find your answer v helpful.
    In any event thank you for your response - it has answered a question I have been meaning to research for some years.

Michael Pearce

[email blocked]<mailto:[email blocked]>

Tel: 01442 851403
    Mob: 07771 508816

On 6 Nov 2021, at 14:50, Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER and Toolbox ‘guy’ <[email blocked]<mailto:[email blocked]>> wrote:

3. 3 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 06 Nov, 2021 03:03 PM

4. 4 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 06 Nov, 2021 03:03 PM

Given it's an ISA so tax is not a problem... Then there is a middle ground....

Just create one buy for the number of shares you hold now, per share... No need to reproduce all the individual buys over the years.... The buy funds can come from the junk accounting category.... You can get the current share holding from your annual statement....

5. 5 Posted by Michael Pearce on 06 Nov, 2021 03:06 PM

I will think about that approach. The ISA’s are held on a platform so I can get the current info v easily. Thank you.

Michael Pearce

Tel: 01442 851403
    Mob: 07771 508816

On 6 Nov 2021, at 15:03, Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER and Toolbox ‘guy’ <[email blocked]<mailto:[email blocked]>> wrote:

6. 6 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 06 Nov, 2021 03:11 PM

I did the same as you for years, and then I got fed up with it.... Now it's set up, I never have to amend the valuation(s)... It's a doddle and always correct...

7. 7 Posted by Michael Pearce on 06 Nov, 2021 03:15 PM

You are obviously a ‘serious’ user. On another topic…. Any idea how/if I can use iCloud rather than Dropbox so synch across my (and my wife’s) iPhone, iPad, Mac, etc?

Michael Pearce

01442 851403
    07771 508816

8. 8 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 06 Nov, 2021 03:42 PM

You can't. The iCloud to IOS feature does not yet exist (but they are promising it)....

9. 9 Posted by dwg on 06 Nov, 2021 07:37 PM

I'm a fellow user.

I have funds that it would be extremely time consuming at best to get individual transaction details etc, what I can readily get is the total value.

The approach I have taken is to do an initial buy at 1.00 so my investment is initially the same as the number of units (shares) owned. Since then each month I get the current value and work out a price per share that I use to update the price in Moneydance. If I buy or sell anything I do the calculation at the time to get the current price and do a buy/sell of the calculated number of units.

So in effect I have a calculated price and a calculated number of units but the end result is my value in Moneydance is close to the value of the fund (rounding errors are present < 1.00).

To make it easier I just put the calculatiosns into a spreadsheet show just need to enter numbers in the right fields to get the figures I need.

I took this approach because of the way Moneydance works with investments, valuation is based on the number of shares owned and the price per share.

10. System closed this discussion on 05 Feb, 2022 07:40 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac